Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Can I make my ride fast without affecting daily driving

This is a discussion on Can I make my ride fast without affecting daily driving within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Daily driver but...stall bolt on's -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just bought a TA a 2000 with low miles so now selling my ...

  1. #1
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Can I make my ride fast without affecting daily driving

    Daily driver but...stall bolt on's

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I just bought a TA a 2000 with low miles so now selling my 99 with high miles

    My new one is bone stock never raced in storage for the last 3 years so here is my question I love the way it drives but I don't want to kill my daily driver I drive this 6 months out of the year and my suv is basically in storage unless it rains.........

    1. Stall thinking 2800 I just want a little more launch not a track car just trying to break 13 I would be happy at 12.99 :-) I talked to a guy and he said a 3200 going up hill he needed to drop tranny in 3rd manually or kick down on the gas pretty hard I don't want that I understand that stock is 1700rpm and it feels low but shifts well

    2. Long tube headers best bang for the bucks would be ?????? and exhaust from what I hear Flowmaster :-) little joke Magnaflow.

    Lid I have it from my old one and I have a Flowmaster cat back on the old one it was there when I bought it?

    3 cam maybe ?????

    4 lifters ????


    I am not rich I was suppose to buy a supercharger used for 3 grand but it's for a Corvette and just doesn't work for my car that was my whole budget so if anyone would coach me or send me to one of our sponsors that would be amazing Someone that could put a great steet car and 2 or 3 times a year at the track

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    BFE
    Posts
    3
    01 SS

    BBK longtube headers with ORY(370$ off of their site)
    AIR and EGR delete(since the BBK's dont offer either)
    stall(your choice)
    Lid(already got it)
    LS6 Intake

    you would be in the 12's with this if you can drive... At least looooooooooooow 13's

  3. #3
    Senior Member 00z28bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,390

    white
    2000 Z28

    any long tubes that are in good condition and a good price. lots of slightly used for sale if your willing to look. 3400 stall for a stocker without internal engine mods matches up well. perfect for a stock power curve. the stall raises the overall rpms no matter how high the stall is set for. the stall only hits 3400 at wot when tuned properly. otherwise it drives like stock just a little louder. ls6 intake with air and egr dropped as mentioned. but tune will be necessary to drop the ses light and get the stall running properly.

  4. #4
    Electrical Engineer KMdef9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Motorcity
    Posts
    2,611

    Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

    send me to one of our sponsors that would be amazing Someone that could put a great steet car and 2 or 3 times a year at the track
    Ryan at UMI performance and Mark at KYSpeed.

    Keep in mind you want to build a structurally sound vehicle while building a fast vehicle.

  5. #5
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    1- a good stall (not cheap ones) 2800-3200 i would get for a DD use BUT make sure it works well with the cam you get

    2- TSP has 1 7/8 coated longtubes for $499 new...get a Magnaflow catback with ypipe

    3- 228 cam....makes power and VERY well street matters $375

    4- stock lifter are more then fine...when you do the cam get a comp trunnion kit for the rockers....get Hardened pushrods asap

    5- ls6 manifold and P&P your TB $200-300 give or take

    6- 3.73 gears $175

    7- full susp.....SFCs/ LCAs/ PHB and whatnot.....UMI is your friend

    8- tune

    you will have a badass street car that will see more then 12.99 in the 1/4


    THEN

    you are all setup to get a good set of heads when you can IF you want
    Last edited by Blackbird WS6; 11-21-2010 at 11:49 PM.

  6. #6
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    HUM

    Quote Originally Posted by Drockw View Post
    BBK longtube headers with ORY(370$ off of their site)
    AIR and EGR delete(since the BBK's dont offer either)
    stall(your choice)
    Lid(already got it)
    LS6 Intake

    you would be in the 12's with this if you can drive... At least looooooooooooow 13's
    I ran a 13.33 completely stock with a cat back lid and a superchip down load ....

  7. #7
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Cool

    Well the verdict is pretty much the same everywhere so I will go that way and start ordering parts this winter

    Should I just swap the cat back Flowmaster from my old ride to this one to save 5 or 6 bills or am I defeating the cause

  8. #8
    Senior Member 00z28bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,390

    white
    2000 Z28

    whats your current goal? hell stall and tune with good tires will get you 12s all day long. if you feel you need more then set a new goal.

