Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

orange
    99 z28

can't turn engine!?

well i tried to start her this morning and all i got was a loud click from the starter it sounded like. pulled the starter relay and no click.i tried cleaning the batt. contacts, jumping it with a 50 amp boost and charging it with 10 amps for an hour or so. still just the click - i also tried beating the starter with a hammer to no avail.

any suggestions on what it could be? injectors come on, security light goes off like normal it just won't turn. i'm really worried, i start a new job monday so this is baaad timing. please and thank you for any help!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28 View Post
    well i tried to start her this morning and all i got was a loud click from the starter it sounded like. pulled the starter relay and no click.i tried cleaning the batt. contacts, jumping it with a 50 amp boost and charging it with 10 amps for an hour or so. still just the click - i also tried beating the starter with a hammer to no avail.

any suggestions on what it could be? injectors come on, security light goes off like normal it just won't turn. i'm really worried, i start a new job monday so this is baaad timing. please and thank you for any help!

unplug the battery and clean off the corrosion from the terminals...

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

sounds like bad connection to starter or maybe just bad starter

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    sounds like bad connection to starter or maybe just bad starter
    start with what i said first... easiest shit to the hardest... i myself do the opposite...

orange
    99 z28

i cleaned the terminals, sanded em a bit and wiped em down (trust me thats the first thing i checked). i'm hopin its just a bad starter, anyone know if autozone tests em free? also it looked like just 2 bolts holding the starter in?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i cleaned the terminals, sanded em a bit and wiped em down (trust me thats the first thing i checked). i'm hopin its just a bad starter, anyone know if autozone tests em free? also it looked like just 2 bolts holding the starter in?
    taking starters out pissed me off... last one i dropped on my head... (i forgot they are heavy...)

when was the last time you replaced you battery???

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    taking starters out pissed me off... last one i dropped on my head... (i forgot they are heavy...)

I think autozone tests for free not sure though yeap just two bolts and battery cable and a smaller wire

orange
    99 z28

its 2 years old i think, maybe 3. but its holdin power just fine, the dash guage is readin good and the charger i use says its over halfway past the acceptable charge mark.

can i just use a multimeter to test the starter leads and see if its gettin enough juice?

can i just use a multimeter to test the starter leads and see if its gettin enough juice?
    yeah id try it

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

its 2 years old i think, maybe 3. but its holdin power just fine, the dash guage is readin good and the charger i use says its over halfway past the acceptable charge mark.

orange
    99 z28

sweet, i'm gonna give that a shot, and see if i can get autozone to test the starter too. thanks guys, i'll post when i get back

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

sweet, i'm gonna give that a shot, and see if i can get autozone to test the starter too. thanks guys, i'll post when i get back
    give them a call before you run all the way there...

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

if you have an M6 Pop the clutch to see if youll get her going, it sounds like a bad starter solenoid. try putting battery current to the solenoid negative side(or the side that comes from the ignition cable) or take it to autozone to get it check, you might want to consider buying a manual switch. makes everything easier.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

well if you say that its clicking then the problem would lie on the solenoid and the starter gets direct Voltage from the battery, the smaller wire comes from the ignition, so the way it works is that when you flip your switch to start that is actually creating a ground on the solenoid, so that causes the starter motor to engage., but when it click, the click is actually the current that draws through there.

try taking it to autozone theyll test it for free.

orange
    99 z28

ok, not so good.. the starter is good so i'm back to square one. whats the solenoid? if thats attached to the starter they tested that too. i didn't find my multi-meter until after dark but will check the starter leads 2morrow. anyone know how much/what to measure?

is it possible my clutch broke and is locking it up? it's been on its way out for a while, ran fine the night before though...

so you're saying the positive lead to the starter is always hot when the ignitions on and the negative wire has the switch? seems dangerous (more to the tinkerer than anything else lol)

orange
    99 z28

the manual switch sounds good if thats my problem, you have a how to link?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

My battery took a shit on me even though it was reading fine on the guage...??? Take a DVM and put on the ohm setting and test the voltage across the poles. It should be something like 12.xx cold and like 14.xx hot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My battery was actually reading in the 8 range hot, so I replaced it, and no problems with the charging system since.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

the manual switch sounds good if thats my problem, you have a how to link?
    Not for the TA, but just do this first.. if your car is M6 save yourself the stress and get somebody to push you (or if you are parked up a hil) then pop the clutch, shift t0 3rd allow for some momentum then start pupming the pedal, you might want to get afeel for it tho, i time mine i let it out slowly and i usually get it right the first time.

now if you are in an A4 then you cant pop anything however leave your ignition system on, get some jumper wires connect them to your battery or any other 12v DC source and connect them to the starter switch's leads connect the red with the bigger terminal which you can also double check that its the wire comming from the battery then take the the negative side and stick it on a good ground, that should get the starting motor to engage, carefull though because as soon as the engine starts you have to take the away the ground so you wont damage the starter, if that doesnt work then your starter is bad.
    Last edited by SVG210; 03-14-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

ok, not so good.. the starter is good so i'm back to square one. whats the solenoid? if thats attached to the starter they tested that too. i didn't find my multi-meter until after dark but will check the starter leads 2morrow. anyone know how much/what to measure?

is it possible my clutch broke and is locking it up? it's been on its way out for a while, ran fine the night before though...

so you're saying the positive lead to the starter is always hot when the ignitions on and the negative wire has the switch? seems dangerous (more to the tinkerer than anything else lol)

okay with that info then its probably a bad solenoid, but let me do some research on the F-Bodys, because i am most familar with the starting systems on Diesels but its similar,

you see you first start in ignition, then the Main Relay then the starter relay or Solenoid (which gets small voltage when you flip the switch then in return sends alot of current to the starter. then you have the starter solenoid/switch (mounted on the starter motor). let me get back at you.

orange
    99 z28

its actually parked in my driveway so no need to move it until its fixed (unless you're saying to rule out certain possibilities?) but it is an m6, just never tried roll-startin it before. can't be too good for the rearend... that and i gotta bolt the starter back on in the morning...

thanks harraquio, any info is much appreciated!

oh yeah, so i can jump the battery straight to the starter to check the solenoid?

Thread Information