Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Catch can installed

It finally was above freezing today do I installed my catch can and breather cap.

Does this look right Sarge?

It's hard to see but the PCV system starts in the rear of the engine with the factory line, runs to the top of the catch can (it's black and hard to see in the black engine bay), from the catch can to the PCV valve and then into the throttle body. I then ditched the line running from the throttle body to the front of the passenger's side valve cover. I capped each nipple and installed a breather oil cap on the oil fill neck.

I put a circle around the catch can. It's the left and bellow the breather cap.

Last edited by thearborbarber; 01-17-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I cant even see the can.
    If you are coming out of the block into the can and out the can into your TB your golden.
    I don't know what kind of can you bought but most have an arrow designating the flow direction......

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I bought mine from thunderracing.com. The instructions said to come in the top and out the side.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    I bought mine from thunderracing.com. The instructions said to come in the top and out the side.
    Then your good. Check it ( I assume it has a valve at the bottom to drain) and see what you have after a 1000 miles or so. Good job man!

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

What about the breather and getting rid of the hose from the front of the valve cover to tb? I'm trying to eliminate any source of oil entering the intake but still keep the PCV system active.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You cap the valve cover nipple.
    Think about it...you now have a filtering PCV and have eliminated the non filtering PCV. Positive Crankcase Ventilation.....that is what you have now...just your filtering out the oil mist before re-ingesting it.... Cap the valve cover nipple....The breather is allowing crank pressure to escape ( a good thing)...

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

is the pvc set up the same on all year car's? i was thinking of this to. dose any one have a pic of the set up on a 01 car that i can see. sorry bud but i cant see crap in you pic, to dark.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I was using my camera phone and a flashlight. My storage unit doesn't have any light. It basically looks like the picture below with the exception that my PCV valve is between the catch can and tb instead of the line that runs from the rear of the valve cover and catch can.

Purple 95 Camaro
    Arctic White 02 T/A WS6

Where do you pick up that breather filter and elbow?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

The elbow was already on the valve cover and the filter is;

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Sarge, a few questions...

1. Is the tube out of the back of the TB to the front of the Passenger Valve Cover needed?

2. Since I'm installing a LS6 PCV System, do I still need an inline PVC Valve or is the box on the underside of the LS6 Valley Cover the valve?

3. Is a breather recommended or can I keep my oil cap and run a "closed" system?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here is the deal....many will argue debate till the cows come home. Many folks totally eliminate the entire PCV system and vent the crank and add a catch can. Some add a catch can and keep the PCV valve etc.
    What you are after are a few things here. You don't want oil/condensation coming from your crankcase and being reintroduced back into your intake. You want to eliminate pressure in your crank. So with that said you can go either way. Me I eliminated my PCV totally. I mean what is the purpose of keeping the PCV valve anyway? Some will argue for vacuum......but I struggle with that.....
    I have some of the vented catch cans (high quality I'll post pics) that I can sell you shipped for $100 and no I don't make a penny ( I do it for ls1.com members)....the vented catch can allows back pressure from your crank to escape and you don't need a valve cover breather....
    Here is a good article from How To...http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18
    Here are the catch cans I have....

Here is one installed on my 08 Silverado 327ci....

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

do you always have some around or are you just geting ride of some spares?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have them all the time. I know the guy that makes them and he sells them to me for $90 bucks. Then I have to ship them and drive to the UPS guy etc. So I add $10 bucks.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

So how should this setup run for us FI guys?

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

[quote=Sarge;1785635] Many folks totally eliminate the entire PCV system and vent the crank and add a catch can. What you are after are a few things here. You don't want oil/condensation coming from your crankcase and being reintroduced back into your intake. You want to eliminate pressure in your crank. So with that said you can go either way. Me I eliminated my PCV totally. I mean what is the purpose of keeping the PCV valve anyway?

If you eliminate the entire PCV system and run a breather from where the PCV come off the rear drivers side valve cover and another breather on the passenger side valve cover, it it still necessary to run a catch can?

Black
    00 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I have them all the time. I know the guy that makes them and he sells them to me for $90 bucks. Then I have to ship them and drive to the UPS guy etc. So I add $10 bucks.
    Do you include directions with your catch can?

99 Hugger Z28, 03 R6

I dont mean to start a debate but with an unvented catch can installed, doesnt the oil filler cap breather/filter defeat the purpose of the pcv system? Wouldnt the crankcase pressure (whether positive or negative) vent through the filler breather instead of flowing through the can? I would think with the normal oil filler cap on and an unvented catch can would catch significantly more oil than a vented one due to more air venting. If so, then could you cap the pcv hose at the tb and valve cover and just use the filler breather to keep oil out of the intake?

Or maybe Im just not understanding it right and more breather vents the better.......

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I want you guys to read this written by a fricking genuis good looking man and tell me.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81389

99 Hugger Z28, 03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I want you guys to read this written by a fricking genuis good looking man and tell me.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81389
    Awesome, thanks for the link

Thread Information