Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Catch can install ? Let me know if this is right

I just purchased a catch can from WS6 store and looking to install it tonight. A couple people asked if I had a LS6 valley or LS1. I am guessing LS1, I just installed the LS6 intake but not sure what they are talking about with the valley.

I installed the can on the passanger side head and from the middle port on the can should go to the intake and the stock PCV should connect to the top. is this correct or no. I have seen a lot of guys have it hooked up with the PCV between the can and the intake. I thought this would be easy now I am confused as all hell. thanks for the help

You are correct. The PCV and it's hose (although may need to be lengthened) will connect to the top of the can.
    The middle port on the can goes right back into the intake.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

sounds great thank you much

Black
    SLP Camaro SS

How hard was the install?

NBM
    1998 Z-28

you got it right

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Very easy took about 15 minutes TOTAL

SOM
    2002 SS

Pics or a link to the product? does this help oil consumption much?

Check out Kentucky Speed, they are a sponsor here and had a group purchase of these a while back at a great deal...

They do nothing to stop the oil consumption problem,,,it just catches the oil before it's pumped back into the intake system.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Check out Kentucky Speed, they are a sponsor here and had a group purchase of these a while back at a great deal...

They do nothing to stop the oil consumption problem,,,it just catches the oil before it's pumped back into the intake system.
    If said person is using the LS1 style valley cover, and pulling air from the valve covers instead... I bet oil consumption through PCV system could be greatly decreased, No?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    If said person is using the LS1 style valley cover, and pulling air from the valve covers instead... I bet oil consumption through PCV system could be greatly decreased, No?
    Not sure, I still use the LS1 style cover with the factory PCV setup, which pulls from the back of both valve covers.
    Do you mean use open element breathers instead???

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

i use the LS1 style as well, I have only driven a couple miles I will let you know after I drive a couple hundred miles or so. I also installed a breather oil cap from summit, which looks pretty good!

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Here is a great thread on catch cans from the GTO section. I think on page 6 there are some write ups/pics of ls1/ls6.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81389

a great read!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not sure, I still use the LS1 style cover with the factory PCV setup, which pulls from the back of both valve covers.
    Do you mean use open element breathers instead???
    No, I mean pulling the air from the valley instead of the valve covers. Refering to Sarges thread, Deleting the PCV/lines where its pulling air from the valve cover.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Here is a great thread on catch cans from the GTO section. I think on page 6 there are some write ups/pics of ls1/ls6.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81389

a great read!
    just got done reading that and everything linked with it. first i said that makes sense, then i said wtf is he talking about, and it went back and forth like that the whole way thru. i think part of the confusion is the ls6 intake, where you have the intake portion but not the lifter valley that has the pcv port. correct me if im wrong, and some of this comes from shady, on a 98 w/ ls1 intake, you simply put the catch can on the front of pass. side head, hose coming off of the pcv valve which is along pass. side valve cover goes into the top of the can, the outlet port of the can gets a hose and it goes to the port on the intake downstream of the throttle body. the reason [and heres the hard part] you dont have to mess with the hose from the front of the pass. side valve cover to the port on the throttle body is because that when the vacuum is sucking the ports on the rear of the valve covers that air, fumes pressure, or whatever, is replaced by sucking in thru the front valve cover port and that air comes from the throttle body port, as in some of the air sucked thru the air filter, after passing the maf, gets diverted out the port on the throttle body cuz of the evacuation going on at the other end of the valve covers thus the explanation of the clean v/s dirty side. theoretically the drivers side is sucking some of that air in only its coming the whole way thru the valve train on the pass. side, thru the crankase, and finally thru the drivers side valve train to the port. the pass. side rear is mostly sending clean air to the pcv because its sucking it right from the front of the same valve cover. this [imo] all would result in an even exchange as far as the metered air situation, cuz whatever is being introduced into the intake from the pcv, is simply replacing what was sucked out the throttle body port, which had already been thru the maf, even trade. i dont know if i got this all right, but if im close i feel good.

black
    02 vette vert

No, I mean pulling the air from the valley instead of the valve covers. Refering to Sarges thread, Deleting the PCV/lines where its pulling air from the valve cover.
    the ls1 valley doesnt have a port, thats why the pcv lines pull from the valve covers.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    the ls1 valley doesnt have a port, thats why the pcv lines pull from the valve covers.
    I thought thats whaty I just said? No? You just said exactly my reason behind oil consumption being decreased. Maybe im wrong, I dont want any part of the never ending PCV war

Just makes sense if your pulling air from a hostile place where oil is flinging everywhere opposed to pulling air from a very neutral calm place.... Oil consumption would decrease.

black
    02 vette vert

I thought thats whaty I just said? No? You just said exactly my reason behind oil consumption being decreased. Maybe im wrong, I dont want any part of the never ending PCV war

Just makes sense if your pulling air from a hostile place where oil is flinging everywhere opposed to pulling air from a very neutral calm place.... Oil consumption would decrease.
    sorry, i thought you meant just switch the lines or something.

Ya although under valve covers where rockers are flinging oil sounds hostile,,,,Thats where chevrolet V8's have had PCV valves since the late 60's. There has always been a baffle underneath to control oil and keep it from being pulled into the PCV system.
    Now if I remember right, the LSx stock valve covers do have a very thin piece of sheetmetal on the bottom side to act as a baffle, although unfortunately there insn't alot of room in the design,,,thanks to shallow valve covers to begin with,,,and that might be where most of the problem lies.

Switching to the valley pan via an LS6 intake would probably help. That's how Pontiac engines from the 50's through 1981 had their PCV system, and it worked nicely. That entire valley pan on the pontiac was one huge baffle underneath.

Thread Information