Results 1 to 8 of 8

Can a small oil leak f-up your Cat?

This is a discussion on Can a small oil leak f-up your Cat? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So I took the Bird in today to see if it needs a new power steering pump (or just a ...

  1. #1
    Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    304

    Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

    Question Can a small oil leak f-up your Cat?

    So I took the Bird in today to see if it needs a new power steering pump (or just a fluid change) and dude says the cats stopped up. WTF?? The cat is only 8 month old and was put on by the dealership. Then dude says that there's a small oil leak next to the engine (I already know-- it doesn't leak much --dealership wanted $900.00+ to fix) and that could be what stopped the cats up? Does this sound plausible or is this guy an idiot?

  2. #2
    Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bragg NC
    Posts
    2,835

    Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

    Umm where exactly is it leaking? How small is small? Unless its pouring into the Cat or cat's i would find a new mechanic... Anything is possible but highly unlikely..
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

  3. #3
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    If the car is burning oil it could clog the cats.

  4. #4
    Custom Painter/Tech Customta98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Plainwell, Mi
    Age
    32
    Posts
    230

    Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

    Yeah that guy sounds a littel shady to me he is just trying to get money out of ya and like C5Z28 said if it is burning oil then maybe but i dont see it happening that fast.

  5. #5
    Millennium Falcon mpfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    689

    Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

    is it normal for the ls1 to burn up oil at all? ive heard from some that its completely normal, and from others its not. i dont leak a drop of oil, but do burn up about 1/2-3/4 quart every 3k miles. after my intake install i did throw a cat code, but cleared it and it never came back, figured the car was just relearning the new info. car runs great, only has 22K miles and always run ac delco filter and mobil 1.

  6. #6
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    is it normal for the ls1 to burn up oil at all? ive heard from some that its completely normal, and from others its not. i dont leak a drop of oil, but do burn up about 1/2-3/4 quart every 3k miles. after my intake install i did throw a cat code, but cleared it and it never came back, figured the car was just relearning the new info. car runs great, only has 22K miles and always run ac delco filter and mobil 1.
    Stock LS1 PCV systems are not very good, which is what causes the oil burning.

    Upgrade to the LS6 style PCV system, install a catch can between the valley cover and the intake manifold, and your oil burning problems should be gone.

  7. #7
    Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    304

    Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Stock LS1 PCV systems are not very good, which is what causes the oil burning.

    Upgrade to the LS6 style PCV system, install a catch can between the valley cover and the intake manifold, and your oil burning problems should be gone.
    Thanks! This whole cat problem is getting old fast.

  8. #8
    Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    304

    Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Umm where exactly is it leaking? How small is small? Unless its pouring into the Cat or cat's i would find a new mechanic... Anything is possible but highly unlikely..

    It's leaking at the "main seal"? Right on the motor apparently, to fix they would yank the whole motor out just to get to the place thats leaking ($900.00 of course..1,200 at dealership). It's not pouring or anything, I mean it goes through about 3/4 a quart every 3,000 miles or so. I keep the oil checked and changed. I just can't figure why the cats are stopping up. Both were replaced.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. "Small Evap Leak"
    By Guerrillakilla13 in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM
  2. Small Leak ???
    By robcas47 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM
  3. Small Leak(s) from my 9"
    By ls1camino in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
  4. ttop leak, hatch leak, and window motor problems
    By ATCharming in forum General Help
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 03:30 AM
  5. Might get a small dog
    By third_shift|studios in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 03:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •