blue
    01 camaro ss

cannot get rid of air lock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys , i have recently joined and would like to thank spawn ta for his posts concerning his coolant overflow problem . my car was doing exact same thing and my tb bypass hose was hooked into the overflow line ... so now it is not doing that anymore but it is still air locked it seems , i cannot let the car idle with the rad cap off because it will overflow and sputter no matter how many times i try to let the air blow out of it . but i have filled it back up and capped it and have been running it . it NEVER heats , the gauge is perfect and car is running perfect . but i cannot figure out why i cannot get it up to running temp . and leave it running with out the cap off , all other vehicles i have owned have been able to do so. i can take the cap off after a drive and the car shut off and it doesn't bubble over .
    the guy i bought the from is waiting for my decision to keep the car or not and i definitely want to keep it . it is a 2001 ss with 37000 miles...i do not think this problem is serious but i have a lot to learn about the LS1 engine . the car idles at 195 - 200 and runs perfect . so any ideas what the problem is ? it seems as though air lock . any ideas greatly appreciated ...thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

maybe your thermostat is stuck open and ot letting it get warm, have you looked into that?

also welcome to the board

blue
    01 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    maybe your thermostat is stuck open and ot letting it get warm, have you looked into that?

also welcome to the board
    thanks man ... car is working at operating temperature and thermostat is opening properly .

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Ok, well I had severe trouble reading your post, but this is what I gathered:
    If you leave the rad cap OFF while the car is running, the coolant will overflow, but if the car is off(at the same temp) it stops coming out. Am I right?

My opinion... That sounds normal. I don't get what the big deal is... is there an actual problem with driving the car with the cap on?

blue
    01 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    If you leave the rad cap OFF while the car is running, the coolant will overflow, but if the car is off(at the same temp) it stops coming out. Am I right?

My opinion... That sounds normal. I don't get what the big deal is... is there an actual problem with driving the car with the cap on?
    well i had major problems until i switched the two hoses ... and i was just trying to get the air out of the system . when i say it overflows with the cap off , it really pumps it out , enough to spray the engine bay... maybe this is normal . all my other vehicles you could let them run at operating temp and they would not do this . it is running perfect though so maybe i should not worry....

blue
    01 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post

sometimes i pop the cap off when it is not running and it will overflow ... sometimes i pop the cap off and it does not ... same temp .

blue
    01 camaro ss

got final air lock out ...car is running fine now ... thanks to anyone who posted .

Thread Information