Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

clear coat help..

i need some help guys,, i painted a rear panel i had laying around just for fun, it looks pretty good imo, but i have noticed that after a week the clear coat still fresh..if i touch with the nail or something it gets scratched.. i tried to scratched it with my nail and the clear coat comes of.. so i dont know if i used the wrong stuff or something, its a rustoleum "crystal clear enamel" i noticed they have another one called "gloss protective enamel" im i using the wrong clear? when i went to buy it at the auto parts thats what they gave me!
    i sanded everything, primer, painted black, waited 20-30 mins for clear coat 2-3, did i miss any step?
    i dont wanna use duplicolor bc lamost everyone on the internet says it turns yellow after few days....

reason i wanna learn is bc i wanna paint my rims gloss black... so i never done this before.. thanks for the help!
    Last edited by 98maro; 08-08-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have used dupli-color acrylic enamel and it works great. It hasn't yellowed at all but I wax the stuff I used it on for extra protection. I painted my vents on my fenders with it plus my interior trim pieces. Do you sand in between coats unless it looks fine? I wait at least an hour in between coats just to be sure.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 08-09-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thanks for the replie.
    I did the coats every 15-20 min.
    Maybe that was the problem. But still it's a week After.
    I also did the wet sanding and buff two days later. It looks good but still feels fresh.
    Which clear coat you guys recommend for the wheels?

Are you using stuff in a rattle can?

I assume you are, that stuff doesn't have the hardeners in it that your better quality mixed paints that you shoot from a gun will.

If you are painting anything that is going to be in the weather at all, harsh elements, sunshine etc....I wouldn't use a rattle can.

To do it right you'll need to hit a paint store, buy the paint and clear along with your hardeners and reducers, mix it and shoot it from a gun. You'll get a better quality finish that will last for years and years.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^

I have to agree on that.

When I did my FRC's I wish now I went to a painter and have them hit it with the good stuff.

I did a good job via rattle can but it took a week for the clear to harden enough before I could install them on the car again.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Rustoleum rattle can paints take forever to dry. Just how they are.

I use the stuff near the engine and automotive paints, (can't remember the name off hand) it's like 8-12 bucks a can.

But it's designed for automotive use, and not a rustoleum product.

I stopped painting anything with crap-o-leum 20+ years ago because I just don't like their products and waiting for their paints to dry.

Also rustoleum paints got the name "rust-o-leum" because it contains rust inhiditors(sp) and generally does'nt like to be mixed with non-rustoleum paints.
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-09-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information