Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

cat converter keeps going bad! 2000 ws6

This is a discussion on cat converter keeps going bad! 2000 ws6 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by trixysrace11 HI GUYS, Need some help here,.. my ws6 has 48,000 miles on it, and this is ...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by trixysrace11 View Post
    HI GUYS,
    Need some help here,.. my ws6 has 48,000 miles on it, and this is the 2nd time my cat converter has gone bad, not to mention the expense of replacing it! does anyone know what could be causing this converter to keep going bad? and right this very moment i need to get the car inspected, and i cant until the converter code gets wiped out of the system, and im guessing the only way thats going to happen is to replace it ONE MORE FREAKIN TIME!!
    please,.. need some advice here!

thanks
    trixysrace11
    trixy... take it to phoenix perfomance in palm... have them gut that pos cat for you and turn off the rear 02 sensors...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    If they do a sniffer test you will probably fail- but most states don't do this to newer cars with OBDII anymore as the computer will tell if there is a problem.I wouldn't remove cat untill you have been tested as a hard visial test will reveal changes which will be grounds for failure.You could unplg O2 sensor,plug in sim,then wire tie wires together ( so its not hanging down) and should pass any visual other than putting it on a lift-they don't do that in PA do they?
    no sniffer tests here in PA... only a "ok... so SES light on... you pass emissions..."

now for visual inspection... i'm not sure... i dropped my cats completely... so only time will tell if i pass..

red
    1999 trans am convert

I'm sure you meant "no ses light". So yeah she could get by with sims,is that what you have Spaz or did you get them tuned out?

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

Does your exhaust smell like it has raw fuel in it? My car was running very rich and caused me to burn out the original and a replacement cat within 20 thousand miles.

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by GOODZ/BADZ View Post
    Does your exhaust smell like it has raw fuel in it? My car was running very rich and caused me to burn out the original and a replacement cat within 20 thousand miles.
    not that i can remember, but from what everyone seems to be bringing up the most,.. it must be running quite rich, this must be the problem,.. question is, how do you stop it from running rich? i can get most of the work done for free, because my husband works for a place that does work on cars, but my hubby is not a mechanic, he is an auto body man, 29 yrs + and an awesome body man if i must say so! i dont mind gettin work done there, but i want to be an informed customer, i wanna know what they are doing and why,.,. most of them guys keep suggesting hollowing out the converter,.. and thats fine, but it doesnt correct the problem, id prefer to correct the problem!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    I'm sure you meant "no ses light". So yeah she could get by with sims,is that what you have Spaz or did you get them tuned out?
    i had them tuned out...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

not that i can remember, but from what everyone seems to be bringing up the most,.. it must be running quite rich, this must be the problem,.. question is, how do you stop it from running rich? i can get most of the work done for free, because my husband works for a place that does work on cars, but my hubby is not a mechanic, he is an auto body man, 29 yrs + and an awesome body man if i must say so! i dont mind gettin work done there, but i want to be an informed customer, i wanna know what they are doing and why,.,. most of them guys keep suggesting hollowing out the converter,.. and thats fine, but it doesnt correct the problem, id prefer to correct the problem!

that is what i did (untill i got headers then i got rid of the cats completely) and it worked fine... holowing out the cats isn't going to fix the problem unless you get the rear o2 sensors tuned off or get 02 sims...

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

If it isn't running right the should probably be an ses light.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    If it isn't running right the should probably be an ses light.
    not all the time...

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    that is what i did (untill i got headers then i got rid of the cats completely) and it worked fine... holowing out the cats isn't going to fix the problem unless you get the rear o2 sensors tuned off or get 02 sims...
    ok, gotcha,.. i will make the suggestion to hubby thanks a bunch spaz..
    by the way,.. cool name,..SPAZ!

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

There's a bunch of things that can cause it to run rich. A leaking fuel injector, or sticking injector, vaccum leaks, bad MAF sensor, etc. All these things are problems a good technician will check for. I would want to correct the problem and not just bandaid it by hollowing the cats out.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Do a leak down test on your fuel injectors, my cat went bad and found my injectors were leaking when engine was at rest, replaced them with Accel injectors from Summit under $300, fixed cat problem and boosted performance and fuel economy!

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by GOODZ/BADZ View Post
    There's a bunch of things that can cause it to run rich. A leaking fuel injector, or sticking injector, vaccum leaks, bad MAF sensor, etc. All these things are problems a good technician will check for. I would want to correct the problem and not just bandaid it by hollowing the cats out.
    my thoughts exactly, i want it fixed right, not just covered up! soooo glad you guys think like i do! thanks 4 the help!

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by autobrakedrums View Post
    Do a leak down test on your fuel injectors, my cat went bad and found my injectors were leaking when engine was at rest, replaced them with Accel injectors from Summit under $300, fixed cat problem and boosted performance and fuel economy!
    another good idea,.. thanks, im taking in all this info!

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    what are "sims"?.. need to know, we're ready to get moving on getting this car ready for inspection

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Its an o2 sensor simulator. The computer is looking for a certain pattern in the signal from the 2 rear sensors. That signal pattern tells the computer the cat converters are operating properly. If the signal pattern doesn't look right to the computer the SES light will come on. A sim will plug into the o2 sensor connector instead of the actual o2 sensor and will simulate a 'properly operating' cat converter.
    Technically they are illegal for a street driven car and most likely won't pass a visual inspection, if one is done where you live.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by QKSLVR View Post
    just get rid of them all together and have it retuned may not be exactly legal but if it is a pretty much stock car should clear inspections even without cats, hell mine did and it's got over 95K on it and a bunch of mods
    +3
    just slip in straight pipe in the spot where the cats were and get sims or just delete rear 02

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    +3
    just slip in straight pipe in the spot where the cats were and get sims or just delete rear 02
    for the moment, im i just want to get this car through inspection, im due to run out the end of the month. so... if we hollow out the cat.. will this be enough, or do we also need to delete the 02 sensor also?

maple red metalic
    2000 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Its an o2 sensor simulator. The computer is looking for a certain pattern in the signal from the 2 rear sensors. That signal pattern tells the computer the cat converters are operating properly. If the signal pattern doesn't look right to the computer the SES light will come on. A sim will plug into the o2 sensor connector instead of the actual o2 sensor and will simulate a 'properly operating' cat converter.
    Technically they are illegal for a street driven car and most likely won't pass a visual inspection, if one is done where you live.
    thank you so much for giving me the scoop on this,.. are these sims expensive?..
    and last but not least,.. what if we decide to hollow out the cat just for now,.. do we also need to use these sims?..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah apparently to pass your emission inspection there needs to be no emissions codes stored in your computer. So really you don't need to hollow them, just tune out the rear o2's or get the simulators. The simulators are $40 each, you need 2.
    http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information