Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Cleaners, yes again

Ok, I had to post about cleaners, fuel, oil, you name it. I have been searching and reading 'til i go numb. Ok, I have always used STP, maybe cuz I grew up a Petty fan. I have used it in all my cars, even my camaro. I have never had a problem. I run the blue oil add and the black fuel add, based on the directions.

I have read a few guys post about Lucas, Seaform, Lube Control, Chevron Techron, etc. Even a couple of shameless plugs. I like to take care of my cares cuz i like to run them hard like i stole it.

I am due for an oil change in a couple of weeks. Before I wonder off and just grab my usual STP I wanted to take opinions, but do it by dollars and availability. I always lived by if it is a good product that does what it advertises it would be in Wal-Mart, figure of speach.

So who thinks they use the best fuel injection cleaner additive

So who thinks they use the best oil cleaner additive

that is available on the self at a price you can afford, i mean K-Mart blue special prices. You get what you pay for, but sometimes what you are paying for is just a name hype. Personally I feel the only way to know it is working is to look at the parts it cleans, and not heresay or myth.

Otherwise i'll stick my head in the sand with my STP since I have never had can problems no matter what the milage was. Currently I am 96k second owner and so far the car has been pretty good.

Thanks

Kool-Aide

White
    2001 Z28

Go read the Auto Rx sticky before Sarge nukes you.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I have, and I have also read many posts with Sarge endorcing other items besides AutoRx. Hence the post, again. I'll take the nuking any day.

It's like going to the dealer. Would you rather be sheep and pay highway robbery prices because every one else does it, for something you can get else where for much less and still get a quailty job done?

I'm looking for good affordable stuff to take care of my car. Not just to open my wallet. Like I said, yes I am gunna taunt, If your product is so good, then when will my store carry it, and what keeps the price so high? Ok that just opened the debate on economics, lol...

And prove to me you beat the compitetion above and beyond testimonials, to me that's heresay. I can swear crest toothpast is the best over aquafresh, does it make it true? And bring it to market for the lazy American.

I work with people that spend all day "spinning" our product as the best. And that's all it is, hype and non-sense. I guess this makes me jaded and hungry for down to earth simple folk proof. In the end if your product can stand side by side with someone else but yours is more in price and less obtainable???

I'm open minded and obviously open for change hence the post for reassuring good old proof its worth the price and delay.

thanks

kool-aide

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

for the fuel i would say seafoam or marvel mystery oil-i have never had a bad issue with mmo

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

but i've heard a few posts say don't do it on older cars?

yeah call me stupid. Nuttin like beating a dead horse by a brain dead monkey.

I read the seafoam sticky in ls1 tech. I figure I have about two weeks to either turn to the darkside, see the light, be reborn, what ever you want to call it

if you dunk me in water and claim i'm healed through buying something from the internet, then it would be nice to get the intell so i can get something in my hands before turkey day. Not that i'm in a rush, but for some reason i end up working on my car just about every weekend, huh, it's like having a mistress....

White
    2001 Z28

Sarge backs up the things he says with lab results. Then guys like me follow his advice and get the same lab results. Go check out the OUA sticky. I think that is called proof.
    As far as fuel system cleaners go: I have had good results with Seafoam. I also run Lucas UCL in all my cars. I see a similiar product from Duralube, but I don't have any information on it. I'll bet Sarge does.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

STP is nothing more than a viscosity enhancer. No TBN or any value whatsoever. Pee in your oil ....you'll get the same results.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Sarge I doubt my up tight neighbors want to see my hair butt whizzing in my crank case.

lone wolf i hear yeah. I read the sticky once before. I'll have to refresh my memory but i don't think it talked about cleaners and additives.

Like I said when I'm dropping money on things, specially those i have to order, i like ahving piece of mind. I'm not exactly going to tear my car apart to see if a product is working. I'll leave that to those that can, and do.

I have read a lot about solvents and the "harm" they do to seals and such. If they are so harmful then why is every one using them?

A massive burnout wastes tire tread, but it is a real easy and simple fix to buy tires. Putting junk in my engine or tank that can eat away at seals and junk. Well that is costly too me.

I already have a car with plenty of time and miles. I don't want to send my internals to an early grave. Owning an older car means willing to spend time replacing and fixing what someone else didn't. Being married means making sure every dollar counts. My wife let be a scanner for reading the PCM. She knows it is worth the money.

Like I said, i'm looking to cut to the chase and get past the name hype. I'm an impulse buyer that can be open minded and show patience when soemthing is truly worth the money and wait.

thanks, i still can't get the thought of me whizzing in the oil,

White
    2001 Z28

Sometime soon you will see my results with Auto RX. I am going to get a Dyson Analysis. The results will be posted in the UOA sticky. I really don't know how that will turn out. But I am going to find out. That is how knowledge is developed.
    I ordered Auto-Rx based on Sarge's recomendation. Everything he has advised in the past has checked out, including the advice I did not follow (Lucas).
    I have been a victim of all the oil scams I can remember. You name it, I probably tried it. Slick 50, Greased Lightning, Duralube, and best of all ARCO Graphite. That is just to name a few. Read the hype, pour it in and hope for the best.
    All the while asking myself if there was some way to verify the results. Then I came to this forum and learned about oil sampling and analysis.
    I owe Sarge a lot because he has never steered my wrong, and saved my motor from having hype peeing in it.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i think we will all look forward to your results, thanks.

I can understand that's why i had to post the same old question again. Since Sarge is a fountain of oil knowledge. I was confused when i read older posts that said other products were good too.

How much is a oil test? I read the sticky, and now i'm curious what mine would be like. Do the two listed post their prices on their site? Yeah I like to ask questions before looking.

White
    2001 Z28

Oil Sampling

Sarge has a link in his sticky to Blackstone and Dyson. Blackstone is cheaper, about $25. You might want to start there. Look up Blackstone labs online and have them send you some sample bottles.
    Next OC take a sample, be sure to take the sample midway through the oil drain.
    Send the sample to Blackstone, USPS works just fine. The first result they will send you is a hard copy. After that,they will send your results by email. You can even access them online.
    Post your results on the Sarge's UOA sticky. We can all learn something. Hopefully your results will be more interesting than my wife's DD.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I saw a price sheet with lots of stuff. What is recommended? Is standard analysis the best start?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes it is. You want a baseline. And by the way...welcome to the world of real data and no marketing bullshit

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thanks Sarge. Have you done an analysis on your oil before and after AutoRx? I think I recall your sticky doing it with royal purple or something like that.

Thread Information