black
    1998 Camaro SS

Are chemicals safe on engines?

What is your guys opinion on chemicals? Things like fuel injector cleaner, and stuff that is supposed to make your car run like new and stop leak, stuff like that. Do you guys think this stuff works, does nothin, or could actually hurt an engine? Is there anyone here who has actually studied some of these chemicals? Im just curious about these things because you see more and more of it and i find it hard to believe that a bottle of liquid can make your car run like new and make it last longer.

hugger orange

change your oil regularly and use a good oil. maybe once a year (maybe) use a fuel injevtor cleaner at the most.
    better oils, oil filters and fuel filters along with the high detergent fuels now adays keep things pretty clean with good maintainance

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    What is your guys opinion on chemicals? Things like fuel injector cleaner, and stuff that is supposed to make your car run like new and stop leak, stuff like that. Do you guys think this stuff works, does nothin, or could actually hurt an engine? Is there anyone here who has actually studied some of these chemicals? Im just curious about these things because you see more and more of it and i find it hard to believe that a bottle of liquid can make your car run like new and make it last longer.
    Seafoam fuel injector cleaner. I do mine with every oil change.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Almost all the mechanics I know use fuel injector/ system cleaners after the car gets up there in miles and when the car runs a little rough. However, they also suggest staying away from the engine system cleaners (the ones you add to your oil) because it can damage the engine by breaking loose big pieces of build up and clogging small areas). They also tend to stay away from "no leak" additives as well because it usually is a temporary fix.. As far as being bad for you car I am not sure. I know that the radiator no leak stuff can damage your radiator in the long run. Like stated above your best bet is to keep the engine oil changed and keep up with routine maint. If your car is leaking oil or something else I would fix it rather than patch it up. IF you have an old beater car then off course the no leak additives is ok b/c their no point in fixing an old junked car. But an LS1 is different.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Almost all the mechanics I know use fuel injector/ system cleaners after the car gets up there in miles and when the car runs a little rough. However, they also suggest staying away from the engine system cleaners (the ones you add to your oil) because it can damage the engine by breaking loose big pieces of build up and clogging small areas). They also tend to stay away from "no leak" additives as well because it usually is a temporary fix.. As far as being bad for you car I am not sure. I know that the radiator no leak stuff can damage your radiator in the long run. Like stated above your best bet is to keep the engine oil changed and keep up with routine maint. If your car is leaking oil or something else I would fix it rather than patch it up. IF you have an old beater car then off course the no leak additives is ok b/c their no point in fixing an old junked car. But an LS1 is different.
    I do think higher quality products like AutoRx doesnt fall into this genre. Sarge reccomends it and I bought it a while back and I guess it helped lol.

I do the two cycle oil method in my fuel and I use a machine to clean my injectors.

Black
    2002 SS

I've used cheap spray engine degreaser on mine since 02 and it doesn't seem to hurt it.
    Just go back with spray lube on the metal.
    Injector cleaners, octane boost,....gimme more
    I like Chemicals!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I've used engine degreaser as well and fuel injector cleaners, thats about it

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Fuel injectors cleaners and throttle body cleaners are ok. Top engine decarbon treatments are ok as long as you change the oil afterwards.

Thread Information