  9. #9
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    I wouldn't go any smaller than 3400 for stall. The manners are great with the newer converters.

  10. #10
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Hey Luos

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I wouldn't go any smaller than 3400 for stall. The manners are great with the newer converters.
    Dam I was just watching your video on you tube freaking great loooved it what do you have done 11.94 in the quarter you must have more than a converter lol If I remember right yours is a stalled car isn't it so an auto?

  11. #11
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Good question

    Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    whats your current goal? hell stall and tune with good tires will get you 12s all day long. if you feel you need more then set a new goal.
    Ok well I would love to do the stall and exhaust for sure right away or after snow at the end of April Should I install 3:73 gears right away or go to 3:42's this one has 2:73's my old one has 3:23's?

    I just bought a 2000 TA with low miles completely stock never raced or abused I have a 99 right now in mint shape with 108000miles my new one has 36000miles so I did the wheel swap and SLP lid swap

    The 99 had a Flowmaster exhaust that I think works good but people say it's not great should I just buy a new system or switch that to????????Would installing a Magnaflow really help that much the Flowmaster is loud as heck compared to my stock one...

    My goal well there's a bunch of Mustangs here I mean all Mustangs we are about 3 or 4 of us with TA's and these guys run 12.5 mostly and they have tons of money in their cars so I would like to give them something to talk about don't want to beat them but at least close but I have a Chrysler Aspen Hemi and would rather drive my TA all day long in the summer I put 300 miles a week when it's out so I want it to be fun not change the drivebility much but hall ass big time major pull but like everyone my budget is limited It will never be a drag car!!!Just 3 to 5 times a year and maybe 10 pases each time at the most.

    Should I switch rear sway bar non WS6 car and sfc to get better traction??? Nitto 555 is what I've been thinking for tires
    Last edited by Durango; 11-22-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added something

  12. #12
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Dam I was just watching your video on you tube freaking great loooved it what do you have done 11.94 in the quarter you must have more than a converter lol If I remember right yours is a stalled car isn't it so an auto?
    It is an M6 car.
    And runs about a second slower than it should because of my altitude.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Z28Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, Ok
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,542

    Arctic White
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I wouldn't go any smaller than 3400 for stall. The manners are great with the newer converters.

    I would not go smaller than 3500.. It does not take much to get in the 12's. With just headers,3500 converter and some ET streets I ran 12.5 with 2.73's. No cam, stock suspension,full weight etc... I would not change the gears out. Save the money down the road to buy a 12 bolt or 9 inch. Any money you spend on the stock 10 bolt is a waste IMO that could be saved for a better rear.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 11-22-2010 at 12:06 PM.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the tool box....
    Posts
    22

    Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

    *Stall (I wouldnt go lower than 3K, I used to daily drive a SS4000)
    *Gears (I have daily driven a car with 3.73s and it was fine, but have had 4.10s)
    *Full Exhuast (You can usually find good deals on used headers, ORY/Catbacks or Tru Dual set ups.)
    *Tune

    ^^^This would get you a solid low 12 second car that would be fun, yet very dependable.

    A good, solid tune will be the deciding factor as to if your car runs the way it should, other than driver mod of course. I would find a REPUTABLE tuner in your area, and maybe even spitball with them about your goals and see what they tell you. Your goals may not need the mods I listed.

  15. #15
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Very cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I would not go smaller than 3500.. It does not take much to get in the 12's. With just headers,3500 converter and some ET streets I ran 12.5 with 2.73's. No cam, stock suspension,full weight etc... I would not change the gears out. Save the money down the road to buy a 12 bolt or 9 inch. Any money you spend on the stock 10 bolt is a waste IMO that could be saved for a better rear.
    I think I'll do just that I was thinking Yank 3200 Headers my cat back to start oh and a tune of course I found a great guy local runs 9.90 with an integra ishhh
    Last edited by Durango; 11-22-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: oups

  16. #16
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Perfect

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKNSS01 View Post
    *Stall (I wouldnt go lower than 3K, I used to daily drive a SS4000)
    *Gears (I have daily driven a car with 3.73s and it was fine, but have had 4.10s)
    *Full Exhuast (You can usually find good deals on used headers, ORY/Catbacks or Tru Dual set ups.)
    *Tune

    ^^^This would get you a solid low 12 second car that would be fun, yet very dependable.

