pewter mettalic
    99 Z28

Clunking and bumping noises-Trans mount?

When accelerating at light throttle I get a bump noise coming from the tranny and a clunk noise sometimes when rolling down the street with foot off the gas and car decides to shift from 3rd to 4th at low speed.It also happens when the tranny is gearing down from 2nd to 1st rolling up to a red light.
    Everthing shifts smooth with no noise with 1/4 or above throttle
    Is it the trannt mount or tranny itself or rearend.I have changed Diff and Tranny fluid 4 times since new now 60k miles WHATS UP

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

either the tranny mount or the torque arms on the tranny side is loose or busted

blk
    2002 Z2835th anniv

That's a bad torque arm bushing

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

ive got the same thing, is driving on that for a little while to bad for the car, im replacing it with the spohn adjustable torque arm and mount, bmr has a nice relocation bracket and torque arm that would fix the problem to

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

I hate McCurley Chevrolet

I took my car in with similar symptoms - clunking at light throttle and weird vibration at speed that persisted after a complete rotate/balance. They replaced the yoke on the output shaft on the tranny. I took it back and told them it was still doing it and they gave me a TSB that said it was normal. Stupid dealer

I did a tranny service, added a cooler, and synthetic fluid. Still does it, but the shift quality is better.

Ordered the mount and a poly torque arm bushing. May as well do both since I'm already under the car...

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Did the mount and bushing. Still clunky. I'm going to go under again and check it out to make sure everything is still solid after a week.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i just replaced my trans mount with the polyurethane unit from summit. i have an m6 and when i would punch it, it would clunk bad and the shifter would jump out of the car. the mount was torn in half. that could be your problem

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Did the mount, did the torque arm bushing, just had the driveline balanced and have two brand new u joints. Guess what - still clunky. I did notice a significant amount of play in the tranny tailshaft when I had the driveshaft off. Anyone want to bet that this is the clunking noise source? Its better - even with the poly mount, but I don't think all is healthy.

My local Dealer, McCurley Chevrolet, was given two opportunities to fix the situation on my GM Certified used camaro. They replaced the front splined yoke on the driveshaft citing that the splines were worn. I asked them about the tailshaft splines and they said they were fine. Unfortunately, they didn't take the time to check the balance of the driveshaft because it was WAYYYY out of spec.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Please do yourself a big favor and FORGET ABOUT IT.If you have a torsen carrier in the rear ITS NORMAL.Want it to stop? replace it with a auburn unit.Mine has done that noise since brand new,I have 91k on it and it still clunks as i come to a stop as it downshifts.I know it sucks! but if you just accept it and move on your mind will be so much happier.Tell you what take all that time and energy you are gonna waste fooling around trying to fix something you can't and help the homeless or a animal shelter for strays.
    I should add if you could see how far the axles can turn back and forth from each other through torsen gearing you would understand why its so noisy.As you come to a stop the gearing unloads in the opposite direction and CLUNK.

Thread Information