Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Can you hear an engine misfire through the air filter?

This is a discussion on Can you hear an engine misfire through the air filter? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Thanks!...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks!

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

You have rust on the spark plug? I know those engines are famous for having coolant leaks from the intake manifold. It usually starts on the passenger side rear spark plug. It will cause a misfire due to the plug getting submersed under water. There is no way you should have water on the plug.
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I don't see any water inthem when I pulled them out. I do see left over rust stuff in the coil boots and some rust damage in the hole were the plugs reside but no water the two times I had pulled the plugs.

I do notice some of the boots have some water condensation on them. When I wipe it off it doesn't smell like coolant, just water.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Two words: Dielectric Grease.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Two words: Dielectric Grease.
    I did put some on it this time. I always do.

I will just wait longer and see if it gets worse. Hopefully I will get a ses light like when I had the real bad misfire. I don't feel like paying lots of money to ford for them to tell me everything is fine.
    1998 TA 130k A4, LS6 intake, TunedByFrost, Airlid, AIR and EGR delete, Borla exhaust, front Eibach lowering springs, LS6 valley cover, UMI TQ arm, UMI LCA's, UMI panhard bar, Poly engine mounts, BMR relocation brackets, Blistein HD shocks and struts, Oil catch can, Autotrix window fix.

Now I have an 2001 F150 5.4L

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a plan. Curious as to what the issue actually is so I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

update. I got a cheap set of brand new coils from amazon. They had great reviews. I paid $54 shipped for 8 coils. I figured this will be an inexpensive way to test the coils vs going to ford. my original coil boots were garbage compared to the new ones. I put the coils on and I did noticed an increase in power and acceleration. The idle seems to be way better. I'm still testing them since I haven't drove for a long time but it seems to me the coils needed replacement anyway.

I didn't noticed the slight vibration hesitation I was feeling under acceleration. As soon as one of the knock off coils goes bad I'm getting a full set of motorcrafts or visteons. I still hear the weird noise on my exhaust under acceleration but I'm starting to think it might exhaust related. I haven't heard the air filter noise yet.

I also replaced all my shocks with brand new gabriel ultras from rock auto for $125 shipped and $25 bucks rebate. Night and day difference driving down the road. The original shocks were factory. I pressed all of them down and they never came back up. They were all shot.

I'm going to do the injectors and upstream O2 sensors next.
    pajeff02 likes this.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Well I put the coils on and the idle of the truck actually got worse. The hesitation under acceleration was back. I checked everything but it was the same. I ended up pulling them out and installing the old ones back. The idle was way better. I'm returning them back. I guess the coils are either defective or poor quality.

I'm doing the plugs again tomorrow. I don't have a problem buying all new motorcrafts coils but I will hate doing it and not fixing the issue. I want to check the cats tomorrow with a laser thermometer. After that I'm pretty much going to Ford. I'm trying to save some money but is kinda of hard without codes and not having a good scanner with live data.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

F-O-R-D ... I guess that "Found in Jay's Driveway Dead" doesn't quite fit.

Seriously, I hope you get this figured out.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Im sure I will I just got to get a good diagnostics. There is always the trade in section at a dealership.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I think Amazon has a set of 8 ACCEL coil packs for your ride. I replaced a set of coils on a friend of mine truck a year ago, and he couldn't be happier.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    I think Amazon has a set of 8 ACCEL coil packs for your ride. I replaced a set of coils on a friend of mine truck a year ago, and he couldn't be happier.
    As far as ford the only coils that are within factory specs are motorcrafts and visteons. There is too many issues with other brands. I was looking at those myself but after ordering a set of aftermarkets and actually getting worse results I want to stick with motorcrafts in coils and plugs. Thanks.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

So i did some testing. I hooked up my vacuum gauge and I have steady 20in of vac, that's fine then. I disconnected the vac hose from the egr and no change in idle which is normal. I also put a small hose and suck in it to create a vacuum the truck almost shuts off so that's also normal.

I used an infrared thermometer and go the following readings at idle right after a 45 min drive. The readings were pretty consistent after 5 mins at idle:

passenger before cats - 473 F
    passenger after cats - 453 F
    driver side before cats - 440 F
    driver side after cats - 428 F

Does these temps looks like the cats maybe clogged?

I'm going to change the plugs later today again with brand new ones.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 09-29-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

oh by way i believe the sound in the intake air filter is a misfire. I started to hear it again when I started to unplug the coils trying to hear a change in idle.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Those temps look normal to me.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

By chance, did you check your power supply and ground circuits to the coils to ensure that they are receiving full voltage and that there is no impedance in the ground circuit?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

By chance, did you check your power supply and ground circuits to the coils to ensure that they are receiving full voltage and that there is no impedance in the ground circuit?
    no i haven't. you mean check each plug for voltage and signal?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check each coil to ensure that they have full power at the harness connection and a good resistance free ground (if applicable). Just a thought, but go find a nice dark place, leave the engine running and pop the hood and take a close look at everything. You'll know in a hurry if you have any voltage leaks at the coils, wires or plugs.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Check each coil to ensure that they have full power at the harness connection and a good resistance free ground (if applicable). Just a thought, but go find a nice dark place, leave the engine running and pop the hood and take a close look at everything. You'll know in a hurry if you have any voltage leaks at the coils, wires or plugs.
    Thanks. I guess I can check the harness. I just checked the engine bay in the dark and I can't see anything. I either buy the coils and install them with a another brand new set of spark plugs or I go to ford. I have a vacation trip this weekend so I will see what I do next week. At the end of the day at least i can drive my truck.

I was kinda disappointed when the cheap coils set made things actually worst. Well you get what you paid for. At least I was able to return them. At least the ford forum thinks is not the cats clogged based on the temps i posted. same as you guys. I'm waiting for my fuel gauge adapter to recheck the fuel pressure, last time is checked it at idle is was 30 psi which is normal but there is another test according to haynes book.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 09-30-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

found a set of brand new motorcraft coils for $248 shipped. They should get here this week. I will update once I install new coils and plugs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information