Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

cat converter keeps going bad! 2000 ws6

This is a discussion on cat converter keeps going bad! 2000 ws6 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Cutlass Yeah apparently to pass your emission inspection there needs to be no emissions codes stored in ...

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yeah apparently to pass your emission inspection there needs to be no emissions codes stored in your computer. So really you don't need to hollow them, just tune out the rear o2's or get the simulators. The simulators are $40 each, you need 2.
    http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html
    lol.. 2 late on the hollowing out,.. hubby already did it,.. anyways, thank you so much for your help,.. hubby is going to come in from the garage and read what you sent us, he'll understand this stuff more than i will,

red
    1999 trans am convert

Sims are quickest and easiest to do.To get the o2s turned off,you need a tuner with a computer and the knowledge to use it.If he goes into the program he can check if the cars running rich also. But the reason I suggested sims was because of your deadline for the test.
    Put the sims on and go take the test-the worst thing that can happen is you fail and then you will have to replace the cats.This will only happen if they use a sniffer in the tailpipe,or do a visual under the car. I don't think most states do this-they just hook up OBD plug and see is the car computer says there are any problems.The sims fib to the car computer so the car computer fibs to the emissions computer and everybodys happy!

Black
    2002 T/A WS.6 -- ASC#12

also, if you just want to pass emissions on an OBD II system you can clear the code, and the cat code will not come on for 3 drive cycles. SO... take it to auto zone clear the code, drive home, turn it off, turn it back on and drive to the inspection place. You are allowed 2 "not ready" monitors (which should only be evap and catalyst codes) at least in Texas.

Try that if you just want to pass

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    Sims are quickest and easiest to do.To get the o2s turned off,you need a tuner with a computer and the knowledge to use it.If he goes into the program he can check if the cars running rich also. But the reason I suggested sims was because of your deadline for the test.
    Put the sims on and go take the test-the worst thing that can happen is you fail and then you will have to replace the cats.This will only happen if they use a sniffer in the tailpipe,or do a visual under the car. I don't think most states do this-they just hook up OBD plug and see is the car computer says there are any problems.The sims fib to the car computer so the car computer fibs to the emissions computer and everybodys happy!
    where can we get the sims, quick?

red
    1999 trans am convert

I've bought from these guys before and know they are quick:http://ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/
    Someone also suggested these:http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html
    I'm sure either would do air freight Monday-these things are small and light so shouldn't be too bad on shipping.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I know if the AIR system isn't working it may clog the cats up.
    How?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The only thing I can think of is if the check valves are leaking, the air flow into the converters could increase the temperature and maybe eventually cause damage.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The only thing I can think of is if the check valves are leaking, the air flow into the converters could increase the temperature and maybe eventually cause damage.
    huh? And why would the air pump be constantly running?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It wouldn't be. I was thinking exhaust pulses would suck air in.
    Well I know I'm definitely stretching here to try to come up with an answer in defense of INMY01TA's post. Maybe he can shed some light on the subject??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information