Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Car overheating, need help!

I was driving around today, and on my way home I looked down and noticed the temp gauge was at 210(I have a 98 so temp gauge actually works). I instantly turned on the Max A/C and it cooled down to about 185-190 in like 20 seconds. I did an oil change yesterday, but the car has been running fine til now and I dont think that would have caused anything to go wrong.

The car has also been throwing a code... don't know the number, but it says "Cooling Fan Switch 2 is bad" Is this the primary fan or what? I will have it checked for codes again today and will post back.

Also, where are the 2 fan switch's located?

Thanks
    -Scott

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Were you driving when it started to heat up..or at idle? If it was at idle your low speed fans might not be coming on...swap the high speed and low speed relays and see if they kick on(driver side in engine bay). 210 isn't hot at all for a ls1...or any motor really. For fuel efficency a motor should run around 215...but obviously for motor health a little cooler is better.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 01-13-2006 at 12:13 PM.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

the ac on high will raise your temp. you need to put the heater on high, on the floor that will cool it down. my car did that from fla to cleveland ohio but car was running for 27 hours. straight, and 85 plus degrees all the way. thanks jeremy

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11
    the ac on high will raise your temp. you need to put the heater on high, on the floor that will cool it down. my car did that from fla to cleveland ohio but car was running for 27 hours. straight, and 85 plus degrees all the way. thanks jeremy
    +1

during the summer w/out t-tops i'll turn the heater on low and let it exume threw teh defroster.

ok, i didn't help this thread at all...hope it turns out Ok.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Almost... If you put your A/C on MAX, listen carefully... The secondary fan turns on to compensate for the added load on the engine.

On that not, I dont kno wat was wrong with the car, but it seems to be running fine now, always at about 180 or so never going above 185. And yes the car was at idle when htis happened, but since the car never goes above 185 it scared the shit outta me to see the needle halfway up the gauge lol.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

my 02 z-28 gets that hot all the time (210),when standing still and idling and the outside air temp is up.Shortly afterwards the fans will kick on and drop it down some from there. Still it sounds like your fans are not working correctly as they should kick on at that temp. Update-just went for a little tip and had on my OBD2 monitor, with the on dash temp gauge reading the red needle just touching the white hash mark for 210-the computer is registering 197.This is with a outside air temp of 46 the engine maintained this temp at idle.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 01-18-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Thread Information