9.62/140

Can't refuel any quicker than a dribble

I put this in the truck section too:

04 Silverado 1500, 5.3L I can't even use the lowest auto shutoff setting at the gas pumps with out it tripping like the truck is full. I have to hold the lever just a little on to refuel the damn thing, takes 10 minutes to put in 20 gal. There's no obvious kinks in the filler neck or the vent lines, problem has sort of developed in the last couple of months. At 1st I thought its was something with the particular gas pump I was at since the issue was intermittent, has gradually gotten worse & now it's all the time. I ran an electricians''s tape down the filler didn't seem to be anything blocking. Any help is appreciated.

Mark

black
    02 ws6, samurai on 40's

drop the tank, or take off the filler hose and inspect. that what i would do..
    02 ws6,m6,umi sfc, bbk lt's,y pipe,stainless borla straight pipew/dynomax bullet,160 stat,4.10's,umi adj trq arm,k&n,sportlines,kyb agx's,98mm clear lid,all free mods,d-scrnd mass,fernco,e3 plugs,short stick,tunedbyfrost,no hood baffles,hood to air box w/adh. foam,needs a cam

Smokem if you got em B4C Camaro's Avatar

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark98SS View Post
    I put this in the truck section too:

04 Silverado 1500, 5.3L I can't even use the lowest auto shutoff setting at the gas pumps with out it tripping like the truck is full. I have to hold the lever just a little on to refuel the damn thing, takes 10 minutes to put in 20 gal. There's no obvious kinks in the filler neck or the vent lines, problem has sort of developed in the last couple of months. At 1st I thought its was something with the particular gas pump I was at since the issue was intermittent, has gradually gotten worse & now it's all the time. I ran an electricians''s tape down the filler didn't seem to be anything blocking. Any help is appreciated.

Mark
    I believe there is a vent tube that allows air to escape the tank as you put fuel in..it should run next to the filler hose...that maybe clogged up or collasped. Not sure but just a place to start

Black on Black on Black
    2002 Camaro SS Vert

Mark, sounds like a tank venting/emissions issue. Had the same thing with my suburban a while back. Starting to do the same thing again.... Anyway take a look at this detail below for the fix. Should resolve the issue. Bit of a long read but complete.

Slow, Difficult Fuel Fill, Short Fill, Fuel Gauge Inaccurate Slow, Difficult Fuel Fill, Short Fill, Fuel Gauge Inaccurate (Replace Fuel Tank Vent)
    Cause
    Inadequate venting of the fuel tank may cause the nozzles to shut off prematurely.

Correction

Turn the key to the RUN position. Does the fuel gauge display a fuel level greater than 3/4 full? If YES, go to Step 2. If NO, go to step 3.

Connect a Tech 2® to the vehicle ALDL connector. Observe the Fuel Level Rear on Data Stream 1. If the fuel level voltage display is less than 2.25 volts, proceed with step 3. If not, run/drive the vehicle engine until the Fuel Level Rear voltage display drops to approximately 2.25 volts. This would be something less than a completely full rear fuel tank.

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Loosen the fuel filler cap in order to relieve the fuel tank vapor pressure.

Raise the vehicle.

Clean all the fuel pipe and hose connections and the surrounding areas before disconnecting in order to avoid possible contamination of the fuel system.

View Full Image

Loosen the fuel fill hose clamp (10) at the fuel fill pipe.

Disconnect the fuel fill hose and the hose clamps (10) from the fuel fill pipe.

Loosen the fuel vapor hose clamp (9) at the fill pipe.

Disconnect the fuel vapor hose and hose clamp (9) from the fuel fill pipe.

Disconnect the rear axle vent hose retainer from the fuel fill pipe bracket.

Remove the fuel filler neck to body ground strap bolt from the frame.

Lower the vehicle enough to gain access to the fuel filler door area.

Remove the fuel filler cap from the fuel fill tube.

