Question Can 6oz oil a new AC compressor hydrolock it?

Long story short I replaced my entire ac system with all new, dry parts and ended up putting ~6oz pag 150 in the compressor (until oil started coming out of the discharge port when I was spinning it by hand) and an ounce in each of the other parts (evaporator, accumulator, condensor) to get a total system capacity of 9oz.

After doing some reading everyone says to put 2oz in the compressor. Am I at risk of hydrolocking my compressor when I go to have it vacuumed and charged because I have too much in it? Should I take it off and drain it and put only 2oz in it then put the rest in the other compenents to get back up to 9oz total system capacity?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

To be honest, I know very little about the AC system, so I don't know if you'll hydrolock it.

However, if you've exceeded the recommend amount by 3 fold, I'd drain it and fill up to specs.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

That amount of oil will not hydrolock you compressor but it may effect the cooling level. The compressor will purge what it does not need but that will take up room meant for refrigerant. A/C compressors are usually killed by a lack of refrigerant oil not too much.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

After assembly did you evap the system?

I ask because no matter how well you try to keep moisture out of the system it will still have some in it (the air). Evaping the system removes ALL moisture as well as any residue oil/freon.

You should only use the amount your system calls for. In a vacuum liquids react differently. Oil & freon vaporize while moisture boils causing damage to compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    After assembly did you evap the system?

I ask because no matter how well you try to keep moisture out of the system it will still have some in it (the air). Evaping the system removes ALL moisture as well as any residue oil/freon.

You should only use the amount your system calls for. In a vacuum liquids react differently. Oil & freon vaporize while moisture boils causing damage to compressor.
    Yes I vacuumed it down. I'm taking it to a ac shop to have them vacuum it down better, check for leaks, and charge it.

The total amount of oil in the system is spot on, it's just currently more concentrated in the compressor.

What was your total oil you had in the compressor and was there ever any issue?

Thread Information