Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 Trans Am

Cleaning a filter?

Is their any special way to clean my K&N filter? I know that they sell special cleaning kit but can't you just use water? What do you guys do?

98T/Aformula
    No you want to go get the stuff they sell for it, the only thing you you need besides water is the oil that you have to put on it after you clean it and let it dry other wise your going to be letting alot of bad stuff get past it. The cleaning kit comes with instructions and is like 13 bucks or something I just get mine at Checker ot Napa, trust me you need the kit lol.

You can't just use water - get the filter charger kit w/cleaner and oil - or just toss it and buy paper filters.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I used hot water and make sure I pour it in from the top side (so you dont lodge the dirt in, and you are flushing them out). Dont use too much pressure. Use qtips or a tooth brush so that you can get big stuff out. I also put some cleaning solution in hot water and let the filter soak. Let it dry and then apply the oil to the bottom only. If you get too much it will get on the MAF and will need cleaning.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

You want to wash the filter from the bottom up, and oil from the top down, oiling the top of the pleat DO NOT SATURATE THE FILTER, let it sit on a paper towel for 5 minuets, then install.

SteveC

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    I used hot water and make sure I pour it in from the top side (so you dont lodge the dirt in, and you are flushing them out). Dont use too much pressure. Use qtips or a tooth brush so that you can get big stuff out. I also put some cleaning solution in hot water and let the filter soak. Let it dry and then apply the oil to the bottom only. If you get too much it will get on the MAF and will need cleaning.
    I believe K&N recommends using cold water since it's some sort of cotton fiber that they use in the filter and hot water could cause fiber shrinkage and gaps in the filter. That's why you get the filter cleaner spray in the kit: it's a caustic-based solution which helps to remove the old filter oil. K&N also recommends air drying the filter without heat, for the same reason. Try not to use any sort of mechanical cleaning on the filter such as a toothbrush because, again, you can move the filter material around and create gaps in the filter.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    I believe K&N recommends using cold water since it's some sort of cotton fiber that they use in the filter and hot water could cause fiber shrinkage and gaps in the filter. That's why you get the filter cleaner spray in the kit: it's a caustic-based solution which helps to remove the old filter oil. K&N also recommends air drying the filter without heat, for the same reason. Try not to use any sort of mechanical cleaning on the filter such as a toothbrush because, again, you can move the filter material around and create gaps in the filter.
    If you have the FRA mod, then you know that the filter gets dirty. When there are bugs/twigs etc in there, I think it is ok to use something to get it out of there. Didnt know about the hot water though I will keep that in mind. Even though they are lifetime filters, I am thinking of replacing mine... I think 5 years is enough for any filter. K&N puts a lot of warnings on there but I think they are a little better made than they act like. Mine is working just fine still

Running water from the bottom up (as it sits in the car) would push the dirt farther into the filter, I cant imagine this is a good plan. And I am pretty sure you oil the top of the filter...

Chapter 8 – Cleaning Your K&N Air Filter

All K&N Air Filters are washable and reusable. Your normal driving environment will determine when you should clean your air filter. If you drive in a non-dusty wet environment with lots of trees and vegetation, we recommend you inspect your filter every 50,000 miles. If you live in dry or desert conditions, we recommend you inspect your filter every 30,000 miles. Extremely dusty conditions such as driving regularly on dirt roads would require even more frequent inspection. A filter inspection does not necessarily mean it needs to be cleaned. An inspection should be visual to identify the amount of dirt build up on the filter. There will always be dirt and this can even help filtration. Only when the dirt build up becomes excessive should you make the decision to clean the filter. A K&N filter can accumulate dust up to 1/8th of an inch before cleaning is required. The easy way to make this determination is to see if you can visually identify all of the visible aluminum wire mesh on the top of the pleats. If it is still visible, the filter does not yet require cleaning and can be replaced in the vehicle. The next subsequent inspection should occur in 5,000 to 10,000 miles, once again, depending on driving conditions. Once the aluminum wire is covered with dirt and no longer visible in some places on the exterior of the filter, it’s time for cleaning.

