Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Car won't start please help!!!

Please help me. I am having issues startin my car. I have a 1998 z28 and for some reason the it won't start. When I turn the key the lights go out and if you listen really close you can hear the selenoid click but it won't turn over. i have the security light on but it has been on since I bought the car and hasn't ever effected starting. I have tried cleaning the key and Ignition. And I have also swiched the starter and Ignition relays...Still no go. Please help

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key, any reason to suspect the battery? I want to say it's your vats due to you having the security light on but with the lights going out it could also be a corroded terminal on the battery or corroded wire. I don't remember my lights giong out when my vats took a dump.

600hp sube power sancar
    68 panel,

i know it sound stupid but did you check the battery it may be dead. usually when a battery dies thats exactly what happens

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Yea, I was thinking that it could be the battery also, but when I turn the lights on they are pretty bright still. But also when I turn the car to on the battery needle goes to the very border of the red section. It has done this on and off for about 1 week now. Do you think the starter could be going out? Yea the fuel pump primes, then clicks off. When you start your car, do your headlights go out before it cranks?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I agree with the other guys... battery is probably the problem.. low amps/bad connection would cause this.. DPO stripped out the bolts to the battery and my car did this one night while cruising.. luckily I was about 200 feet from walmart..

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Mine recently did this...twice. First time, it was the VATS. Security light always stayed on, no problem though. Then one day, it goes off while driving, next day, won't start and security light starts blinking. I bypassed it. Next, changed water pump and AC compressor, started fine. Got it home, went to start it a few days later, nothing but clicks. Changed the starter a year ago, so it shouldn't be that. Charged the battery, nothing. Got it tested, battery was fully charged. Put it back in, everything was fine. I think I didn't thread the connection correctly all the way after the water pump change, so it didn't have a solid connection.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

vats or the battery would be the first 2 suspects... my 94 maro the ignition switch at the bottom of the column went out and caused these same symptoms...

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Your lights don't draw nearly as much current as the starter. Have the battery load tested.

SS Driver

Black
    00 Camaro SS #5255

Check your ground. There should be a small ground wire running from the neg terminal to the fender. Make sure its clean and tight.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

I recently had this same problem. Found out it was because the good ol AC delco battery was leaking through the positive terminal. The headlights would shine bright but it wouldnt turn the starter.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Finally

So I had been messing with this car all night. I work 12 hr shifts and I would go out on my breaks and try to get it to start. Well it never did...I had my telephone in one hand and the keys in the other to give it one last try. Mind you it was 20 degrees out and i've been working on this car all night so I'm pissed. I give her one last shot and she starts. I drive her back to my local shop and they found that the starter solenoid was shot so a little lighter in the wallet but my car cranks now with out a second thought. Now on to the next problem. (MISFIRE that goes away)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

boy, I dropped the ball on this one. I should've recommended you check that. I've fixed cars with that same problem a few times. I remember once I pulled into wal-mart after I got off work. It was like 11pm and there was a minivan with the hood up and I parked next to them. It was a family of 4. The husband look like he was at the end of his rope. A pissed wife and 2 screaming kids and his van wouldn't start. He had the same symptoms you had and I crawled under the van and knocked the crap out of his starter with a tire iron. Fired right up. I thought the guy was gonna kiss me.

Glad you got it worked out.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    boy, I dropped the ball on this one. I should've recommended you check that. I've fixed cars with that same problem a few times. I remember once I pulled into wal-mart after I got off work. It was like 11pm and there was a minivan with the hood up and I parked next to them. It was a family of 4. The husband look like he was at the end of his rope. A pissed wife and 2 screaming kids and his van wouldn't start. He had the same symptoms you had and I crawled under the van and knocked the crap out of his starter with a tire iron. Fired right up. I thought the guy was gonna kiss me.

Glad you got it worked out.
    nice!!!

Thread Information