Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cheap HP Upgrade?

This is a discussion on Cheap HP Upgrade? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Best bang for under 1K is headers. You're going to have to dump more than 1k ...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Best bang for under 1K is headers. You're going to have to dump more than 1k to get to where you want to be I'm afraid.
    +1 on that. As well once you get LT's in place that will pay off later when you add a nice Cam/head/Intake package........

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    that is the best bang for the buck... no other single mod unless you break in to the motor will give you gains like that... you could also get N20 but to set that up right it will also cost $1,000.00 or more...

why not get a shift kit???
    How come nobody's mentioned a cam? If he puts a 224R camshaft or a CheatR cam (if he's just looking for a decent bump in power) in he will pick up around 40-60 flywheel horsepower?? As well, a cam & springs will run him well under $1g so he can buy the few needed gaskets......Does he intend to ever go to LT's? If not do the CheatR Cam and wake your engine up.........install of cam and springs fairly easy...IMO

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    How come nobody's mentioned a cam? If he puts a 224R camshaft or a CheatR cam (if he's just looking for a decent bump in power) in he will pick up around 40-60 flywheel horsepower?? As well, a cam & springs will run him well under $1g so he can buy the few needed gaskets......Does he intend to ever go to LT's? If not do the CheatR Cam and wake your engine up.........install of cam and springs fairly easy...IMO
    Not tring to argue but with a 224 cam he SHOULD run BOTH headers and a stall to realize potential.

You also did not consider tune cost......

And a Cheatr will NOT pick up 40-60. I guarantee that

His best ET mod will be a stall (I realize his first post said HP)...........
    Last edited by SOMbitch; 12-09-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    Not tring to argue but with a 224 cam he SHOULD run BOTH headers and a stall to realize potential.

You also did not consider tune cost......

And a Cheatr will NOT pick up 40-60. I guarantee that

His best ET mod will be a stall (I realize his first post said HP)...........
    Actually, good point on the 224 cam needing both headers and stall. Right on there......additionally though, I've seen a couple of threads where a cheatR cam gained 30rwhp on a stock engine with stock exhaust (that's with dyno sheet data confirmation). And that's all on stock tuning......that's the whole point of a CheatR cam......

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Actually, good point on the 224 cam needing both headers and stall. Right on there......additionally though, I've seen a couple of threads where a cheatR cam gained 30rwhp on a stock engine with stock exhaust (that's with dyno sheet data confirmation). And that's all on stock tuning......that's the whole point of a CheatR cam......
    Yeah for somebody who wants to stay stock exhaust one of the cheatrs is about as good as your gonna do......

With 9.5* degrees of overlap you can hear it to.
    Last edited by SOMbitch; 12-09-2009 at 01:22 PM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

about $384.99 (from the site)for the cam and another $255.00 for the springs and retainers... then he'd have to get a tune another $300...

a hair under 1k and that is considering that he installs and does all the work his self... the stall will provide a far greater gain than that cam would...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Oh......OK..I guess this is why so many of us perform labor ourselves. At the end of the day we save so much by tackling these projects ourselves......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information