Torch Red
    1998 Trans Am

Clamp On Or Welded Exhaust

Whats better to have?
    From my cats to the tips are clamped.
    Im thinking about welding it but before i do id like to get yalls opinions on the two.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jmg93 View Post
    Whats better to have?
    From my cats to the tips are clamped.
    Im thinking about welding it but before i do id like to get yalls opinions on the two.
    I weld every exhaust I build.. I hate clamps. IMHO clamps can come loose, but a good weld is permanent or till the pipe rots...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I always do band clamps. If you plan on having the exhaust back off the car it makes things so much more simple. My exhaust is on/off the car almost every year so the clamps work out nice. If you were planning on using regular u-bolt clamps though you might as well weld it. The u clamps crush the pipe and make it a pain the ass to get back off so you might as well be cutting it off.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Clamps have come a long way. Almost my entire system uses clamps. Get the good ones, spend a little money on them, and you wont have a problem. Its all personal preference. If you never plan on removing your exhaust, for whatever reason, then weld it up. No doubt its a for sure method of stopping leaks. When I installed my DMH cutout, I used clamps, with a nice thick bead of red RTV, and a good impact to tighten them. They don't leak, and never come loose.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I always do band clamps. If you plan on having the exhaust back off the car it makes things so much more simple. My exhaust is on/off the car almost every year so the clamps work out nice. If you were planning on using regular u-bolt clamps though you might as well weld it. The u clamps crush the pipe and make it a pain the ass to get back off so you might as well be cutting it off.
    Why would you take your exhaust apart so much?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    normally working on something during the winter that the exhaust needs to come out. Hell, last time I took it out just to clean it and paint it.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    normally working on something during the winter that the exhaust needs to come out. Hell, last time I took it out just to clean it and paint it.
    Not me, when I pull an exhaust I throw it away and build a new one.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Don't ask....

My whole dual system was welded into one giant piece. Any idea how much of a PITA it was to drop the tranny because the exhaust couldn't come apart? Couldn't lower the back of the motor to make it easier to get to the top tranny bolts.
    So we cut the exhaust and used strap type clamps/header wrap.

Torch Red
    1998 Trans Am

Well im getting new tips probally this week so im gonna take it to a muffler shop this week too. Ill probally have the same exhaust setup for awhile. How much do yall think it would cost to get the rest of my exhaust system welded?

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

I work at an exhaust shop. My exh. is band clamped at the headers and once more at the tailpipes and all else is welded. IMHO youll probly kick yourself for not having a separation in the exhaust. The band clamps are a snap, just rap them around the pipe and tighten, your done. They will seal almost any pipe joint be it a lap joint or a butt joint. I know some use rtv with the clamps but I do not. To me its an un-necessary mess that doesnt help it seal any better. As for welding price, it varies from shop to shop and how many welds you have. At my shop we start at $10 per weld and go up from there depending on difficulty.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

Torch Red
    1998 Trans Am

So would you prefer clamps or welded?

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

A mix of both. I have the exhaust in 3 sections. I can pull it loose at the headers or pull the tails off. That way I can work on the car without wrestling the exhaust. I would ever fully weld or fully clamp an exhaust. If you look at a factory exhaust theyre both welded and clamped/flanged for working on the car.

black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Clamps have come a long way. Almost my entire system uses clamps. Get the good ones, spend a little money on them, and you wont have a problem. Its all personal preference. If you never plan on removing your exhaust, for whatever reason, then weld it up. No doubt its a for sure method of stopping leaks. When I installed my DMH cutout, I used clamps, with a nice thick bead of red RTV, and a good impact to tighten them. They don't leak, and never come loose.
    what clamps do you recommend are best? im bout to setup up my exhaust and want it removable if i ever have to pull pipes to work on something.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Oldie thread. I too am a fan of slip-fit exhaust plumbing and quality stainless band clamps. Aftermarket catbacks and Y pipes should always come out with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Twixter08 View Post
    what clamps do you recommend are best? im bout to setup up my exhaust and want it removable if i ever have to pull pipes to work on something.
    Band clamps, the single bolt style and stainless steel. Thick gauge ones, not the thin wrap around type.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

V band clamps are about the best to get but come at a price. Not to expensive really but the weld time put in to get them right.

I use band clamps but in certain locations and weld in others.

Thread Information