Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

car died on the interstate

This is a discussion on car died on the interstate within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ha well my tank is full, filled up rite after I picked my kids up, but its still an option ...

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Ha well my tank is full, filled up rite after I picked my kids up, but its still an option to drop it......ill get under it and see what it looks like, and if its a pain in the ass, then ill just cut the hole....ill keep yall updated. Gonna tackle this project either Friday or Saturday....just hope it doesnt take long...
    SLP LT's, ORY, Flowmaster Catback, MTI Clear Lid, TB bypass, LS6 Intake,PP TB, Ram Air Mod, Tune, 3:73's, Deleted Cats, Deleted EGR/AIR

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Installed my new pump Friday, via cutting the access panel out. Took only and hour or so, and the car fired rite up, even herd the pump prime the lines. Thanks yall.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Congrats. Any pics of the project?

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

No pics, I didn't even cut the whole panel out, I will cut the rest of it when I get paid this week and replace it with some sheet metal, screws and some rubber stripping. Ill post pics of that. But the pump install was very easy to be honest. I thought it was gonna be a headache.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Nice job congrats!

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks jay. Your fuel pump is in a different area than mine rite????

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    not sure about yours and mine but I saw pics before I did my trap door were some pumps were in the center and others are off to the right more.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    Yes, 99< have a plastic tanks were as the 98's have a steel tank. Having just installed my Racetronix FP today I can say I see the pros and cons on trap door vs dropping the tank.

MAKE SURE YOU ORDER the correct year. The kits differ between the 98 vs 99<.

Trap door pros - no dropping the rear, can save time. Cons - limited space to disconnect wire harness & fuel lines. (You'll need it if you get the wire harness kit form Racetronixs)

Dropping the tank: pros - complete access to everything (need it if you get the wire harness kit form Racetronixs). Can check tank for debris (important to have a clean tank). Cons - you have to remove the rear axle and muffler to get access. Time consuming.

Either way you pick, putting the assembly back into the tank is a PITA. The float and filter want to get caught on the baffles making it a test of patience to get it to seat right. At least it was for the 98 kit.

I recommend dropping vs the trap door.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yes, 99< have a plastic tanks were as the 98's have a steel tank. Having just installed my Racetronix FP today I can say I see the pros and cons on trap door vs dropping the tank.

MAKE SURE YOU ORDER the correct year. The kits differ between the 98 vs 99<.

Trap door pros - no dropping the rear, can save time. Cons - limited space to disconnect wire harness & fuel lines. (You'll need it if you get the wire harness kit form Racetronixs)

Dropping the tank: pros - complete access to everything (need it if you get the wire harness kit form Racetronixs). Can check tank for debris (important to have a clean tank). Cons - you have to remove the rear axle and muffler to get access. Time consuming.

Either way you pick, putting the assembly back into the tank is a PITA. The float and filter want to get caught on the baffles making it a test of patience to get it to seat right. At least it was for the 98 kit.

I recommend dropping vs the trap door.
    I had my issues as well putting the pump back in the tank. I used a wire hanger to guide the end inside the tank and it went right in. I tried dropping my tank and it will not clear the neck of the fuel tank. I wasted hours and it will not budge. I actually bend the float wire a few millimeters and now a full tank is just under the "F" mark. No biggie for me I have a bigger reserve now. I finally decided to do the trap door.

Navy Blue Metallic

I didn't think of a coat hanger. I also broke my cap

Jay did you remove the plastic thing that is around the fill neck at the cap? If you didn't it won't budge. Ask me how I know

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I got my tank out without dropping the rear. Just removing the exhaust, panhard bar and upper brace gave me plenty of room to slip it out

Navy Blue Metallic

my rear was already dropped for another project.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    I got my tank out without dropping the rear. Just removing the exhaust, panhard bar and upper brace gave me plenty of room to slip it out
    Only extra thing I did was remove the shocks so the rear would droop a bit.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I didn't think of a coat hanger. I also broke my cap

Jay did you remove the plastic thing that is around the fill neck at the cap? If you didn't it won't budge. Ask me how I know
    yes is did remove that piece and no luck. I mean I looked around and tried twisting it in every way I could think. The rear end was all the way down there was plenty of room between the rear end and the gas tank. I don't know if the mess around with the tank in the past and bend the neck. The only way I can see dropping the tank was cut the neck opening more to making bigger. I searched online and found a few people that had to do that to get the tank out.

Oh well it don't matter anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information