Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Cats..what to do?

This is a discussion on Cats..what to do? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Awesome thanks. Too fast I bought a stock cat off of jeff so itll be a direct fit. So to ...

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Awesome thanks. Too fast I bought a stock cat off of jeff so itll be a direct fit. So to get the o2 sensor out I spray some pb blaster on the outside of it and let it soak overnight as well as the bolts of the cat or I probably wouldn't want to soak it for that long?
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes you can soak it overnight. Do not soak the O2 from inside, that could contaminate it. Just a little from the outside, and yeah soak the other bolts also. Everything should come apart pretty easily, the O2 sensors are not in very tight. You *may* need a special O2 sensor socket to remove it, if your 7/8 open end starts to round it off. The dedicated O2 sockets are like a line wrench, there is a slot on one side to allow for the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    They're supposed to, by at least 1-2 mpg so I've heard. It's great and i'd love to have em but I just can't dish out over a grand for something like this.
    That's good news, every little helps. I know decent headers are a big outlay initially, but I gotta get some eventually.

Sorry to resurrect but I figured I'd ask..should I replace the sensor of the cat while I'm at it? Is it necessary? And if so is it a pain in the arse to do?
    I'd put the money towards getting them tuned out altogether.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

In don't want to do all that work to find out I need a certain type of wrench because the ones I have don't work how much are they? I'll just stop by checker and buy one than take it back when I'm done lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I use a 21mm or 22mm wrench and get mine out all the time. I did have one strip out the bung because something bounced up and ripped the the O2 out as it damaged the ORY. It cost me $2.00 for the bung and $30 for the ORY repair (material, weld in the new bung, and labor) took about 15mins. Not a big deal. Lucky I had a spare O2 sensor....

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I use a 7/8 or 3/4 wrench on them, no problems.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Mine came out without any problem. If you bugger yours up, or if it ends up being bad, I'll gladly ship you one from our car.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

In don't want to do all that work to find out I need a certain type of wrench because the ones I have don't work how much are they? I'll just stop by checker and buy one than take it back when I'm done lol
    I got a socket from harbor freight only a few bucks sprayed them with PB the night before added a little heat with a propane torch and out they came

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I would only replace the downstream O2 sensor if it is throwing a code after you replace the cat. They're easy to get to and no sense spending $$ on something that doesn't affect how your car runs. The upstream O2 senders should be replaced in the 75,000 mile range -- unless they are throwing codes or their output is sluggish.
    how much can they effect your performance? My car has 122k and as far as I know they were never changed. No codes and the rear o2's are tuned out when I put the LT's on, what brand do you recommend?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

With LT's, I always recommend Bosch P/N 13111 sensors. They come with a long harness, so no extensions or splicing are required. The O2's control fueling, so proper functioning is critical.
    Too Fast likes this.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I got a socket from harbor freight only a few bucks sprayed them with PB the night before added a little heat with a propane torch and out they came

Nice. The O2s usually do come right out. The first time you don't warn someone that maybe they won't come out easliy, that's when something bad happens.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Nice. The O2s usually do come right out. The first time you don't warn someone that maybe they won't come out easliy, that's when something bad happens.
    How did you guys get to the downstream O2 sensor wire plug on the drivers side? I tried replacing mine (along with the other three sensors) yesterday. I was able to reach all of the other ones except this one.

Tried to fix P0430, got a fist full of new codes instead!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Is that the one on top of the transmission?

White
    2001 Z28

Is that the one on top of the transmission?
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it. There a diagram 35th-ANV-SS shared in the other thread (http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1203695104), and it's the Rear O2 on the bottom right hand side of the drawing. Unfortunately there's more structure / components under my car than there is in the diagram.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

Is the replacement on the 3.8 virtually the same? Or is the cat welded? My car is currently in the shop and I can't find it online.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks alot, i'll try to use a regular wrench and some PB blaster then in that case. I rightly don't trust myself with a torch lol. I'd love to keep you all updated but I most likely wont be able to tackle this until the beginning of January.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

With LT's, I always recommend Bosch P/N 13111 sensors. They come with a long harness, so no extensions or splicing are required. The O2's control fueling, so proper functioning is critical.
    You can actually use the Bosch 13111 with stock manifolds. all you have to do is loop the additional wire around the motor mount base and use a few cable ties to secure it. The cable doesn't get pinched or in the way. One less expense if you decide to go LTH in the future like me

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    You can actually use the Bosch 13111 with stock manifolds. all you have to do is loop the additional wire around the motor mount base and use a few cable ties to secure it. The cable doesn't get pinched or in the way. One less expense if you decide to go LTH in the future like me
    That's good advice, Jay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information