pewter
    2000 trans am

charging system help

I own a 2000 Trans-Am with approx. 130k miles.When driving at night I notice the headlights and insturment lights flickering from bright to normal slightly. The volt gauge reads about 18-20 volts.It just started doing this a couple days ago and would like to fix this before it becomes something more serious.The alternator is original and the belts are in good shape.Any help would be great.thanks

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Do you hear the fan kick on when you notice the "flickering"? You can take it to any local parts stores to do a charging system check for free. In the mean time check all connections and make sure there clean and tight. And check the battery terminals.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tattmick View Post
    I own a 2000 Trans-Am with approx. 130k miles.When driving at night I notice the headlights and insturment lights flickering from bright to normal slightly. The volt gauge reads about 18-20 volts.It just started doing this a couple days ago and would like to fix this before it becomes something more serious.The alternator is original and the belts are in good shape.Any help would be great.thanks
    That sounds like too much voltage. You should be between 14-16 volts with the car running and the alt charging the battery. 18-20 volts means the alternator is probably overcharging the battery, which can definitely cause damage to electronic components, as well as the battery itself.

Take the car to a local Auto parts store that does free charging system tests (i.e, Advance Auto) and see what they can come up with.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

put a volt meter across the battery terminals and see how much voltage you see there first. Should be ~14.4 volts. Seems like every pontiac I've ever had did this same thing. I had a 79 T/A that did it real bad but it lasted 20 years doing that.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

it also could be the altenator.. the voltage regulator is not regulatin enough voltage so its over charging the car.. I would have it check out at like a Kargen or Autozone.. Starting and charging test..

Blue
    2000 t/a

Angry

i have the same problem with the lights,i put a new battery which it needed one but that didnt help got a charge test and it was fine my next step is the alt.

Thread Information