Cam and Heads help

This is a discussion on Cam and Heads help within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok, so I have a 1996 z28, not stock, 383 oversized pistons...a few bolt ons. Anyways i have a set ...

Bat Outta Hell

Black
    96 Z28Ttops, 98 Z28 Conv.

Cam and Heads help

Ok, so I have a 1996 z28, not stock, 383 oversized pistons...a few bolt ons. Anyways i have a set of heads with valve springs.

Question 1: I'm not sure if the valve springs are for the cam or the heads???

Question 2: I called a local shop to install them and the guy said the valve springs have to match up with the heads and cam or it wont work..I'm not completely engine illiterate, but is this guy messing with me, i completely do not understand what he's talking about. He said i would have to go to a machine shop to figure out how to pick a cam for my after-market heads...Can anyone help my problem, it is really stressing me out! Need advice, thank you!!
    ~~Vin

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

you need to get a test of the springs to find out the seat pressure. you also have to check to see how much lift they can handle. if you put too much lift to them they will bind and cause damage. if you bring the heads to a machine shop and tell them what cam you are going to use they should be able to tell if the springs can handle it.

Bat Outta Hell

Black

I have my specs on my heads now, im sure you can help more..is anyone familiar with casting numbers #10128374 (aluminum) im not sure if they are stock, but they are ported and polished and are going on my car....10128374 ....68cc reverse flow, 175 intake ports, 68 cc exhaust ports thats all the info i could find guys....i hope you can help on selecting a cam situation, or more info on these heads..thanks

Bat Outta Hell

Black

I was also wonering, if you have 2 sets of the same heads, with one ported and polished...how much hp/tq would the difference be by chance....Thank you
    Last edited by NightRiderZ; 07-14-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Thread Information