nws Car broken down! Stranded...

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GTP, I tried going to the clubgp.com forums but this is all my phone could access.

I am moving to Texas and about 800 miles into the trip, my car started to sputter on the highway. A few minutes later my ability to accellerate was greatly diminished so I pulled to a gas station. My car then 'died' and would not start up.

So I had my car towed to a dealer and he said it was the fuel pump... I asked about the relay but he said that was OK since he tested for power at the pump. Total cost is $950 and he cannot get one until Monday so now I am at a hotel for 2 days. Not the best first impression for a new job.

My question is that he mentioned that my fuel filter may have been clogged... I had a tuneup at 105k (at a Goodwrench dealer so warranty for 12k miles) and I am at 112k now... So the fuel filter should have been changed. If that was the problem would I get a warranty claim?

Also I noticed some sand/dirt near my gas door. Just trying to think what may have caused this.. if someone had put sand in my tank would that cause this problem? But wouldn't it have occurred before 800 miles into my trip and a few tankfuls? would my car insurance cover it if that was the cause?

Also, if it was a fuel filter issue would the resistor have blown first to save the pump? It might just have died due to age but I am trying to figure out possibilities since I am sitting here stuck and frustrated. Thanks for any help.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Fuel pumps going out on your car is more common than you think. If someone would have put sand in your tank, the strainer in the tank would not have allowed it through the pump, then to the filter. Sand buildup in the door can happen also, it happens on mine sometimes.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

the sand could be caused from your last fill up dribbling down the side... sand tends to be attracted to this area... happens to me all the time. sounds like a pump to me...

BTW... Why is this NWS! ???

red
    2001 formula

I would also go with the pump. If someone did put sand or something in your tank it probably destroyed the pump. The fuel filter is downstream from the pump. Good luck. Not a good welcome into the Lone Star state

98 Formula
    06 duramax

either way ask for the fuel filter and cut it open. If it's full of crap take it to the dealership and raise cain.
    I would say the fuel pump just probably died on it's own accord, I mean it does have 112k miles on it. That's like when a 90 year old man dies you rarely hear someone say " It just wasn't his time yet."

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

OMG that is a lot for a fuel pump replacement. my buddy replaced his fuel pump on his grand prix GTP for about 600 2 months ago.

if you still had your car you could try and see if it runs. when i had them die on me, after sitting for about 20 minutes, the car would run again, but the pump would only keep pumping for about 5 minutes and kill the motor again. in any case, good luck.

living in the north east, sand and dirt behind the fuel door and around the gas cap is common. but i dont think a clogged fuel filter would kill a pump. my guess is a clogged filter would just cause the car to stutter at higher RPMs.

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

if i was u id take a bus, leave ur car behind getting fixed .so u wont leave a bad impression in ur new job,and them just go get a new camaro.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

surely he can wait a year for a new car!!!

but seriously...
    ne updates on this??

The dealer fixed the fuel pump... I talked to him about a price break (even though I wasn't in a position to bargain)... and he knocked $250 off which was very nice.. so $700 plus tax. He said the filter had a little rust but didn't seem clogged so he left it. My car has been running fine since Tuesday so it was probably just due to the old punp.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

well that was a bit pricey, but at least your car is fixed...

Thread Information