Clutch problem

This is a discussion on Clutch problem within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Last night I was cruising around in my 99 ws6 and after hitting the gas to the floor on 1st ...

Blue
    99 Trans Am WS6

Clutch problem

Last night I was cruising around in my 99 ws6 and after hitting the gas to the floor on 1st gear the clutch pedal felt loose when I tried to shift to 2nd and long story short the car won't go in to gear but if I start the car on 1st gear I can drive it and shift it by RPMs w/o using the clutch so my guess is that either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder is bad. Any ideas on what could be wrong before I buy a part that I don't need?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by meanws6 View Post
    Last night I was cruising around in my 99 ws6 and after hitting the gas to the floor on 1st gear the clutch pedal felt loose when I tried to shift to 2nd and long story short the car won't go in to gear but if I start the car on 1st gear I can drive it and shift it by RPMs w/o using the clutch so my guess is that either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder is bad. Any ideas on what could be wrong before I buy a part that I don't need?
    can u disengage the clutch at all? for when u stop and go?
    double check your fluid... if thats good i would look into that master cylinder!!

Blue
    99 Trans Am WS6

The fluid is good but the clutch pedal feels like when you are bleeding the air on the brake lines, it just go to the floor with no resistance. I'm just not sure that the master cylinder will fail like that with no early warning and want to make sure that there is nothing else that could be the cause for this to happen.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

to check if its the master cylinder take off the cap for the fluid have someone press in the clutch pedal if the fluid level rises then the master cylinder is bad....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

There isn't really a good way to tell which one is bad. It seems likely that its the master cylinder that failed but I'd recommend doing both the master and the slave at the same time on these cars. These hydraulic clutch systems on our cars take alot of abuse. Starting with a fresh new master and slave and fresh clean fluid will give you good results.
    And only use good quality parts here also. We heard quite a few stories of bad masters from Autozone, O'reily's, etc. I recommend a GM slave and a GM master(with the drill mod), or a Tick master. Some have also had good luck with Ram masters.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Op if you are going to change the master I also recommend that you drill out the 2 holes in the fire wall a little bigger then they currently are. Not too big just one or two sizes bigger. It will give you some wiggle room when you go to install the U bolt that retains it against the fire wall. Otherwise it's a mofo to get it straight in.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like the clutch collapsed

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The fluid is good but the clutch pedal feels like when you are bleeding the air on the brake lines, it just go to the floor with no resistance. I'm just not sure that the master cylinder will fail like that with no early warning and want to make sure that there is nothing else that could be the cause for this to happen.
    There are a few members here who have gone through the same thing you are going through right now. Blown master/line. Either you're losing fluid, or you're losing pressure. Time to swap it out as stated before. And I also agree with swapping out the slave as well. Do it all at once and you'll be good to go.

Thread Information