car stalled while going 90mph...any opinions welcomed!

98 automatic Camaro Z28 LS1

...had both cats replaced, O2's were not replaced as they were still good, drove the car from jacksonville, florida to atlanta, georgia a few days later.
    it did FINE on the way up there, in ALL of that god forsaken traffic in atlanta, no issues whatsoever, so, im on the way back to florida and about 300 miles into the drive home, all of a sudden the car died like it was out of gas, i pulled over it wouldnt start, it cranked but no combustion, sat with it on the side of the road trying for about an hour, finally it started up and i got the hell outta there.
    ...about 50 miles later, it died again, sat with it about an hour, it finally started again, got it home, started fine a lil bit of backfire this morning, a LITTLE bit. went and bought a fuel filter, put it on, and so far, so good. i dont hear the small pops of backfire anymore and the fuel pump is fine, i hear the priming noise every time. etc. oh...and NO SES codes were thrown, the light did not come on.
    my question is this. what could have caused this to happen? could have been the fuel filter i know, and i replaced it today, could it have been the O2's that were not replaced? could it be something i havn't thought of? it seems to be fine now, but im waiting for that random stall out again. could it possibly be the 'crank sensor'???

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Wow--that sucks! my vacation drive from TX to NC takes me through Atlanta--that would have really been a nightmare if it had happened there! Only info I have to offer is that a couple years ago after i had just bought mine it started to 'hang up' sometimes--i remember being in the passing lane of a twisty highway with my foot on the floor and about the time I was going to complete the pass, the car just hung at 90m.p.h. It didn't die, but the rpms just stuck for long enough for me to look down and say outloud-w.t.f.??? Happened twice before i replaced fuel filter, and has never happed again with new fuel filters every year. Hope that's all you'll have to deal with!

since i replaced the fuel filter it hasn't cut out! cheap and easy fix!
    thanks for the replay man! and yeah man atlanta traffic is horrrrrific! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    Wow--that sucks! my vacation drive from TX to NC takes me through Atlanta--that would have really been a nightmare if it had happened there! Only info I have to offer is that a couple years ago after i had just bought mine it started to 'hang up' sometimes--i remember being in the passing lane of a twisty highway with my foot on the floor and about the time I was going to complete the pass, the car just hung at 90m.p.h. It didn't die, but the rpms just stuck for long enough for me to look down and say outloud-w.t.f.??? Happened twice before i replaced fuel filter, and has never happed again with new fuel filters every year. Hope that's all you'll have to deal with!

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

fuel filter is the only thing I could think of but that does seem weird that no code was thrown you would think that if your engine was starved for fuel that it would of bucked or showed some signs and at some point thrown a code... be sure to post if something comes up.

although it hasnt cut off since i installed the new fuel filter, i think tomorrow im gonna go ahead and replace the oxygen sensors, i dont know, but i just have a feeling, not replacing them may have contributed to the car stalling. new cats, so may as well replace the sensors as well. i will keep up in this thread about how the car is doing! hopefully things are solved as i will be making another trip to atlanta, from jacksoville oct 5th in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    fuel filter is the only thing I could think of but that does seem weird that no code was thrown you would think that if your engine was starved for fuel that it would of bucked or showed some signs and at some point thrown a code... be sure to post if something comes up.

It's easy enough to stick a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what you have. If the pressure is low, especially when on the throttle it could be a sign of a weak fuel pump. Since your car is approaching 10 years old it's about time for one if it hasn't been replaced already.

Maybe the pump didn't like the long continuous run time on the long trip home and quit. Pulling off and letting it cool helped it a bit.

You almost describe a vapor locking problem, which low fuel pressure would compound that issue. It could have even been a batch of crappy gas that you may have gotten in Georgia on the way back or something silly like that.

Just throwing some stuff out there, but I would definately hook a fuel gauge on the rail and see what you have, if for nothing else, just piece of mind.

possible solution?

i was told this morning that it sounds like the fuel pump is overheating, which would explain why the car starts right back up once its cooled down. does this make sense?
    i guess i am taking it to the shop tomorrow morn so they can see wtf is going on. it hasnt cut off since i replaced the fuel filter, but then again i havent driven it 270 miles in one outing as when it cut off and acted up on the road coming home from atlanta.
    Last edited by 98z28duval; 09-27-2007 at 12:16 PM.

will take care of this tomorrow and see whats up! thanks for the info i think you may be right on about the pump!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's easy enough to stick a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what you have. If the pressure is low, especially when on the throttle it could be a sign of a weak fuel pump. Since your car is approaching 10 years old it's about time for one if it hasn't been replaced already.

Maybe the pump didn't like the long continuous run time on the long trip home and quit. Pulling off and letting it cool helped it a bit.

You almost describe a vapor locking problem, which low fuel pressure would compound that issue. It could have even been a batch of crappy gas that you may have gotten in Georgia on the way back or something silly like that.

Just throwing some stuff out there, but I would definately hook a fuel gauge on the rail and see what you have, if for nothing else, just piece of mind.

Ya it could be that your new fuel filter helped to relieve some of the strain on the pump. But like you said, you haven't driven continuously on the highway since. If the fuel pump is on the weak side this could be your problem. A fuel pressure test would help answer that.

Also these in tank pumps rely on fuel to keep them cool,,,,so if you ran your car low on gas before you made a pit stop, it could have compounded the problem as well. I never let my tank go below 1/4 tank just for this reason. Cheers.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28duval View Post
    although it hasnt cut off since i installed the new fuel filter, i think tomorrow im gonna go ahead and replace the oxygen sensors, i dont know, but i just have a feeling, not replacing them may have contributed to the car stalling. new cats, so may as well replace the sensors as well. i will keep up in this thread about how the car is doing! hopefully things are solved as i will be making another trip to atlanta, from jacksoville oct 5th in the car.
    might go with plugs too if you're doing all that... burnin' em up lean might be a problem for ya.

checked the fuel pressure, its fine! ...so i guess this was a case as you guys have said, fuel pump overheated due to low gas and 100's of continous miles on the trip.
    thanks all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya it could be that your new fuel filter helped to relieve some of the strain on the pump. But like you said, you haven't driven continuously on the highway since. If the fuel pump is on the weak side this could be your problem. A fuel pressure test would help answer that.

Also these in tank pumps rely on fuel to keep them cool,,,,so if you ran your car low on gas before you made a pit stop, it could have compounded the problem as well. I never let my tank go below 1/4 tank just for this reason. Cheers.
    Last edited by 98z28duval; 09-28-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Thread Information