Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Check Gauges light when fuel is low

Hi guys. One question I have my 98 TA for almost a year now. I have noticed that I don't get any warning when my fuel is low. The check gauge light works fine. Can anyone confirm if the check gauges lights should come on when my fuel is low? If it is any idea on where to start checking for a problem. Thanks.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Yes, it should light when fuel is low. Both of my 2000 F-bodies do so when there is about 3 gallons remaining in tank.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

good goddamn owners manual.....sheesh when your fcheck guage light comes on..thats exactly what it mmeans..* CHECK YOUR GUAGES* and hopefully common sense will tell you * DING* i am almost out of gas because everything else is looking good but my gas guage...

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

mine comes on when im really low but i never let my gas get below a 1/4 tank. well, once or else i wouldnt have responded.

NBM
    99 TA

unfortunately i know that the check gauges light will also come on if your car is overheating

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    unfortunately i know that the check gauges light will also come on if your car is overheating
    from experience.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 99 Formula View Post
    good goddamn owners manual.....sheesh when your fcheck guage light comes on..thats exactly what it mmeans..* CHECK YOUR GUAGES* and hopefully common sense will tell you * DING* i am almost out of gas because everything else is looking good but my gas guage...
    99 Formula don't assume stuff without checking 1st. That's why I'm asking the question because the damm fuel gauge is at Empty for a while and I don't see the light come on. I haven't run out of fuel but sometimes I forget to look at the gauge. Every other car I had have this feature. I'm trying to see if there is a problem in the electrical part of it. The goddamm owner manual don't say S**T about it. So common sense tells me that the light should come on, BUT IT IS NOT!

So if you don't have anything good to say and help out don't say s**t. I have worked with cars for a while and I'm not an expert thats why I come here to this awesome site were people help each other and don't talk useless stuff. I guess that your not part of that group ...

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    99 Formula don't assume stuff without checking 1st. That's why I'm asking the question because the damm fuel gauge is at Empty for a while and I don't see the light come on. I haven't run out of fuel but sometimes I forget to look at the gauge. Every other car I had have this feature. I'm trying to see if there is a problem in the electrical part of it. The goddamm owner manual don't say S**T about it. So common sense tells me that the light should come on, BUT IT IS NOT!

So if you don't have anything good to say and help out don't say s**t. I have worked with cars for a while and I'm not an expert thats why I come here to this awesome site were people help each other and don't talk useless stuff. I guess that your not part of that group ...
    my guess is you do have an electrical issue, my CG light comes on when the gauge shows alittle under 1/8 of a tank.

PS ignore the asshole comment from 99 formula.. it was uncalled for

White
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    PS ignore the asshole comment from 99 formula.. it was uncalled for
    agreed

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Does the "check guages" light come on when you turn the key on? If it doesnt the bulb may be burnt out man. Thats the first thing to check.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

and...i didn't know the light came on for a while after owning mine cause i didn't let it get low enough to let it come on.... after the first time it lit up and started using it as an indicator to go get gas.. it was weird to me not to have a separate 'low fuel' light. As already posted, verify the check gauges light comes on when starting. If so, you prolly just fill up before the light comes on--no worries!

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I had a 98 and I have had it down to almost nothing for gas, but I do not remember the light coming on, and I know it worked because I also overheated it once. Remember, the 98's are different computer wise, so maybe thats why it dont light up.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

all apologies as i miss read the post.. i would start by checking all of your fuses first to make sure nothing is blown.. its cheap and a good idea anyways second i would double check any and all grounds to ensure that anything eletrical is connected and not corroded..also if you have access to a lift check any wires/ sensors going to - from the fuel tank or possibly drop the tank to see if you have a corroeded or lose/ broken connector there

Thread Information