Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Catalytic Converter Warranty

Ello, i recently asked what the warranty is on the catalytic converter for a 2000 TA. Im just trying to find if there is a way i could get the letter or bulliten on the recall. And on my passenger catalytic converter it rattles cause the top of the cat, the weld broke. Its stock as well. I am throwing a code every couple miles but will disappear then come back every now and then. The code I am throwing is P0157 O2 Sensor Circuit low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2). I was wondering if this can still be replaced?? Since the code doesnt involve the cat, even though the cat is physically broken.(At the weld)

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

call the dealer and ask them if they will cover the cat. Im pretty sure they have to..
    Heres the info ya need.
    Campaign - Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension
    Subject:
    Special Coverage Adjustment - Catalytic Converter Extended Warranty
    # 05513 - (11/27/2006)

Models:
    2000-02 CHEVROLET CAMARO
    2000-02 PONTIAC FIREBIRD

EQUIPPED WITH 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) ENGINE

Condition

Some customers of 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) engine, may experience a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 27, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 27, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I went to the dealership and they said it wasnt covered. I have a 2000 with 105K miles. Ill print that out and show them

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    I went to the dealership and they said it wasnt covered. I have a 2000 with 105K miles. Ill print that out and show them
    Yeah, same thing happened when my cat went out a few months ago. The car had 78k on it, but was a few months over the 8 year rule. I told the service manager about the extended warranty (I found that info here, thank you LS1.com!), he had no idea it existed. He looked it up, and sure enough he found it. Cats were covered.

I wonder how many people have paid for cats that shouldn't have??

I figure either he REALLY didn't know, or did know, and would charge me AND submit the warranty claim. I'd like to think it was just ignorance, but you never know with these dealers. I just had one tell me I had a broken swaybar ('00 Buick Regal) and it'd be 400 bucks to fix it. Looked under the car when I got home, the swaybar is fine. F'in shysters.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

I might be deleting my cats this week. I will post them up here if I do.
    Lloyd - 2002 Pewter Z-28, T-Tops, Hurst Shifter, Corsa Exhaust, MAF Upgrade, Diablo Sport Tune, Centerforce HD Clutch, SLP lightened flywheel, SLP cold air kit w/ bellows, K&N Filter, Coming soon Ported and Polished heads.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Well i went to the dealership and my cat was covered! i just showed them the service bulliten number, they pulled my car up and determined it will be replaced. Thanks for your guys help!

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

question . after the cats are replaced who gets to keep them ? with the price on the scrap market i would like to keep them after all i paid for them when i purchased the car . so after the swap keep the cats!

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

If the cats are part of a recall or warranty claim they are property of the dealership. This is the case with all warranty items. Most parts get sent back to GM

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by twozs View Post
    question . after the cats are replaced who gets to keep them ? with the price on the scrap market i would like to keep them after all i paid for them when i purchased the car . so after the swap keep the cats!
    I bet the dealership will want to keep them and if the dealership doesn't want them I bet the tech would keep them......tech's ain't dumb. I know one that works for honda and they keep them unless honda calls and requests them....call it a perk. Doesn't mean I wouldn't still ask for them.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

That is exactly how it worked at the dealership I worked at. We were able to sell alot of the parts to junk guys. The only problem was that one of the managers upstairs found out how much money we were making selling aluminum and other things that he wanted the money for himself and took all of our parts to another junk guy. Never saw any of that money again

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Yeah, same thing happened when my cat went out a few months ago. The car had 78k on it, but was a few months over the 8 year rule. I told the service manager about the extended warranty (I found that info here, thank you LS1.com!), he had no idea it existed. He looked it up, and sure enough he found it. Cats were covered.

I wonder how many people have paid for cats that shouldn't have??

I figure either he REALLY didn't know, or did know, and would charge me AND submit the warranty claim. I'd like to think it was just ignorance, but you never know with these dealers. I just had one tell me I had a broken swaybar ('00 Buick Regal) and it'd be 400 bucks to fix it. Looked under the car when I got home, the swaybar is fine. F'in shysters.
    My left CAT is blown and I called the dealership and they said it wasn't covered and then on my local boards, I was clued into this bulletin. I'm going to call them today and ask them about this bulletin and see what they say then.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by lloydb3 View Post
    If the cats are part of a recall or warranty claim they are property of the dealership. This is the case with all warranty items. Most parts get sent back to GM
    Yes and even if it is C/P work, the converters are sent back as a core, otherwise the customer is charged the core charge which is usually more than what they are actually worth.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Well, the dealership replaced both of mine at no charge today. I was kinda taken back at the online price of GM OEM CATS.

I may end up selling them when I get my Headers and Y pipe in a week. What would be a good price for new CATS that are a week old?

The online price for both is $899 ($900)

http://snipurl.com/h4bdu [www_trademotion_com]

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

both of mine got replaced months ago and i had the same issue in that they said it wasnt covered..bs i say and i whiped out the service numbers for them to check it out. What do you know they are both covered...

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for them. Not chump change. Headers and Y FTW!! I'll sell the new CATS.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Well, the dealership replaced both of mine at no charge today. I was kinda taken back at the online price of GM OEM CATS.

I may end up selling them when I get my Headers and Y pipe in a week. What would be a good price for new CATS that are a week old?

The online price for both is $899 ($900)

http://snipurl.com/h4bdu [www_trademotion_com]
    I took mine in as well with the bulletin notice from this post, they said they were not covered, I asked for a manager and what do you know they are! 10years from when the car first went into service or 120K miles. I would like to do the same as the quote above. I'd sell my new ones for the price of a catted Y pipe if anyone's interested. Worse case, I'll let GM do all the hard work of removing the rusty bolts and replacing with new ones that will be easy to get off! I'm going with headers and a catted Y anyway. Just gotta do it in the next 3K miles or before next July.

There was also a part in the notice about reimbursment for previously replaced cats as well. Anyone know anything about that?

There was a claim form enclosed with the letter GM sent me in 2006. Basically says you can get reimbursement if you had the "condition corrected prior to notification." It includes parts, labor, fees and taxes to the amount the repair would have cost if completed by an authorized dealer. Don't know if it's still good, but the number for reimbursement questions on the form is 1-800-204-0261.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

My car's going in after Christmas for the new cats, $475 each, plus Labor! Since Santa is bringing new Headers and a y pipe, should be easy to take them off! I feel bad for stiffing GM, but If you don't ask you don't get! Anybody need cats with 5 miles on them?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

My 2001 Camaro SS check engine light code said it was a bad catalytic convertor. Since the car has a branded title, the dealer would not look at the car. However, Chevrolet customer service says branded titles are still covered because it relates to pollution control (a big thing here in California).
    I had the code cleared twice but the check engine light came on after a few days. But guess what-- while driving today on the freeway, the check engine went out.
    My questions are: if the check engine light is out, can the error code still be read? Why did the light go off? Do I still have a problem? Have any of you seen where the check engine light came on and then turned off? I assume I still have a problem and the light will come on. But why did it turn off. I can’t go back to the dealer without a check engine light on. Any ideas?

BLACK
    2002, CAMARO Z28

Gm will only replace the cats with a code po420 or po430. Your codes are for bad 02's and as for the cats weld broken your gonna have to take it to a exhaust shop and have it welded. I just got my driverside cat replaced on monday with a code po420 and had to go two different dealers to get it replaced. The first one, bunch of fools didn't even have the update on there pc. The other knew about the special coverage.

Thread Information