Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cold feet...LS6 or 6.0L?

This is a discussion on Cold feet...LS6 or 6.0L? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; looked them up on google,found a site that sells the hvs 2300,only had kits for gto and 2010 camaro platform,would ...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

looked them up on google,found a site that sells the hvs 2300,only had kits for gto and 2010 camaro platform,would install on a 4th gen require some "tinkering".gto kit i assume but those car had a diffenent type air box and drive by wire tb.gotta do more research,but thanks, this setup with my current mods and a crate ls6 should put well over 500 to the ground with low boost.
    2007 Corvette...stock...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    looked them up on google,found a site that sells the hvs 2300,only had kits for gto and 2010 camaro platform,would install on a 4th gen require some "tinkering".gto kit i assume but those car had a diffenent type air box and drive by wire tb.gotta do more research,but thanks, this setup with my current mods and a crate ls6 should put well over 500 to the ground with low boost.
    Well over 500 with LS6 and mods would be no challenge. Low 600 should be attainable with the better flowing Heads and bigger cam. I would love to swap this on my H/C build, I'd be probably mid to high 600's

No prob bud, now back to the regular scheduled thread. Sorry for thread jack OP.

EDIT: Just saw low boost. True dat playa!
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

back on subject x2....ls6 ftw.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I originally said 408 but after reading other thread and such, I'm going to go with LS6 due to cheaper. I understand how the OP is, I bought my SS when I was 19 and went power hungry with it. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt because its a aged platform. I want a C6Z bad

Go with the good performance at reasonable cost. Then go from there.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    a 408 will also do that!!! he can get a warranty if he finds a long-block 408 or a crate 408... just have to find the right company... ls6 in the long run will run up the price like crazy 7k-9k with tranny/clutch, axel, and suspension parts... ls6 if u can get it for $3400 or w/e u still need a tranny/clutch 1k-3k, axel 2k-3k, suspension 1k-2k(depending on what all u get?) ur already looking at $7400-$11,000 plus the motor isnt even forged yet? prices will vary but 408 will save the money in the long run IMO!!!
    Whoa guys idk how u think an ls6 would be close to the same price as a 408... The ls6 longblock can be had from scoggin dickey for 3450 or so shipped to your house then you simply use all your ls1 parts to swap it in. With a 408 and l92 heads you cannot use the ls1 intake,tb, or injectors, you will need a much better clutch than an ls7 and the tranny and axle will not hold up as well as with an ls6 until you can upgrade. Even if you have 7500 in the ls6 with all the upgraded components youd still be spending 4k more for the same setup with a 408 because of the cost to build the motor so my point would still be valid. the ls6 is cheaper and more cost effective and in the long run you could simply mod it as you build up other parts on the car...
    Last edited by redbird555; 03-20-2011 at 11:15 PM.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Oh and btw the maggie will fit under the stock cowl just need to cut a small area and lower the k member 3/4" if you still want your wipers to work. Thats an option I didnt even really think of you could maggie the ls6 after the warranty is up and make 480ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpms all through the rpm rage and no 408 will replicate that. Bottom line is that an ls6 will be cheaper now and if you want to mod it later after you upgrade everything else then great and you can still make stupid power. But to do a 408 now would cost more money and you would be breaking things left and right with the power...oh and to 02transamce the kit used to fit a maggie to an fbody is a corvette blower with a special snout and is sold here by mti racing http://mtiracing.com/Camaro-Supercharger.html. (no other sponsor sells this so i dont think the link will be taken down) anyway the kit uses an mp112 blower which is good for about 10psi anything bigger and you'll probably want to step up to the mp122 blower.
    Last edited by redbird555; 03-20-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Whoa guys idk how u think an ls6 would be close to the same price as a 408... The ls6 longblock can be had from scoggin dickey for 3450 or so shipped to your house then you simply use all your ls1 parts to swap it in. With a 408 and l92 heads you cannot use the ls1 intake,tb, or injectors, you will need a much better clutch than an ls7 and the tranny and axle will not hold up as well as with an ls6 until you can upgrade. Even if you have 7500 in the ls6 with all the upgraded components youd still be spending 4k more for the same setup with a 408 because of the cost to build the motor so my point would still be valid. the ls6 is cheaper and more cost effective and in the long run you could simply mod it as you build up other parts on the car...
    well first off im going with a Monster Stage 3 clutch
    second. stress on the suspension----wouldnt this be how i drive it? i mean yes i no the 408 is a torque moster...but i might keep it a 402 for now. (another undecisive)

answer me this.
    block, heads and cam package, rotating assembly, swap off the ls1 interchangibles
    ^^^^^^^
    what else am i missing besides TB, intake, and injectors?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    well first off im going with a Monster Stage 3 clutch
    second. stress on the suspension----wouldnt this be how i drive it? i mean yes i no the 408 is a torque moster...but i might keep it a 402 for now. (another undecisive)