Remove the three 7 mm (0.28 in) screws that retain the fuel filler neck to the retaining pocket in the body panel.

Remove the filler neck from the vehicle.

Replace the fuel tank filler pipe assembly with P/N 15181810.

Reinstall the fuel filler neck to the vehicle and secure with the 7 mm (0.28 in) screws.
    Reinstall the fuel cap to the filler neck.

Reinstall the fuel filler neck ground strap to the frame bolt.

Reinstall the rear axle vent tube retainer into its original location.

Reinstall the fuel and vapor hoses to the fuel filler neck.
    Reconnect the negative battery cable.
    Retest the vehicle. If there is still a difficult to fill condition, continue with the following procedure.

To perform this repair, you will need the following locally obtained items.

152 mm (6 in) long, 3.175 mm (1/8 inch) drill bit.
    609 mm (24 in) long piece of fuel hose, 9/32 or smaller, marked at 457.2 mm (18 in) and 482.6 mm (19 in) locations (Test hose)

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Loosen the fuel filler cap in order to relieve the fuel tank vapor pressure.

Raise the vehicle.

Clean all the fuel pipe and hose connections and the surrounding areas before disconnecting in order to avoid possible contamination of the fuel system.

View Full Image

Loosen the fuel fill hose clamp (10) at the fuel fill pipe.

Disconnect the fuel fill hose and the hose clamps (10) from the fuel fill pipe.

Loosen the fuel vapor hose clamp (9) at the fill pipe.

Disconnect the fuel vapor hose and hose clamp (9) from the fuel fill pipe.

Disconnect the rear axle vent hose retainer from the fuel fill pipe bracket.

Remove the fuel filler neck to body ground strap bolt from the frame.

Lower the vehicle enough to gain access to the fuel filler door area.

Remove the fuel filler cap from the fuel fill tube.

Remove the three 7 mm (0.28 in) screws that retain the fuel filler neck to the retaining pocket in the body panel.

Remove the filler neck from the vehicle.

Place the tab on the filler neck, where the rear axle vent tube was fastened, firmly in the jaws of a vise.

Insert your finger into the filler neck opening. About 6.35 mm (0.25 in) below the spring door is a hump/bump, which extends all the way around the interior diameter of the fuel filler neck.

View Full Image

Referencing the above art and using a punch, place four evenly spaced punch marks (drill pilots) on the ridge under the fuel filler neck flap.

With the 152 mm (6 in) long, 3.175 mm (0.125 in) (1/8 in) drill bit, carefully drill four holes. These holes must not go through the outside of the fuel filler neck. As soon as you feel the drill break through the first level of metal, stop drilling.

After all four holes have been drilled, feel into the opening for burrs from the drilling process. If burrs are felt, remove them with a suitable tool.

Using compressed air, blow out all metal chips from the drilling process.

Reinstall the fuel filler neck to the vehicle and secure with the 7 mm (0.28 in) screws.
    Reinstall the fuel cap to the filler neck.

Raise the vehicle.

Insert the test hose, long end first, into the fuel filler hose to within 50 mm (2 in) of the 1st marked location. Slowly and carefully continue inserting the test hose into the filler hose. You may feel a resistance where the fuel filler hose joins the "T" on top of the tank. If so, turn the hose while inserting so that the hose slips over the end of the "T". About 12 mm (0.47 in) into the "T" is a valve (anti-splash back valve). Continue to insert the test hose until you have reached the 2nd mark on the hose. If the test hose will not slide past the valve to the 2nd location, the rear auxiliary fuel tank must be replaced. Remove the test hose and continue with the next step.

Reinstall the fuel filler neck ground strap to the frame bolt.

Reinstall the rear axle vent tube retainer into its original location.

Reinstall the fuel and vapor hoses to the fuel filler neck.
    Reconnect the negative battery cable.
    Last edited by erikzola; 01-02-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
    Erik

2002 Camaro SS LS1 / 1 of 147
    2004 Suburban 2500 HD 8.1L

Thread Information