Black/Yellow
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Check Gauge Light

I was taking my 98' Trans Am WS6 on a trip and didnt get to far. I was on cruise control about 80 mph and checked my Temp gauge. It went from 210 to way in the red in a matter of seconds. The "Check Gauges" light came on and my car shut down. Turns out I ran out of coolant.....most likely a hole in the radiator or passenger side hose, not sure until I check it out tomorrow seeing I had to have it towed home late.
    But the question is, when the check gauge light comes on is there an automatic shutdown when something isnt right? Or do I have to worry about that being an engine failure?
    Last edited by Mookz1; 07-01-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I do not think the 1998 TA has an auto shut down for overheating. I think you may have blown the engine. See if it will turn over, if not then you are in trouble. If it does turn over then I would start by taking a compression reading of all cylinders. If that is ok, change the plugs and make sure all fluids are full with NO LEAKS. Good Luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^^
    Good start

Like he said try turning the crank over first. If it will move you're in a good spot. If it's frozen, not so good.

If it doesn't move, then open all the plugs and disconnect the fuel injectors from the wire harness. That way you don't flood them. Look down into each and make sure they do not have any liquid in them. If you spot some, make a note of which cylinder. If it's full you have a couple of options either suck it out or turn the key and have the compression push it out. Try turning it over again. If it still doesn't turn over you most likely have a blown motor. If it does turn over you're very lucky but it doesn't mean you don't have to tear into it some. I would also do a compression check on all cylinders too.

Also I haven't heard of any F-body having auto-shut down for over heating.

Black/Yellow
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I had the car towed on a flatbed and I was able to start it and get it into the garage. It stalled a few times but it will do that if I dont let it warm up usually. Couldnt tell if it was running right or not seeing that I had to rush it into the garage. I dont want to damage the engine any worse than it is by letting it run w/out coolant. You may ask, "why dont you just add water and try?'' .......Answer is, as soon as I poor water in, it just pours out. I am still searching to see where the culprit is, hard to tell w/ all the parts and frame in the way.

Navy Blue Metallic

Wow..... Check everything then. I wonder if one of the water plugs might have gave out? In this thread it will show you the locations of the coolant plugs for the block

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/diy-coo...-flush-157898/

Black/Yellow
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Well we found why it pissed out all the coolant. It was a blown heater core hose coming from the water pump. Now the question is where can I find a replacement? It is rubber from the water pump then it is crimped into metal hosing (similar to a/c hosing) and then back to rubber into the firewall. I wonder if its a dealer item or is it something I have to call a "hose maker".......I have no idea seeing I have never dealt w/ something like this. Any inputs are appreciated

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Check the dealer and check any auto parts stores in your area. You might luck out and find a shop that deals with hydraulic equipment(machinery/hose fabbing).

Navy Blue Metallic

gmpartsdirect.com

I'd check with them.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

you can get it from the dealer. I was quote around $120 for it. I went another route and made my own but it's time consuming and you need to keep readjusting the clamps. This is the write up I did:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/water-h...sembly-151001/

So if you can afford it do the OEM part from GM. If your car is a daily driver and you need a quick fix you can buy heater hose and connect it straight to the water pump. Just make sure that you keep it away from the manifolds. You might need to use some cable ties.

Thread Information