When cleaning the filter, first gently tap the filter on the ground or another hard surface to remove any loose dust that will easily fall off the filter. Next, thoroughly saturate the filter medium with K&N’s Air Filter Cleaner. Then let the filter set for approximately 15 minutes. After that, take a garden hose or low pressure water source and from the inside of the filter out, wash off the dirt. Flushing from inside out is the best way to remove the dirt from the medium. Next, shake the water out of the filter and let the filter dry for several hours. A non-pressurized air source such as a common hair dryer, operating without heat, can be used to accelerate the drying time. Pressurized water, air or heated air can reduce the number of cotton microfilaments reducing the filtration ability of the filter in the future and should never be used. When the filter is dry, it needs to be re-oiled using K&N Recharger Oil. We recommend using our Recharger oil that comes in a squeeze bottle because this provides the most control over the amount of oil applied. When using the squeeze bottle, simple apply a bead or line of oil along the top only, running the entire length of each pleat of the air filter. The oil will over a short period of time soak into the rest of the filter medium because cotton is very absorbent. For those of you who want to use our aerosol Recharger oil, lightly “paint” the filter surface with one coat of the aerosol spray. Do not over oil a filter because this can increase restriction undermining the benefits of our High-Flow technology. A filter should never be dripping with oil visibly running off the filter. After oiling, we recommend you gently tap the filter to remove any excess oil and allow the filter to set for a few hours. While this setting time is not a requirement for a properly oiled filter, it will reduce the likelihood of over oiling and is never a bad idea.

Remember, there are a few things you do and do not want to do to a K&N Air Filter because they will cause damage to the product and reduce the service life. Our air filter cleaner has been specially formulated for the specific task of cleaning our cotton air filters. Other cleaners are not recommended and could, depending on the cleaner used, damage the filter. Feel free to use our cleaner to remove grease and oil from your driveway, it works great, but save some for our air filter, which it is designed for. Do not use gasoline or caustic cleaning solutions. Do not use steam cleaning equipment nor car wash devices; pressurized equipment will strip the cotton of those critical microfilaments. When drying the filter after cleaning, your best bet is to let the filter dry naturally. Please do not use compressed air, open flames or heating devices of any kind. If you’re really in a hurry use a hair dryer with no heat. When Recharging the filter with oil, we recommend you use K&N Recharger oil. Once again, it has been developed for our filters and is the same oil applied at the factory during the manufacturing process. Do not use transmission fluid, motor oil, lightweight oil, or diesel fuel.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

I wonder how good the new Fram reusable washable filter is? Anybody using one? There's another company that makes a reusable rechargeable filter that uses a blue colored filter material but I can't remember who makes it.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I say toss it and either buy a synthetic filter or a good ol' paper filter.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    I say toss it and either buy a synthetic filter or a good ol' paper filter.
    Definately dont throw your 70 dollars away, K and N works just fine.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    I wonder how good the new Fram reusable washable filter is? Anybody using one? There's another company that makes a reusable rechargeable filter that uses a blue colored filter material but I can't remember who makes it.
    I know this thread is a lil' old, but I thought I would answer this while asking what you all think.

Here's the answer to Fastcar's question. http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx

My question is what do you all think about these and do you think they are better than K&N?

I'm thinking Amsoil could not make these claims if they couldn't back it up, knowing a company like K&N would bring a lawsuit against them if their claims were false, least that's what I'm thinkin.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have the AEM Dryflow on the Dodge R/T.....you just wash it in a bucket of soapy water and let it dry......I have the Amsoil on the GTO....you just vacuum and blow it out......

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

AMSOIL Ea Air Filters are the most efficient filters available to the car/light truck market. Ea Air Filters’ synthetic nanofiber media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filter media alone and 50 times more dust than wet gauze filter media

Goddam works for me

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

My silicon ( dirt) levels dropped like a rock in my oil UOA's after I switched from KN to Amsoil. That is proof plenty for my old ass.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

I replaced my k & N with the amsoil filter and have been very happy with it. No noticeable change in performance or gas mileage and no more oily mess--makes it worth it for me!

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    My silicon ( dirt) levels dropped like a rock in my oil UOA's after I switched from KN to Amsoil. That is proof plenty for my old ass.
    Oh shit...now that's what I'm talkin' bout'.

But now what about air, do you think you sacrifice air (volume) for cleaner air?

I think K&N is about to stand for Kicked&Negated.

Two thumbs up so far, cleaner engine oil and no messy oil to coat your MAF with.

Make that three...it's cheaper.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

No power to be gained from fancy airfilters. Paper 4tw.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    No power to be gained from fancy airfilters. Paper 4tw.
    Well, there is paper, nano, wet gauze and cotton...ONE of them has to have the most air flow, I would think though it may not necessarily be true that the one with the most flow, would also give you the most dirt, but Amsoil claims the dirt sticks to the fibers themselves leaving spaces open, not sure if I buy that, because if a large enough piece of dirt comes in, if it happens to get wedged in a hole...then it does.

All said though, if your oil is showing cleaner test results, that's pretty damn important.

silver2002Z
    well since he asked how to clean it.........simple green works just great, i ran out of k&n cleaner in my kit, id say simple green works even better

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I've had my K&N for 5 years now and am very satisfied. I wash it once a year and am doing just fine. Can't imagine just using Simple Green and not oiling it.

Thread Information