Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Car Not Starting All The Time...

Ok, so here's my problem...My T/A won't start, it's turning over, but it's not starting (as if it's not getting fuel). But that's where my dilema comes in, I don't hear the fuel pump whineing (typical indication that it's going out), when I finally do get it started it runs perfectly. I get it started by leaving the ignition on, but not cranking it. Another thing I noticed is that the car is shaking violently when it's cranking, which leads me to think it's the starter, but I don't know.

This doesn't happen all the time, it's not tempertaure related (it was almost 60 outside today) and it's always dry when i drive my car (so it's not the moisture).

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, I have another car to drive, but the ladies don't go for the Mazda 3 as much as they do the WS6

pewter
    2002 Trans Am

This happened to me in my camaro. i spent like 450 replacing everything and trying to find out wtf it was and in the end it was my key. it was screwed up and had a chip in it or some crap like that

black
    2002 WS6

if it was the key, i don'y think it even turn over. Could be fuel deviry issue, cheapest thing to change would be the fuel filter. From there the next suspect would be the pump, but right now that seems unlikely.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check fuel pressure at the rail the next time it does it.......should be ~58psi. You could also try turning the key to the on position ( but not cranking the car) and back off again 2-3 times and see if that helps. Not having a pump whine doesn't mean the pump or regulator isn't on the way out. How many miles on your fuel filter? If you do discover the pressure is low or turning the key to run and off a couple of times helps I would first change the filter before doing the pump.

Thread Information