    A good, solid tune will be the deciding factor as to if your car runs the way it should, other than driver mod of course. I would find a REPUTABLE tuner in your area, and maybe even spitball with them about your goals and see what they tell you. Your goals may not need the mods I listed.
    My real goal was 12.5 but didn't want to sound greedy and you guys confirmed that I can do it with bolt ons so I think I'll do the stall cat back tune and Lid free mods oil cooler and then if I add headers it's not a full $500 for a tune only $200 for the fixe so I can live with that unless I can find a great deal on a full exhaust system but being way up in New Brunswick Canada the shipping kills me

    This would get you a solid low 12 second car that would be fun, yet very dependable "this statement hits the nail on the head I have a 6 year old that loves the rumble like me"

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the tool box....
    Posts
    22

    Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    My real goal was 12.5 but didn't want to sound greedy and you guys confirmed that I can do it with bolt ons so I think I'll do the stall cat back tune and Lid free mods oil cooler and then if I add headers it's not a full $500 for a tune only $200 for the fixe so I can live with that unless I can find a great deal on a full exhaust system but being way up in New Brunswick Canada the shipping kills me

    This would get you a solid low 12 second car that would be fun, yet very dependable "this statement hits the nail on the head I have a 6 year old that loves the rumble like me"
    Ye sir... there are even a couple of mostly stock cars that frequent the track here and they are just lid, free mods and tune, they run 12.7Xs-.8Xs all night. The mods I listed are proven to greatly drop ETs but yet keep the car very dependable (depending on maintenance and car of course).

    Seeing as how you are shooting for 12.5xs.. I think you will meet your goal fairly easily with the mods you have planned. Just takes a little practice.

    Good luck!

    Good luck!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    326
    Headers and a cat back can be found for under 500

    You already have a lid

    Since its your DD and doesn't go to the track that often, why not just put on a cat-back that you like the sound of and then add a little NO2

    You could probably get under your 1/4 mile time goal with a small system and a 50 to 100 shot. The systems seem pretty cheap and don't seem as difficult to install as a cam with all the fixins.

    That would let you drive around, sounding good, with pretty much stock (or a hair better) fuel mileage and driveability and then step it up for those rare track days.

    Oh, and maybe add sub frame connectors just for everyday piece of mind. They are there to save you from pot holes, hard cornering, hard launches...not just the spray...and they are pretty cheap.

  19. #19
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Hum didn't think of that

    A NB guy that sounds like a plan I didn't think of I have a Flowmaster cat back already and headers would be a nice add on plus nos and sub frame yeah that could work !!!!I have to call my local shop and see what they think and maybe they ahve an idea but all they talk about is supercharger I don't have 7 grand right of to spend but If I did I would


    Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Headers and a cat back can be found for under 500

    You already have a lid

    Since its your DD and doesn't go to the track that often, why not just put on a cat-back that you like the sound of and then add a little NO2

    You could probably get under your 1/4 mile time goal with a small system and a 50 to 100 shot. The systems seem pretty cheap and don't seem as difficult to install as a cam with all the fixins.

    That would let you drive around, sounding good, with pretty much stock (or a hair better) fuel mileage and driveability and then step it up for those rare track days.

    Oh, and maybe add sub frame connectors just for everyday piece of mind. They are there to save you from pot holes, hard cornering, hard launches...not just the spray...and they are pretty cheap.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    326
    Supercharger is a big money job for them, lots of shop time. From what I am told NO2 is a relatively quick install that you could do a lot of yourself and then some tuning (which your shop probably doesn't offer) So really, they probably wouldn't point it out, because there is next to no $$ in it for them.

    The question is...where to find N02 around here and how much will it cost. But you could probably just ask around and find someone who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. tires for daily driving
    By basballny2 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 06:04 PM
  2. 92 Taurus SHO daily, 5sp, FAST, runs great, $1250
    By ShadowHawk in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 01:41 PM
  3. Z06 Cams and exhaust for Daily driving
    By Joeballz in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
  4. Retired the Z28 for daily driving
    By Zboner in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-21-2006, 09:13 AM
  5. Daily driving m6 shift points?
    By Snake Eater in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 09:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •