pewter
    99 Trans Am

clicking sound coming from wheels when turning.

I have a 99 TA and for some time I have noticed that when I turn the steering wheel I have a clicking sound coming from the wheels, I have checked the front end for ware and replaced outer tire rod ends even doe they was not bad but since I had bought them I went own and replaced them, there is no play in the front end at all but the clicking is getting worst. If you lift the front of the car and get any weight off the front end it goes away.I was told that it was the ball joints but there is no sign of ball joint ware. could it be in the struts? need help with this one.The car have 45,000 and some miles on it

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

First thing I would check is for a loose brake caliper. It has happened to more than one member on here...

After that, a tie rod end or a ball joint would be the next best suspects. Put the front end in the air and place your hands on the tire at the9:00 and 3:00 positions. Rock the tire back and forth and see if you can feel any play. Then move your hands to the 12:00 and 6:00 positions and repeat. If you feel play in the first position it is a tie rod. In the second position it is a ball joint. If they both do it then you probably have a wheel bearing on the way out (assuming, of course, that your lug nuts are tight )

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I have checked and rechecked the ball joints the way I always have which is as you stated, plus I also used a bar to lift up on the tires to see if there was any lack, none anywhere. You did make me think of a loose brake caliper, I to have had that happen to me but no luck there either. like stated I have already replaced the outer tirerod ends even doe I found that they were not bad after buying them.do the sturts have a bearing on top of them?if so that may be my problem, stering is good, but turning setting still it makes the clicking sound.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 09-05-2015 at 02:09 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There may be an inner tie rod as well on our steering racks. I have never had ours apart so not 100% on this.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Also, have you checked the steering shaft connection at the rack? They have also been known to come loose and start to make noise.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Strut mounts have bearings. Check those as well.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Thread Information