answer me this.
    block, heads and cam package, rotating assembly, swap off the ls1 interchangibles
    ^^^^^^^
    what else am i missing besides TB, intake, and injectors?
    Ok so then youd be good one the clutch. 402 or 408 they make the same torque its just a few cubes after all. Anyway people blow rear ends on stock power on easy shifts... Does that mean its going to happen to you on the 408? No not necessarily but I garuntee you its much more easily done than on a ls6 or ls1 which like i said people blow up pretty easy not driving hard anyway. Besides the above you are missing a complete gasket set for the motor which is around 500 bucks depending on what head gaskets you get. The ls6 would need water pump gaskets and thats pretty much it and theyre about 15 bucks. Also lifters so theres atleast 100 more if you go stock that is plus the lifter trays are another 50. And the ls1 valley cover will work on a 408 but honestley the ls6 one is much better with controlling oil consumption so that with the coolant lines for the heads your looking at another 120 ish. And if your pushing over 450 to the wheels with the 408 which youd be damn close to doing id consider a fuel pump which is 250.
    Sooo.
    ls6=400rwhp
    cost:+- $3600 plus suspension and drivetrain of choice
    total:maybe 4000 with warranty
    408=450whp
    $5700 for heads and cam and shortblock.
    $600-up for intake and injectors/tb
    $500 for gaskets
    fuel pump $250 maybe
    Valley cover and coolant lines $120
    Lifters $100
    Oil Pump $100
    Rockers: $130 from GMPD (stock ls1's are different from l92 heads)
    total: $7500-up plus drivetrain of choice
    Point I'm trying to make here is the fact that the ls6 comes ready to go literally bolt on your crap and go... The 408 may look cost competitive at first glance but the above list is just what I thought of off the top of my head there are probably other little nickel and diming things i missed wereas the ls6 is already a complete engine.
    Last edited by redbird555; 03-21-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could even go H/C/I with the LS6 and go with a FAST intake and larger throttlebody with LTs and that should be good. At least in my opinion anyway.

Sheeesh Basham, I can't believe you are still on the fence about this, you're worse than a,,,, well out of respect for the woman present I won't finish that sentence.
    Just pick one and buy it already.

Basically a 408 with L92 heads will be a money pit because you can't use much of anything that you already have.

LS6 crate is cheap and it's a breeze to swap. Your own throttle body and intake will work. No extension harnesses needed, it's all plug and play, great gas mileage, plenty of power, probably more than you'll know what to do with.

For a car that is mainly a driver,,,I don't know about you but the choice is easy for me.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    You could even go H/C/I with the LS6 and go with a FAST intake and larger throttlebody with LTs and that should be good. At least in my opinion anyway.
    Exactly what ive said, run it till the warranty is up then upgrade the drivetrain and motor when ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Sheeesh Basham, I can't believe you are still on the fence about this, you're worse than a,,,, well out of respect for the woman present I won't finish that sentence.

Basically a 408 with L92 heads will be a money pit because you can't use much of anything that you already have.

LS6 crate is cheap and it's a breeze to swap. Your own throttle body and intake will work. No extension harnesses needed, it's all plug and play, great gas mileage, plenty of power, probably more than you'll know what to do with.

For a car that is mainly a driver,,,I don't know about you but the choice is easy for me.
    Exactly thanks for the backup guys lol my case and point right here an ls6 is more power than anyone needs.

Impounded
    Needs and Wants are two differnt concepts.
    However again redbird and firebirdjones have reinforced my prior decision...
    LS6 it is i can always upgrade later.
    Thanks guys.

I was thinking LS6 intake and a ported LS1 TB?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Hey Basham its all good btw whats is your name? feels weird to call you by your user name all the time I'm Dan btw lol. Anyway I'm in the same boat as you on sunday I picked up a complete ls6 engine minus the heads from a z06 with 5k on the engine for $500 I couldnt be happier by the end of may I'll have the heads and valvetrain on it and have a basically new ls6 for around 1200 bucks so you and i will basically have the same combo only difference is mine will be in front of an auto. And ya the ls6 intake and ported tb is a great afforable mod the ls1 will work but the ls6 will be good for another 15whp.
    Dan-

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i did the LS6 swap years ago...

Impounded
    Well my name is Josh Basham but there are 6 other Josh's in my class so everyone calls me Basham.
    And Spaz tell me your expierence with the ls6?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

This is my opinion aswell and a route I was thinking of going.
    You could do a simple cam/valvespring swap on the LS6 before it goes in also.

Too bad they don't have a Goodwrench LS2 long block available cause that would be the way to go.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Needs and Wants are two differnt concepts.
    However again redbird and firebirdjones have reinforced my prior decision...
    LS6 it is i can always upgrade later.
    Thanks guys.

I was thinking LS6 intake and a ported LS1 TB?
    I'm just poking fun at ya Basham. With ~400 RWHP right out of the crate along with a Frost tune, you'll have a fun little Fbody for very little money. Do a cam and it gets even better for not much more money.

And yes, an LS6 intake and ported throttle body is cheap, and it'll work fine for what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    This is my opinion aswell and a route I was thinking of going.
    You could do a simple cam/valvespring swap on the LS6 before it goes in also.

Too bad they don't have a Goodwrench LS2 long block available cause that would be the way to go.
    LS6 crate with a nice cam would be a stout little piece.

red+black
    98 z28 ls6

i just got a ls6 long block and im switching over any suggestions for easy bolt on upgrades like shorty headers (brands, prices), i have a borla exhaust its a 98 auto 373 gears new tranny slp lip. i think thats all. any suggestions budget minded??

Impounded
    I'm just poking fun at ya Basham. With ~400 RWHP right out of the crate along with a Frost tune, you'll have a fun little Fbody for very little money. Do a cam and it gets even better for not much more money.

And yes, an LS6 intake and ported throttle body is cheap, and it'll work fine for what you are doing.
    Yeah. I think i just got a little power hungry.
    After driving the 3.4L Monte Carlo....my ws6 feels a hell of alot better.
    After this ls6 and some suspension goodies....im thinking forged and procharge'd

....what? Its good to dream...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information