White
    '02 Formula A4

Car starting problems.

Sometimes when I go to start my car it doesn't start the first crank. I have to take the key out and try it again and it starts right up. I've tried finding a common link but it doesn't matter if the a/c is on or off, if it sits for 1 minute 1 hour, or overnight it does it randomly(alot). Its always started on the second try but its kinda bothers me. I brought it to Pontiac and they said my fuel system was clogged so I had them do a fuel job(changed filter, etc..) but it still does it. All my cables look good and my battery is strong so I'm at a lost. Any help will be great.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

You might justs need a good tune up. Change the plugs and wires. If the battery is original, I would change it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you have to wait any amount of time between tries? Is the security light ( on the gauges) lit? Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? Hook that to the end of the drivers side fuel rail and make sure you're getting good pressure on the first turn of the key. What about if you cycle the key 2-3 times before ever attempting to start the car? Does that help?

White
    '02 Formula A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    do you have to wait any amount of time between tries? Is the security light ( on the gauges) lit? Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? Hook that to the end of the drivers side fuel rail and make sure you're getting good pressure on the first turn of the key. What about if you cycle the key 2-3 times before ever attempting to start the car? Does that help?
    I don't have to wait at all between tries.

When you say cycle the key you mean turn it to acc. 2-3 times then start it?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I'm having a similar problem. 1st thing in the morning I turn the key over (from run to start) and......nothing. No lights, no fan, nothing. Let the key back, try it again and it starts right up. Works fine the rest of the day.

Day in and day out, this has been going on for 2 months. Took it to the stealership a week ago and they said, "Could not duplicate the problem", even though I left it overnite. Fortunately they didn't charge me any $$$. Turned the key yesterday and it started up fine. Today same as the last few months.

This only occurs 1st thing in the morning after the car has sat. Is this the problem you're having?

And to all others, is there a fix? Or do I have to wait til it strands me in the desert (Phoenix area)? Any ideas?????

White
    '02 Formula A4

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'm having a similar problem. 1st thing in the morning I turn the key over (from run to start) and......nothing. No lights, no fan, nothing. Let the key back, try it again and it starts right up. Works fine the rest of the day.

Day in and day out, this has been going on for 2 months. Took it to the stealership a week ago and they said, "Could not duplicate the problem", even though I left it overnite. Fortunately they didn't charge me any $$$. Turned the key yesterday and it started up fine. Today same as the last few months.

This only occurs 1st thing in the morning after the car has sat. Is this the problem you're having?

And to all others, is there a fix? Or do I have to wait til it strands me in the desert (Phoenix area)? Any ideas?????
    Uhh kinda, except everything else will come on(a/c fan, radio, lights, etc), it just wont turn over. And it will do it 5 times a day or 0 times a day, its just so random on my car. Atleast for you, you know to expect it in the morning.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneLS1 View Post
    Uhh kinda, except everything else will come on(a/c fan, radio, lights, etc), it just wont turn over. And it will do it 5 times a day or 0 times a day, its just so random on my car. Atleast for you, you know to expect it in the morning.
    Like Orion asked is the security light coming on?

White
    '02 Formula A4

Its just comes on with the rest of the lights on the gauge cluster, then it goes off. It never stays on.

Thread Information