check engine codes

This is a discussion on check engine codes within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so, my service engine light has been on for a while, since i opened up my exhaust cut out the ...

black
    2000 Trans Am ws6

check engine codes

so, my service engine light has been on for a while, since i opened up my exhaust cut out the first time. I thought nothing of it, figuring that it was just some dumb error to due with that.

Well i finally got it checked out at autozone (they wouldnt reset it) and here are the codes that came up and what they say the problem is
    p0404 and p0405- seem to be EGR related
    p0420, p0440 and p0300- seem to be vacuum leak related
    p1637-not really sure
    p1133 and p1153- 02 sensor related
    p0443 and p0449- not sure

Was hoping to get some help on how i should start tackling these problems or just some more info on each code. Car seems to be running perfectly fine so im not really sure if there is any major problem at all.

Also is there an easy way to reset the engine light so i could get it rechecked out to see if the same things come back up

Lots of codes there. You can look them up separately at gearchatter.com for descriptions/diagnostics. Off the top of my head P0300 is a random misfire, P0420 usually a bad drivers side cat, P0440 could be a leaking gas cap evap code, P1637 alternator. I'd clear them all to make sure some aren't just history codes. Just posted on how to do a PCM reset manually if you don't have a scan tool.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

agree. you need to clear the codes 1st and see what comes up after that. the thing is that codes stay in the memory for a certain amount of cycles. you need a scanner to reset them. You could just be having an issue with one code. Is the car driving fine?

black
    2000 Trans Am ws6

i reset the check engine light the way nbmz28 said. Will see what pops back up.

The car runs fine. Nothing wrong that i can feel. The only two times i felt it stutter was when i was trying to get a spark plug out, tried some liquid wrench, didnt work, so i drove it to driving temp then took it out. So i assume that the liquid wrench did something since once i let it cool down and put new plug in it ran fine.

Other time it stuttered was 2 months ago and i was idling at a car wash and it just idled rough. Soon as i drove off it fixed it self.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Vince from Shamwow View Post
    i reset the check engine light the way nbmz28 said. Will see what pops back up.

The car runs fine. Nothing wrong that i can feel. The only two times i felt it stutter was when i was trying to get a spark plug out, tried some liquid wrench, didnt work, so i drove it to driving temp then took it out. So i assume that the liquid wrench did something since once i let it cool down and put new plug in it ran fine.

Other time it stuttered was 2 months ago and i was idling at a car wash and it just idled rough. Soon as i drove off it fixed it self.
    what else you done to the car? fuel filter? cleaned the MAF? cleaned TB?

black
    2000 Trans Am ws6

havent changed the timing belt (assume thats wat tb means) or checked the maf since ive owned it.

I believe i got the fuel filter changed when i had some body work done to it, but cant 100% remember.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Vince from Shamwow View Post
    havent changed the timing belt (assume thats wat tb means) or checked the maf since ive owned it.

I believe i got the fuel filter changed when i had some body work done to it, but cant 100% remember.
    TB = Throttle Body. Go get you a can of MAF cleaner spray and remove the MAF and spray it on the small resistors. Don't touch them. Re install it back.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

those codes are kinda all over the place. Basically you have a couple EGR codes, few EVAP codes, cat code, O2 switching codes ( do you have headers?), and I think the 1637 may be a misprint because I'm finding nothing on that one other than it being a common Jaguar code.
    Check the wiring to the evap components. Those codes are all over the place on that....purge and vent solenoid codes and a system code. Make sure your headers haven't burned a wire somewhere or something.
    EGR codes could just be a bad EGR or again...check the wiring.
    Switching codes are normal with headers.
    Your drivers side cat is going.

Has your PCM ever gotten water on it?

black
    2000 Trans Am ws6

went to get car inspected, and the only code that came back up was p0405. Unfortunatley i need to get this fixed before i can pass inspection. Whats the easiest way to check if i have a bad egr

Thread Information