Thread: Car Trouble

Daytona Sunset Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Car Trouble

I am at a loss here, and I was hoping for a little help. My 2001 SS is acting a little....hinky. Hopefully I can explain the problem well enough for somebody to understand.

Sometimes it won't start when I turn the key. The battery is charged, but the starter won't crank. When it does this, all the gages start twitching. Eventually, it starts though.

Then, sometimes it won't stay running. It sounds like it is missing bad, and barely putters at about 400-500 RPM before dying. Much like the previous problem, it will eventually start and run normally.

Finally, sometimes it will just die while I am driving. This is rare, it has only happened two or three times. However, when it does happen it is preceded by a "Service Vehicle" light, not the "Service Engine Soon" (SES) light and then all the gages go dead. Shortly thereafter, the car dies. It may take a few tries, but eventually the car kicks over and runs fine.

All of this happens randomly (or at least it seems random to me). It has done this in the morning, afternoon, and evening. It has done it in heat 90+degrees with high humidity, heat w/o humidity, rain, and just about any other type of summer weather imaginable.

I am at a loss...anyone have any ideas? I have been told that I may have a bad MAF. I have the SLP MAF, does this sound familiar to anyone?

Please help!

black
    2002 WS6

Yea, first off, ditch the SLP MAF for a stocker, Any other mods? When did this start to happen? When was the fuel filter changed? How is the battery looking any corrosion or leaking?

Start with those first.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Clean and tight battery terminals?
    Sounds like your loosing power and its having to re-learn the idle when it finaly gets a good connection, check your battery terminals and make sure they are good and tight and also insure its tight at the starter..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Clean and tight battery terminals?
    Sounds like your loosing power and its having to re-learn the idle when it finaly gets a good connection, check your battery terminals and make sure they are good and tight and also insure its tight at the starter..
    J
    I agree...it really sounds like an issue with loose or corroded cables.

Daytona Sunset Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Thanks, I'll check the terminals today. As far as the MAF, I tried to use the stock one the other day, but because of the smooth bellows and SLP air lid, it doesn't seal quite right...and as a result, the car won't even stay running.

The fuel filter is only a couple of thousand miles old, 4000-5000 tops. Other mods are Mid length headers, y-pipe (cat delete), SLP cold air kit, air lid, MAF, smooth bellows, and a local shop (F-Body Central) did a tune with LS1 Edit. All these mods are at least 6 months to a year old. This problem has only been happening for the last 2-4 weeks.

Thanks for the help.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

is the check engine light on??? if so what codes are being thrown???

Daytona Sunset Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

no SES lights. No codes. It's a freakin' mystery!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

why does everyone always say that the stock MAF is soo much better than the SLP MAF??

Daytona Sunset Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

No clue, but I would figure that just the mere size difference between the SLP and stocker would make the SLP worth it. Maybe the SLP has bad software or cheap construction??? Anyone care to fill us in on why SLP MAF's are bad????

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    why does everyone always say that the stock MAF is soo much better than the SLP MAF??
    the slp maf will work fine if your car is tuned for it, just not always the same calibration from maf to maf thats all. slp maf's are made by Delphi, if you pop the slp sticker off you will find the delphi imprint.....

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by KeithM514 View Post
    No clue, but I would figure that just the mere size difference between the SLP and stocker would make the SLP worth it. Maybe the SLP has bad software or cheap construction??? Anyone care to fill us in on why SLP MAF's are bad????
    to elminate any maf problems you can just unplug it and that will set your car i speed density mode (ses light will be on if you do this), but it doesn't really sound like a maf issue. most maf problems are caused from the car running too lean after the swap to an aftermarket maf such as the slp, but your computer can be tuned to the new maf
    hope i helped

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

where did the delphi company develop out of? what if my intake says delphi on it??

Daytona Sunset Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I had my car tuned after the MAF was installed...I am actually running a little rich. Exhaust smells like gas sometimes. You can really smell the gas when I park it in the garage. My wife also said she saw black smoke coming out of the exhaust the last time I got on it. Of course, that may have to do with the fact that I got almost 120k on the car...

As far as my original problem, I took off my valve cover breather (after market) and put the stock oil cap back on. The car has run fine ever since. Coincidence? I don't know, but she hasn't given me any trouble yet.

Oh and by battery terminals are all good too, so that wasn't the problem either.

Thanks for all the help, I find it very cool that you are all willing to help out like this!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by KeithM514 View Post
    I had my car tuned after the MAF was installed...I am actually running a little rich. Exhaust smells like gas sometimes. You can really smell the gas when I park it in the garage. My wife also said she saw black smoke coming out of the exhaust the last time I got on it. Of course, that may have to do with the fact that I got almost 120k on the car...

As far as my original problem, I took off my valve cover breather (after market) and put the stock oil cap back on. The car has run fine ever since. Coincidence? I don't know, but she hasn't given me any trouble yet.

Oh and by battery terminals are all good too, so that wasn't the problem either.

Thanks for all the help, I find it very cool that you are all willing to help out like this!
    might want to checkout the o2 sensors if your problems come back...hope you fixed it though

Red
    '72 Chevy C10 SWB

I hope you don't have any more problems, but if you do, check out the positive batt cable real well. My old piece of junk Delco battery leaked acid from the pos post down the cable and all over the frame. i pitched the Delco and put in an Optima after cleaning the cable, and eventually had the same problem. The cable looked fine, but was full of corrosion when I cut the jacket open. My car acted exactly how you're describing yours. It's no big deal putting the new cable in, but it sucks having to buy it from the dealer. Hopefully you're all fixed up, this is just fyi. Good looking car!
    Last edited by TexasLS1; 09-27-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Thread Information