Can a small oil leak f-up your Cat?

This is a discussion on Can a small oil leak f-up your Cat? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So I took the Bird in today to see if it needs a new power steering pump (or just a ...

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Question Can a small oil leak f-up your Cat?

So I took the Bird in today to see if it needs a new power steering pump (or just a fluid change) and dude says the cats stopped up. WTF?? The cat is only 8 month old and was put on by the dealership. Then dude says that there's a small oil leak next to the engine (I already know-- it doesn't leak much --dealership wanted $900.00+ to fix) and that could be what stopped the cats up? Does this sound plausible or is this guy an idiot?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Umm where exactly is it leaking? How small is small? Unless its pouring into the Cat or cat's i would find a new mechanic... Anything is possible but highly unlikely..
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If the car is burning oil it could clog the cats.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah that guy sounds a littel shady to me he is just trying to get money out of ya and like C5Z28 said if it is burning oil then maybe but i dont see it happening that fast.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

is it normal for the ls1 to burn up oil at all? ive heard from some that its completely normal, and from others its not. i dont leak a drop of oil, but do burn up about 1/2-3/4 quart every 3k miles. after my intake install i did throw a cat code, but cleared it and it never came back, figured the car was just relearning the new info. car runs great, only has 22K miles and always run ac delco filter and mobil 1.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    is it normal for the ls1 to burn up oil at all? ive heard from some that its completely normal, and from others its not. i dont leak a drop of oil, but do burn up about 1/2-3/4 quart every 3k miles. after my intake install i did throw a cat code, but cleared it and it never came back, figured the car was just relearning the new info. car runs great, only has 22K miles and always run ac delco filter and mobil 1.
    Stock LS1 PCV systems are not very good, which is what causes the oil burning.

Upgrade to the LS6 style PCV system, install a catch can between the valley cover and the intake manifold, and your oil burning problems should be gone.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Stock LS1 PCV systems are not very good, which is what causes the oil burning.

Upgrade to the LS6 style PCV system, install a catch can between the valley cover and the intake manifold, and your oil burning problems should be gone.
    Thanks! This whole cat problem is getting old fast.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Umm where exactly is it leaking? How small is small? Unless its pouring into the Cat or cat's i would find a new mechanic... Anything is possible but highly unlikely..

It's leaking at the "main seal"? Right on the motor apparently, to fix they would yank the whole motor out just to get to the place thats leaking ($900.00 of course..1,200 at dealership). It's not pouring or anything, I mean it goes through about 3/4 a quart every 3,000 miles or so. I keep the oil checked and changed. I just can't figure why the cats are stopping up. Both were replaced.

Thread Information