Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Car torn apart

This is a discussion on Car torn apart within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yeah-that's a very crude cut! Obviously he was a shade tree mechanic who wasn't prepared to do any sheetmetal work. ...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yeah-that's a very crude cut! Obviously he was a shade tree mechanic who wasn't prepared to do any sheetmetal work. But anything can be fixed. And it will never be seen once patched up and under the carpet. If the guy was paid for this then he needs to be told to at least help straighten it back up. I would cut the hole out all the way and straighten out the edges-then patch .

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

because of the fumes and all will a cutting tool be dangerous cuz od sparks ? ? ? If so what can i use to make a nice square to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroskater1028 View Post
    because of the fumes and all will a cutting tool be dangerous cuz od sparks ? ? ? If so what can i use to make a nice square to fix it?
    A angle grinder with a SMALL cutoff wheel can make a nice cut. You'd have to go very slow and VEEEEERY carefully with the cuts to make sure you dont cut through a fuel line. Since you smell fumes, you're gonna want to clear that up first.

I can't believe that the guy hacked up yo sh*t like that!

I'm thinking that if you couldn't replace your own fuel pump, you might be out of your league on this. I'd take it to a shop if I were you. (no disrespect intended, just based on my observations here).

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

No disrespect, but, since your rear is all F'ed up, I would just take a hammer to that and flatten it out some. Then put the sheet metal you got over it and seal it. Oh, and i would get my moms money back if she paid the "mechanic" to do the job.

Red
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

It is just amazing how someone can just walk away from a job leaving it like that. You would think the guy would have thrown a bucket of silicon to fill the gaps and then put the carpet back, so at least no one would notice. I wonder how he would be if he were a plumber. He would probably rip out the sink, fix the pipe and then leave. The pipe would be fixed, but the sink would be on the floor in your living room.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

wow thats worse then when i installed sheet metal wheeltubs in for the 1st time...dude used shears on your car and totally didnt care what it looked like........BUT HEY IF YOUR MOM IS FINDING YOU MECHANICS FOR YOUR F-BODY, THEN IM SCARED FOR YOUR CAR.....

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

yea well iif i knew he was going to open up the back, I could have done it. I though he was going to lower the tank, until i got there and it was all messed up. I was also goin to take it to some shop in inglewood to get that done but it was way too far, and she just said "dont worry i have a friend that can do it." So i was like ok well we'll see what he can do. Now i regret it.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If that guy had any decency he would have talked to you and told you what his plan was. Now you know for the next time to just take care of things yourself. It's not even my car and I'm pissed at that guy!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

are there actually fumes-are is it just a left-over smell of gas? There is a difference of course. If there isn't any actual fumes present then it'll be OK to use a cut-off wheel to recut the hole. You could even have Mom buy you a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to use (since she has to feel bad about what happened right?) Follow the links given in previous comments and do it like they did-making a patch out of sheetmetal commonly available at the hardware store. Using short sheetmetal screws and a drill, secure panel down usin either silicone sealer or RTV Black silicone to seal it. You'll be fine after all this-nobody will see it .

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Take your time and try to flatten out the edges get an aluminum peice of metal seal it and screw it down. I hope he didnt damage the carpet because once you pull it back over nobody will know. I think if people knew what you had to do do drop the tank and do it the "right way" people wouldnt give you such a hard time. I was quoted $720 to do it in my g/f's 86 Iroc. Took me about 1 1/2 and cost me the fuel pump only.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If you know that your car is going to get cut nicley and finished is one thing, but if get a hack job that you didn't know about is another thing.

Red
    96' Camaro SS M6

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...8/DSC05903.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...8/DSC05901.jpg
    here are the after pics. Just finished this up. Put the sheet metal with cocking under and around with sheet metal screws. Took it for a ride and good bye fumes. Now to go get it tuned. Thanx for the help guys

Black
    1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

nice fix. Tell Rambo that his knife isn't good for that kinda work. Lokked like he used the old " i can open a fish can with my knife" trick.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Good job.Now maybe you should address the "fumes" problem? Doesen't that suggest an exhaust leak?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information