Black
    1999 WS6

Car starting by itself when connecting battery!

oK,

I replaced the motor put everything back together, went to connect the battery and the damn thing started. the key was in the on position. I turned the ignition off and tried again. once again the starter kicked on and started cranking the motor over. The good news is its starts! the bad new is I cant get it to not start! What the heck is going on? do I have a bad starter? wires crossed somewhere? I have no idea. everything looks to be where it came from. I need help!

99 WS6 LS6 M6

Pewter
    02 Z28

that is weird recheck all the wires
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

your starter wires are touching....been there and done that. Make sure nothings shorting out under there.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    your starter wires are touching....been there and done that. Make sure nothings shorting out under there.

Red
    1996 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by belairtx55 View Post
    oK,

I replaced the motor put everything back together, went to connect the battery and the damn thing started. the key was in the on position. I turned the ignition off and tried again. once again the starter kicked on and started cranking the motor over. The good news is its starts! the bad new is I cant get it to not start! What the heck is going on? do I have a bad starter? wires crossed somewhere? I have no idea. everything looks to be where it came from. I need help!

99 WS6 LS6 M6
    Had the exact same problem with my buddy's 2001 Z. First check all your wiring. But my first question is do you have a remote car starter on your car?

My buddy did not even know his alarm system had a remote starter to it when he bought the car. Well after the battery was disconnected for a month when we did a head and cam package the small battery inside the alarm system went dead and right when we hooked the battery cables up the lights came on and it fired right up. Scared the living shit out of us. Worst part was there was no oil in the pan yet, but I got the car shut off in about 10 sec.

All I ended up doing was disconnect the alarm and remote start system and everything worked great.

Black
    1999 WS6

Thanks Guys!

The power cable from the battery to the starter was turned to where the little key slot part was not in the slot. Instead it was touching the smaller terminal were the wire from the ignition comes in on the silinoid. turned the cable put it back together and wola starts like its suppose to now.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by belairtx55 View Post
    Thanks Guys!

The power cable from the battery to the starter was turned to where the little key slot part was not in the slot. Instead it was touching the smaller terminal were the wire from the ignition comes in on the silinoid. turned the cable put it back together and wola starts like its suppose to now.
    been there...done that....got the t-shirt Scared the piss out of me the first time I did that and connected the battery cables up. Sparks flew, I was jumping around like a madman, and had to get a clean pair of underwear. Just not something you expect to happen when you touch the battery cable to the battery is it?

Black
    1999 WS6

Hell yea it scared the piss out of me and the wife. she was standing there watching in antisipation. The first time it just turned over. scared the hell out of me. Then my dumb a$$ connects the battery again to see WTF and didnt realize the key was on! damn thing started with open headers in a closed garage! Thats when it scared the piss out of us. never seen my wifes face look so scared before!

Thread Information