Check engine light help

This is a discussion on Check engine light help within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So my check engine light has come on and gone off intermittently for about a month now and I just ...

Arctic White
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Check engine light help

So my check engine light has come on and gone off intermittently for about a month now and I just got around to getting the code read. The codes said that banks 1 and 2 are both running lean. I've already cleaned the maf sensor thoroughly but that didn't change anything. The guy at advance suggested a new maf sensor or sea foam but I'm a sceptic and don't want to lock up the engine.
    I'm not sure if bank is referring to a cylinder or the entire side of the engine, and I'm at a loss for what I should try next. Any help or knowledge on the subject at all would be appreciated. Thanks

red
    2001 Camaro SS vert

bank is the entire side, so both sides are lean. I had the same problem only my car would die at idle. with alot of good help from people here, they had me start checking for air/vacuum leaks. Mine ended up being a bad fuel pump in the end. give it awhile and some people will be here to help you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

could be a few different things....I would first check fuel pressure a the rail and see what that says. Should be ~58psi. How many miles are on the car? How long since the last fuel filter replacement? Normally it ends up being something like a vacuum leak, fuel filter, fuel pump going bad, O2 sensors, or MAF sensor. Just have to diagnose it properly.
    Is the car still running fine? You can check the pcv hose on the passenger side that runs into the intake just behind the throttle body. Those like to crack on the backside right where it turns to go into the intake and creating a vacuum leak there.

Arctic White
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Yeah it still runs and is my daily driver. The only thing ive noticed is that it idols high when im rolling in neutral...ive got 105k on it and i bought it with 75k...never replaced the fuel filter or anything but it did cross my mind to check the fuel pump. Thanks for the suggestions guys, ill see if i can't check on those.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

high idle is usually a sign of a vacuum leak.......check that hose.

Thread Information