Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 camaro Z28

Cool cleaning my engine bay need help

i want to clean my engine bay and need some tips.... anyone? i was thinking of going to the car wash and spraying it down with engine degreaser and then washing it off but im kinda scared of wetting it down and ruining something. let me know thanks

white
    2002 z28

i never high press my bay but some do, just a hose some rags and lots of time can make it look good in no time

best tip from me is armor all wipes ( not spray) shine were you need it with no spray. some polishing of metel

I sprayed down the under side with degreaser from the car wash. The under hood I touched up with foaming engine cleaner the sprayed it with a low pressure water hose.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

I bought and used the black magic can of engine bright from advance auto parts. I follwed the instructions on the can and it turned out very well. Great product for $5.
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

+1 on the black magic. It is the best product they make and the only one I use. pressure washing is not required, use low pressure water from the hose and it cleans right up. I usually go back with some armor all on my lid. BTW, the black magis stuff should be used on a hot engine, I used the whole can and I keep going back over the whole engine bay from one side to the other, spray above water pump and along block creases.

good luch, and wash the car afterword cause you get a lot of overspray

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Black Magic is the only way to go

Black
    2005 GTO

Any decent engine cleaner will work. Spray on let it sit and start scrubing, I've tried alot of engine cleaners but non really remove the gunk that in under there, a rag and toothbrush are your best friend, that is if your anal like me. Some are fine with a clean and rinse. I like to cover some electrical stuff with plastic grocery bags like Alt, pcm,maf, fuse boxes, rather be safe than sorry.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

I think it's a good idea not to get any water instrusion under the intake too - don't want any knock sensor codes....

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

instructions on the can say to let dry for like 15 min, and since you are supposed to do it on a hot engine, it generally drys off pretty quick. The black magic will take built up crud off too, you just have to keep going back to hit it with the spray, that why I ended up using the whole can. another good option: depending on your local spray wash they usually have an engine soak setting that works well.

As far as the toothbrush thing goes, I was my engine bay about every time I was the car, so the gunk that would require that kind of cleaning doesent accumulate

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

no water here......just some stp son of a gun, rags and lots of elbow grease

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

i agree w/ the engine cleaner,, for those hard spots where the dirt sits and you cant get it out, use a wire brush with a tooth brush style setup. YOu can get them by the 3 pack at walmart (Brass, metal, plastic brush set)

I had some grime built up on the front of my heads, where its smoosh polished. Some bug/tar remover and LIGHTLY brush the metal and walla. Just wipe the resin off with a rag and its gone. TO do the whole motor, takes weeks this way. But, if you can get into all the cracks and ridges, you'll have a super clean bay.

GL

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I wont take the risk of spraying water on my engine-rags do the trick.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I have never had a problem with washing the engine with water. It is no different than driving through a large puddle or in the rain for long periods of time. if you directly hose down the alt, or the inside of the air intake you MIGHT have a problem, but even then it is a maybe. your engine is watertight, and those of you with the free air mod already intake some water. dont directly hose down the computer, but besides that i dont worry about it.

side note: 4 wheeling with my jeep I try to keep the intake manifold above water level on deep crossings, but unless you injest a lot of water while running you still wont have a problem.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I wont take the risk of spraying water on my engine-rags do the trick.

+1 no chance of damage to engine

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ yepp I just dont have the money to fix problems that can easily be avoided.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Simple Green and Armor Wipes. Get you a little spray bottle of distilled water ( no water spots) and clean best you can with the simple green and rinse with the distilled water. Use the wipes to wipe everything down.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Gah. I drive my car rain rain or shine... not snow tho. Well placed water aint gonna hurt it.. too bad anyway.. dielectric grease that crap up

Water under the hood is not too good of a idea. I had a 4 banger car that I took to the car wash and sparyed down the engine all the way down. My timing belt got wet and jumped time and bent a few vlaves, the car never ran again.

Not that this will happen with our cars, since we have to timing belt. But still, water can get in places you dont want. So if you spray the top of the motor, try to use the water in moderation.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I was degreasing the block for painting on my military blazer and happening to get the TBI wet(350) and it didnt frikin start for over 30 minutes.. NEVER USE A PRESSURE WASHER.. and dont use much water

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

hah, i'm reckless when cleaning the car. I pop the hood and hose the crap out of it, hot or cold. I've done this to every car I own. I have never had a problem. I don't cover anything and i let the water go any where it wants.

Where I live my cars see beach action alot, so you always rinse after a ride. Maybe I'm lucky.

You can take the time to wrap the parts under the hood like some one mentioned or think about how all that stuff got in there? It had to come from some where and my thought is if road grim can cover every thing under the hood then so can water when it rains. So spray away...

BTW my grandfather uses simple green and a bug sprayer. His engine bay is always spot less and he never breaks a sweat. Squirt it on, wait a few mintes, hose it off, use the compressor to blow dry it, done. He is very ananl when cleaning his cars. He will dry every last nook and cranny, ugh drove me nuts as a kid.

Thread Information