Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

check engine light is on.....

Allright here's the deal, my check engine light comes on sometimes and sometimes doesnt... I got it checked while it was on yesterday and it was throwing codes p0171 and p0174. the codes mean that bank 1 and 2 are running lean respectfully, any idea as to why this may be? the car is stock minus a/c and heat( pulled everything out pertaining to the two including all the components in the dash)

black
    2001 Trans am ws6 vert

Clean the mass air

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

what am i looking for when i check it? this is my first fuel injected vehicle, lol first pcm vic too lol

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Get a can of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner, remove the MAF from the car and hose the inside of it down. Do not touch anything inside the MAF, but while you have it off check it over to make sure a prior owner did not monkey it up. It should have a screen, center blade and not be ported if it is the stock LS1 MAF.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

thanks pajeff02, ill swing out tomorrow and give it a try and see what results i get, wrestled with swaping the passenger side widow motor all say today so right now i feel like putting a bullet in it... def gonna recruit some help next time if i have to so that again

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If that doesn't rememdy the issue, next thing to do would be replace the fuel filter and maybe check your pressure.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

allright, if its still acting up i will def check that

98 Formula
    06 duramax

another thing to check is for a vacuum leak........

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yes MAF, fuel pressure and vacuum leaks will cause lean codes on both banks. Did you plug the vacuum hose for the HVAC stuff when you remove it?

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

i think so... well got a couple things to check out tomorrow, ill let you all know how it goes

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

cleaned the MAF up yesterday during lunch, light didn't come on on the way home but it did this morning on my way in. Picked up a fuel filter on my way home so im going to give that a try, also sounds like there may be a vaccum leak coming from under the dash behind the glove box where all the ac/heat pieces were located so ima look into that as well. Will keep you posted on what i find.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check the small vacuum tube just behind the intake on the passenger side.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Think I found my vacuum leak. Behind the glove box there are 6 lines; green, red, yellow, pink, orange and black. The black line runs in through the firewall on the passenger side by the hole where the ac/heat lines used to be. The orange line runs from a circular device right behind the glove box. The other four come from the driver's side up by where the winshield meets the dash. All six lines run into a junction clip that clips right ito another clip that has all the same lines running out of it. All the lines then run to the ac/heat/air controls bellow the radio. They are not plugged into anything. If any one could chime in who might know if this is where my leak is and let me know that would be great. The reason I ask is cause those lines have been unplugged since I removed the ac/heat 4 months ago and my light just started to come on.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The circular piece is a vaccum splitter. The lines run to the HVAC control knob in the dash.. The single line comming into the splitter is "source vaccum" which comes from the intake manifold..

Side note: On the 3800 cars the "source" vac comes from the UM via the MAP sensor...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    Think I found my vacuum leak. Behind the glove box there are 6 lines; green, red, yellow, pink, orange and black. The black line runs in through the firewall on the passenger side by the hole where the ac/heat lines used to be. The orange line runs from a circular device right behind the glove box. The other four come from the driver's side up by where the winshield meets the dash. All six lines run into a junction clip that clips right ito another clip that has all the same lines running out of it. All the lines then run to the ac/heat/air controls bellow the radio. They are not plugged into anything. If any one could chime in who might know if this is where my leak is and let me know that would be great. The reason I ask is cause those lines have been unplugged since I removed the ac/heat 4 months ago and my light just started to come on.
    the one that runs through the firewall will need to be plugged....that's your leak.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

allright thanks, ill finally have some time tomorrow to do some work on it so ill plug that one up and see what it does

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

hey if i cut the vacuum source line before the splitter and plug it can i rip the rest out or is that gonn f something else up?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You can plug the vacuum fitting at the back of the intake and remove every HVAC vacuum line and actuator in the car if you want.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Sweet man thanks about to tear into it hear in a bit so ill let you know how it goes

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

swapped the fuel filter out and the fuel that was in it was black!, no sediment came out though. I also blocked the black vacuum line that runs into the cabin via the passengerside firewall. My check engine light is still on though. what should the fuel pressure be in a stock t/a so i can check to see if maybe my pump is starting to go. i cant think of anything else that would cause the codes to throw that im getting unless i need a new maf....

Thread Information