Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Catalytic Converter Warranty

This is a discussion on Catalytic Converter Warranty within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by beach cruiser My car's going in after Christmas for the new cats, $475 each, plus Labor! Since ...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by beach cruiser View Post
    My car's going in after Christmas for the new cats, $475 each, plus Labor! Since Santa is bringing new Headers and a y pipe, should be easy to take them off! I feel bad for stiffing GM, but If you don't ask you don't get! Anybody need cats with 5 miles on them?
    Are your cats available?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by bigcharlie View Post
    Are your cats available?
    This is not a for sale section... please take it to PM's.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by occamaroz View Post
    Gm will only replace the cats with a code po420 or po430. Your codes are for bad 02's and as for the cats weld broken your gonna have to take it to a exhaust shop and have it welded. I just got my driverside cat replaced on monday with a code po420 and had to go two different dealers to get it replaced. The first one, bunch of fools didn't even have the update on there pc. The other knew about the special coverage.
    Thanks for the update. I don't have a check engine light now. I'm just going to keep driving until the light comes on again and then check the codes.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

My questions are: if the check engine light is out, can the error code still be read? Why did the light go off? Do I still have a problem? Have any of you seen where the check engine light came on and then turned off? I assume I still have a problem and the light will come on. But why did it turn off. I canít go back to the dealer without a check engine light on. Any ideas?
    The codes can still be read after the light turns off. The computer stores it in the history. It will clear a DTC when it runs and passes the "diagnostic test" it runs on the cat after it passes 40 times in a row.
    The light is coming on and off because sometimes it passes the test and sometimes it fails the test. Basicly your cat is borderline working/not working.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Are your cats available?
    why would you buy converters if GM will replace them for free??

red
    2000TA

I think the warranty now is 10yrs or 100,000 miles which ever comes first.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Warranty block, GM won't replace cats

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    why would you buy converters if GM will replace them for free??
    GM will replace the cats, including a car with a branded title (salvage). But they also said the car has a "warranty block" and with that they will not replace the cats. I still have the window sticker on the car when I bought it from the insurance company with 300 miles it (stolen). The California Highway Patrol inspected the car and it was all stock. 70,000+ miles later the car still runs great, but....

Any information a what a warranty block is? Who places this on the car? Any suggestions on how to get this removed? Thanks for your comments.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I thought you called GM customer service and they told you they would still cover the cat converters even though you have a warranty block. But I'm thinking that the warranty block means they won't warranty your cats.
    A warranty block means your warranty is void. GM places the block on the car based on branded title lists they get. I believe that once its blocked you can't get rid of it.
    The warranty blocks I usually see involve flood vehicles or collision totaled vehicles.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I thought you called GM customer service and they told you they would still cover the cat converters even though you have a warranty block. But I'm thinking that the warranty block means they won't warranty your cats.
    A warranty block means your warranty is void. GM places the block on the car based on branded title lists they get. I believe that once its blocked you can't get rid of it.
    The warranty blocks I usually see involve flood vehicles or collision totaled vehicles.
    Customer Service said yes (twice) but the GM field rep said no. I bought the car new from the insurance company after it had been stolen and recovered a month later with 300 miles on it (with the sticker in the window and plastic on the seats). After 70,000 miles and one owner (me) this is the only problem. I guess it was "totaled" because the insurance company paid off the dealer. I think I'm stuck for the cost of two new cats. Anyone with any final thoughts or suggestions? I'll give GM a call one more time. I'll let you know.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You are correct Mach 5. LS engines have 4 O2s. Two before the catalytic converter and two after the cats. When the converter went south on my old car, I replaced it with a Magnaflow Stainless converter. I am on the fence about just replacing one converter as there is now way of knowing when the other cat you didn't replace goes south. Like a headlight bulb. If one goes, I replace both.

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

Are your cats available?
    chk mail
    Johnny
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information