Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

CME or not?

This is a discussion on CME or not? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I vote "YES" fot the CME:...

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

I vote "YES" fot the CME:

Now that's definately an aftermarket valance, and tips. It's a good enough picture to see in that case.
    As a matter of fact,,,those appear to be the thin stainless steel tips that were replicated a few years back. I haven't seen a set of those in a long time.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Thanks for the invite

Click for full size

Click for full size

Above is two pics of mine prior to the CME. Part of me thinks just like you posted above. I think the rear end of my car looked more aggressive with the dual/dual Borla setup. I also liked the tone of the Borla better than my CME/GMMG clone setup. However, I do also like the look of the CME, plus its a more unique setup for the Camaro's. I also do not regret putting the CME on mine. One aspect of the dual/dual look I dislike for the Camaro, is they don't have designated spot for the tips like the TA/WS6 does. Here is a pic of what I mean:

Click for full size

I think the above is a great look. Even more so than the CME look.

Here is a pic of mine with the CME now:

Click for full size

Neither way you decide to go will be wrong or look bad. Both have their positives. I didn't mention it earlier, but my valance and tips are both OEM parts. Good luck with whichever route you go.
    thanks preston...
    i agree when you say the camaros dont have the designed place for the tips like the other cars, and with cme looks more detail done to our cars, both ways look great, and i decided to get the CME, i dont see that around my area, so i'll put it on and keep the old tips just in case something happens in the future.

thanks for the help and nice looking car.. i love the plates lol..
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have both versions,,,a factory dual/dual SS, and a factory CME SS. The CME is a much better looking piece. I never liked dual tips all that much on the camaro's, they just look like they are looking for a place to go.
    If you don't do the CME then I would personally much rather prefer hidden tips and get rid of it all together.

I've also seen the aftermarket tips and aftermarket valances on the market,,,I can clearly see differences from my factory setup. They definately aren't exact replica's, and after seeing both upclose I can easily spot an added aftermarket CME in person. But for an add on, they look nice and get the job done.

Here is one of the only shots of the back of mine that I currently have. That's an original OEM setup.

Click for full size
    that was other option i had,, hide the tips or put turn downs on my car, but
    at the end i was either the tips i got or cme. but im def goin for cme,.
    thanks for the picture,, is taht aftermarket valance on your car?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    I vote "YES" fot the CME:
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    damn nice car man... black looks killer with cme... i made up my mind im goin for cme,, looks very nice...

what rims you have on the car?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

If I had a Camaro, CME or dumps. I haven't seen, in person, any other good looking exhaust set up, it always looks out of place on these "newer" looking cars. Older muscle cars it seems more acceptable to me, but thats IMO.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Now that's definately an aftermarket valance, and tips. It's a good enough picture to see in that case.
    As a matter of fact,,,those appear to be the thin stainless steel tips that were replicated a few years back. I haven't seen a set of those in a long time.
    Actually,you're 50% correct............the car came originally with the SLP CME. The original tips were pulled off and replaced with the stainless tips. I'm at work right now but I have the paperwork at home where I got the tips from......I'll check it and let you know where I got them from......

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    damn nice car man... black looks killer with cme... i made up my mind im goin for cme,, looks very nice...

what rims you have on the car?
    Thanks........
    The rims:
    http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/ite...+484M5R+eq++Tp+

Actually,you're 50% correct............the car came originally with the SLP CME. The original tips were pulled off and replaced with the stainless tips. I'm at work right now but I have the paperwork at home where I got the tips from......I'll check it and let you know where I got them from......
    I wasn't knocking your car, I actually like that style of tip you have,,,much less maintanance. The factory aluminum tips with the polished lips are a pain in the ass,,,,I can't go around the block without having break out the Mothers polish and hit the tips with it. They discolor quickly from the fumes, and I don't mean black soot either.
    You wouldn't have that problem with the "no-lip" tips you have, and I wouldn't mind have a set of those just for that reason.

I saw the aftermarket tips right away, but I'd have to see a better pic of that valance. It appears in that picture, that is doesn't have the extra lip at the bumper junction which is how all the aftermarket valances are produced.
    I'll throw up a better pic of a factory valance on mine to explain what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    that was other option i had,, hide the tips or put turn downs on my car, but
    at the end i was either the tips i got or cme. but im def goin for cme,.
    thanks for the picture,, is taht aftermarket valance on your car?
    Nope, that's all factory stuff installed when it was new. I'll throw up a better pic later, maybe someone can throw up a pic of an aftermarket valance close up and installed and I'll point out the differences.

Ya, it's either hide the tips or a CME in my opinion. As a matter of fact,,,I can't stand the looks of my wifes factory dual/dual on her SS, so I bought a 3 1/2 inch Mufflex system with the hidden tailpipe so you won't see that stuff anymore.

Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Click for full size
    I want that!! Where did you get it!! And how much?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Coydawg6 View Post
    I want that!! Where did you get it!! And how much?
    Looks photoshopped to me.

Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Now that I zoom in on it it does

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

I wasn't knocking your car, I actually like that style of tip you have,,,much less maintanance. The factory aluminum tips with the polished lips are a pain in the ass,,,,I can't go around the block without having break out the Mothers polish and hit the tips with it. They discolor quickly from the fumes, and I don't mean black soot either.
    You wouldn't have that problem with the "no-lip" tips you have, and I wouldn't mind have a set of those just for that reason.

I saw the aftermarket tips right away, but I'd have to see a better pic of that valance. It appears in that picture, that is doesn't have the extra lip at the bumper junction which is how all the aftermarket valances are produced.
    I'll throw up a better pic of a factory valance on mine to explain what I mean.
    No problem, I was not taking it in a negative context.
    Your quite corect about the tips, one of the major reasons I switched out the original SLP's.
    In checking my paperwork, (I have binder that's about 5 inches thick with every piece of documentation on everything that's been done to my SS from day 1) the tips came from a company called SpeedSpecialty, who unfortunately, are now defunct.
    However, if interested, there is another vendor who makes a very similiar tip. Since they are not a vendor here, if you are interested, I can pm you the info

Here ya go 98maro. A better shot of a factory installed CME.

See how the valance has another molded section that changes angles right before it connects to the bottom of the bumper?? That's one way to tell a factory piece. The aftermarkets don't have that. You can also crawl under the car and see differences in them.
    Also the aftermarket tips are easy to spot. This is an original pair, with only a single short support brace spanning accross the tips. There are a couple of other differences in the aftermarket tips if you crawl under the car and look.

No problem, I was not taking it in a negative context.
    Your quite corect about the tips, one of the major reasons I switched out the original SLP's.
    In checking my paperwork, (I have binder that's about 5 inches thick with every piece of documentation on everything that's been done to my SS from day 1) the tips came from a company called SpeedSpecialty, who unfortunately, are now defunct.
    However, if interested, there is another vendor who makes a very similiar tip. Since they are not a vendor here, if you are interested, I can pm you the info
    Please PM me the info. I'd love to have that style tip and tuck the factory tips away. Thanks fxgs.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Looks photoshopped to me.
    It is photoshopped. It was something someone was tossing around manufacturing a few years ago I believe. As far as I remember, it never happened though.

Actually that stuff is made now. FXGS just PM'd me a site that sells all that stuff along with other various exhaust tips, very interesting stuff.

Hold on a minute and then check your PMs Y2K

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I like where this is going.

Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Pm me that site!! Please? Lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information