pewter
    2002 camaro ss

Chage spark plugs or leave em

My 2002 SS has the original spark plugs, but only 12,500 miles on the car. Should I change the plugs or just leave em in. Car runs great.
    Thanks.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

I would leave them alone unless your adding a blower or nitrous or installing a set of longtubes.

They are designed to go 100k.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

just because plugs are designed to go 100.000 miles dont mean that you have to leave them in there for that long. mileage and performance will suffer the longer the plugs are in.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Check cylinder 1 plug (since it's the easiest to get to). If they look fouled/corroded I would chance them.

If a spark plug stays in a seldom used engine, how does performance and mileage suffer?

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

He said he has 12000 miles on the car. We aren't talking ties or fluids here. Spark plugs don't have a shelf life. 50000 maybe but to change a 100000 mile plug, especially on these cars, at 12000 mils is pretty stupid. Unless you just enjoy pain and frustration.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Leave them.. Nothing wrong with the stockers unless the insulators are cracked.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by 04yellowjacket View Post
    just because plugs are designed to go 100.000 miles dont mean that you have to leave them in there for that long. mileage and performance will suffer the longer the plugs are in.
    I agree you don't need to leave them in for 100k but with 12k there is no need to change them unless your a masochist or have misfire.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I believe the stock plugs on a 2002 SS are double platinums so I would think they would be ok. I would just be worried about the plugs seizing in the hole. If you do pull them, replace them with iridium plugs and put a little anti seize on the threads.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Some things to think about.... The original spec gap was set at 50k, later changed to 40k to ensure adequate spark. The original Delco platinum plugs were prone to losing the platinum button on the ground prong leaving a too wide gap. They are at least due for a random check. NGK tr55 iridium would be my recommendation.
    BTW I have you beat at 11,259mi. with original plugs.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

U know not once have I ever had a problem with spark plugs,both on my 105k 02 Camaro and my 50k T/A. Ya I'd just leave it alone until you really do need it
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Blue
    2002 SS Camaro

I wanted to try different plugs, I've changed them twice. As long as you use good plugs, they all work the same. Don't let them seize and strip the head.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I agree with the others who say the only problem would be the plugs seizing.

Quote Originally Posted by SSnow View Post
    Some things to think about.... The original spec gap was set at 50k, later changed to 40k to ensure adequate spark. The original Delco platinum plugs were prone to losing the platinum button on the ground prong leaving a too wide gap. They are at least due for a random check. NGK tr55 iridium would be my recommendation.
    BTW I have you beat at 11,259mi. with original plugs.
    THIS, hits the nail on the head. Those little buttons then float around inside the engine, I've seen them sitting on the tops of pistons upon tear down. Guess the heat siezes them there, if not they get tossed around who knows where, possibly scuffing cylinder walls etc...

I was running a set of double platinum Autolites in my wifes camaro for the last 60,000 miles and just changed them last night. First thing I checked was to see of the platinum buttons were still attached to the ground strap. Luckily all 8 were still there. I had already decided to switch it over to the AR Autolite racing plugs which is a copper core plug, doesn't last as long but has much better spark. So I'll be checking the plugs more often because of the switch, but not a big deal really.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Good info.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

if it is a stock engine i guess it is up to the operator. and yes i have seen a set of plugs run over 100,000 miles and just be clean on the ground. i change my plugs in my gto every 10,000 miles. i used to run ngk tr55's. now i run a little colder plug but still change them every 10k. i need the performance of fresh plugs. and in a modded engine you can definately tell when they get up in miles on them. mine has been down the track a good 100 times. and at a 6900 rpm redline the possibility is there that one will fail or or get weak. the same will happen when a plug is under the stress in a stock engine if it is left in for a long time.
    The manufacturer say's they will go 100,000 miles. but will they fix your engine if one screws up. NOPE...It is called preventive maintainence. i have been working on car's and engines for just about 45 yrs. everyone has there own view on this matter.

Impounded
    I would leave them alone unless your adding a blower or nitrous or installing a set of longtubes.
    Ugg Outlet
    Ugg New Arrivals
    Ugg Earmuffs
    Ugg Gloves
    Ugg Bailey Button
    They are designed to go 100k.

Thread Information