Impounded

'00 Z28 M6 NBM
    I piss excellence.

clunking noise driving me insane

My '00 Z28 has just over 90xxx on the clock, never driven hard. For the past month I have heard horrible clunking & it's progressively getting worse.

Anytime I slow down at a light you can feel & hear something jerking back & forth. Also when throttle is applied you can feel something tugging underneath the car, especially in 3rd gear for whatever reason.

Today I finally have time to lift the car and take a look around. I plan on inspecting motor & tranny mounts, as well as bushings, along with the driveshaft u joints. Anything else I should check while the car is up, if heaven forbid, I still haven't found the culprit.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Gotta kinda shake these things down yourself. Could be anything under there. I never seem to have a problem finding these tho. Check the control arms out for play.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

If it only happens while slowing down it might be a bearing in the rear end.

Is it M6 or A4? If M6 the shifter will move up and down if its the tranny mount.

Tranny mounts are sometimes VERY hard to see broken. I have had them look broken and then I've had some that looked just fine but after taking the cross member off it was in two pieces..

Let us know what happens.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Impounded

'00 Z28 M6 NBM
    I piss excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    If it only happens while slowing down it might be a bearing in the rear end.

Is it M6 or A4? If M6 the shifter will move up and down if its the tranny mount.

Tranny mounts are sometimes VERY hard to see broken. I have had them look broken and then I've had some that looked just fine but after taking the cross member off it was in two pieces..

Let us know what happens.
    Unfortunately I think you hit it dead on....something is broke in the rear end....fluid is splattered all over the place, not just normal seepage, its all the way from the diff. to the tranny & I can hear grinding noises back there.....

...& yes its a m6 & yes when I accelerate WOT the shifter bobs up & down, so I'll be taking the cross member off to check that out.....

its starting to snow & is 20 degrees outside so I didnt mess around w/ it too long.

...me & my dad are gonna put i on the hydraulic lift saturday to find out exactly what the damage is & i'll be back with an update.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Torsen diffs make banging/clunking noises while slowing and turning. Sound may be normal actually. Do search for "Can of marbles" or "marbles" in the drivetrain section here or LS1 Tech and see. My car did this brand new since day one. The fluid could be just pinion seal. Good luck.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

i know this sounds kind of silly, but but my spare was loose and make a shit load of clunking noises.

Impounded

'00 Z28 M6 NBM
    I piss excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    i know this sounds kind of silly, but but my spare was loose and make a shit load of clunking noises.
    this is coming from under my seat...can hear/feel it....

....I have a NOS bottle where the spare tire goes

02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Torsen diffs make banging/clunking noises while slowing and turning. Sound may be normal actually. Do search for "Can of marbles" or "marbles" in the drivetrain section here or LS1 Tech and see. My car did this brand new since day one. The fluid could be just pinion seal. Good luck.
    whaaat? is the torsen diffs stock? i have an 02 z28 and this happened to me before. put the car on jacks and went to town and boom, tranny mount was done, and tranny tail housing was cracked. changed everything brand new from the dealer and there was still clunking but not as loud before. now its getting loud again. no leaks though. i really would be mad if its the tranny mount again. this goes to everybody just be 100% sure. does the clunking/banging noise really normal for the stock diff? because i was planning on jacking up my car and put her on jacks saturday morning. and my spare tire is pretty tight on the side. and also, now when i start going over 100mph, the car vibrates.. i wonder if its my tires, because ive been burning em up and theyre bald. and im guessing its the alignment?

White
    01 SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by koda.Z28 View Post
    My '00 Z28 has just over 90xxx on the clock, never driven hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by koda.Z28 View Post
    ....I have a NOS bottle where the spare tire goes
    Hmmmmm. How does that work?

Thread Information