car won't start

This is a discussion on car won't start within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i've got my car at the bodyshop right now getting worked on...so keep in mind that i am not near ...

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

car won't start

i've got my car at the bodyshop right now getting worked on...so keep in mind that i am not near my car.

the body guy called and said that the car won't start and that the battery is fully charged. he said that he thought that it was acting like a security system was locking the ignition out.

i don't have an aftermarket system on the car...just the normal factory keyless entry and whatnot.

i just had the starter replaced last fall and things were working just fine with no problems so i don't think that it's the starter.

any thoughts?

black
    07 z06

is it cranking over normal ? got fuel ? got spark ? got milk ?

Silver
    2000 Z28

I just went through the same thing with my 2000. If the VATS is the culprit, the light will stay on while trying to start and for a short time thereafter. My problem was the starter solenoid which I verified by using a test light at the terminal on the solenoid. When the switch was turned to the crank position, the test light showed power to the terminal, but the solenoid / starter did nothing. I dropped the starter and since the bendix gear showed some wear, I just replaced the starter and solenoid. Good Luck.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

is it gettin any power at all (accessories come on when key is turned on) if not could just be a connection, probably battery cables (a little corrision could be the cause) . . . start with the simple stuff first
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 04-02-2008 at 11:21 AM.
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

yeah i told him just try disconnecting the battery for a couple hours to see if it would reset...something. i haven't heard back from him yet. it could be the vats system i do suppose i hadn't thought about that.

like i say i don't have the car nearby it's at the shop and i'm in a different town right now at school so i'll have to wait for this evening before i can check things out.

thanks for the hits though guys.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

okay well i stopped and looked at the car so i can talk a little more about what it's doing.

you can hear a rapid (machine gun paced) clicking coming from under the dash or hood area. the car will not crank over. the seat belt light flashes very fast as well.

one of the guys also said that the car apparently has an external sensor on it in the rear. something i never knew...if it really does i have no idea i guess i should have bothered to ask a little more about that one.

anyway they are going to charge the battery and disconnect it and reconnect it and see if it starts...i'm thinking it won't. it is starting to sound like a vats issue or a security system issue.

thoughts?

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Rapid Clicks and random Accssy Flashing are two big culprits

1 Dead Battery, it might show volatage but it might be chocking under loads try jumping the starter/popping the clutch.
    2 big time short somewhere, the relay(and by relay i mean the wire that runs from the start terminal on the switch to the starter relay) from the ignition switch to the starter relay got grounded somewhere try using a circuit tester. or may I ask what was the body shop working on?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

rear right quarter panel, front bumper, hood, roof, both front fenders, and a full paintjob.

he said that the battery was fully charged previously but he was charging the battery while i was there as well and he said that he would call me later on and let me know what was goin on.

i'm not sure how the thing could have shorted out...unless a critter had been chewin on it. the car has been sitting not running or anything for a couple months now.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

they might of grounded some wires.

It has a big wing!

I have had batteries just,bam,go out instead of the usual not holding a charge pattern.

Everything will be fine and then one day I will go out and click click click...very rapid clicking and it won't charge with a jump.

Try swapping a known good battery in to test it out??

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

haven't done that at all. the battery is less than a year old.

Thread Information