White
    1997 Trans Am

Question Clunking/Rattling Noise in my T/A

Guys,

I have read a lot of post about the clunking/rattling noise coming from the rear-ends of a lot of your F-body cars, but I don't see a lot of remedies on what people did to fix the problem. My car was not doing it when I bought it four years ago, but it started a few months after and now the sound is not only on the right side, but appears to have shifted over to the passenger side as well. The car only has 48,000 miles on it, but maybe both shocks have gone bad. If I bounce the rear up and down, I don't hear anything, but if I push it from side to side, I can hear something that sounds familiar to what I hear inside the car. The darn noise is driving me out of my mind as it comes from any little bump the tires may pick up. For those of you who have found the problem, please give me answers.

Mike

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Based on your descrip, it sounds like your rear control arm(the bars on the top of the rear axle) bushings are shot and need to be replaced.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You could also check all the bolts - torque arm, panhard bar, ect. as sometimes they come loose or even oblongate the holes they pass through.

White
    1997 Trans Am

Thanks for the quick replies so far. I have to take the T/A to the shop this weekend to have the stupid intake manifold oil leak repaired. I know it will cost me, but my tools are in storage and with work, I just don't have the time I need to do it. Again, if there is anyone on this site who had the same type of clunking noise in the rear of their Trans Am that was not the differential and you found what it was, please let me in on it. If I had to agree, the upper control arm bushings going bad would make sense since they are on both sides in the rear of the car where the noise is coming from.

Thread Information