Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

cleaning my engine bay need help

This is a discussion on cleaning my engine bay need help within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; you all are silly. I have since day 1 high pressure washed my engine bay everytime I wash my car ...

Silver
    2002 WS6

you all are silly.

I have since day 1 high pressure washed my engine bay everytime I wash my car since new. It still looks like a new car under the hood for the most part, and thats at 6 years and 97,000 miles.

Back in the day with distributor cars, the main concern back then was getting water in there and it not starting until it dried up.
    Everything under our hoods are weather tight, it's designed that way, it's not going to hurt anything.
    2002 WS6 aka "Mr.Brownstone"

My car is my heroin

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ Hey I am glad you havent had a problem but you see I have a lil thing called shit luck which causes things to go wrong even when they dont go wrong for others. I am gonna play it safe and use rags.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

np, i work with a couple guys that have s**t luck too. I'm just sayin you're not going to blow anything up with a garden hose. I personally wouldn't use a presure washer. Simple Green really does the trick and no scrubbin. The bug sprayer really helps get it all over nice and easy.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Bug sprayer is a very good idea.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yep, leave to the old working generation to come with an idea to get a good job done in less time and save your hands from pain. I watch a guy down the street every week with his hand spray bottle. It hurts just thinking about the cramps. Plus you have a bug sprayer for other odd jobs and pest control. You should see grandpas motor home, spot less. Although it takes like a week to clean, polish and buff.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

clean engine

ok look just get a bottle of meguires quick detail. spray on a clean rag and go to town to get the heavy stuff off. then do it again until it totally clean, you can give the painted sections a coat of wax if you want. becareful of degreasers, foaming agents, and anything with oils or silicone in them like armor all etc. they can damage you sensors and you dont want that. if your block is soo bad that it cant be cleaned with a rag sprayed with meguires, then try a bit of degreaser sprayed on a rag, dont go spraying degreaser and crap all over you engine bay. good luck!

Black
    '02 B4C Camaro

i don't drive around with my hood up, so i don't worry about it.
    got a buddy with T\A thats so anal about his car he waxes the bottom side.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i would go with the most mild cleaning solution you can can find, i say meguires b.c . its used for clear coat so it mild. just stay away from giving it a bath in water, whatever yo use, put it on a rag and wipe, safer for sensors, and if you decide to use armor all or something, make sure you wipe most of the residue off, and leave you hood open for a few hrs , or over night. like i said i would stay away from oils etc though. and if its not a show car then it doenst matter anyway. If none of this sounds good then just get a rag wet with water wipe, then use a dry rag to finish, no cost, no residue, and no worring about bathing you engine with a hose.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if you like your knock sensors you won't spray high pressure water on the engine. If you do spray high pressure water on it then you're either lucky or due up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information