c5 vette rims, tire rubbing?

This is a discussion on c5 vette rims, tire rubbing? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I just got some c5 corvette rims put on my car 18'' in the back 17'' in the front. im ...

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

c5 vette rims, tire rubbing?

I just got some c5 corvette rims put on my car 18'' in the back 17'' in the front. im not sure of the exact measurements but they are off a 2001 vette. the front ones (17's) were pretty bald so i changed them and the backs (18's) had the stock f1's on them which are still in pretty good shape so i used them. Now i think the back right (passenger) tire is rubbing whenever i make a hard left turn. I didnt hear it that well because i had my radio on but theres definetely something going on My question is, shouldnt an 18'' rim with a 275 40zr18 tire fit the back. I put my hand between the back part of the tire and the inner fender well of the car and i cant even get my fingers between it? Could my shock or strut be bad and allowing the tire to move/bounce more than it should?

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    I just got some c5 corvette rims put on my car 18'' in the back 17'' in the front. im not sure of the exact measurements but they are off a 2001 vette. the front ones (17's) were pretty bald so i changed them and the backs (18's) had the stock f1's on them which are still in pretty good shape so i used them. Now i think the back right (passenger) tire is rubbing whenever i make a hard left turn. I didnt hear it that well because i had my radio on but theres definetely something going on My question is, shouldnt an 18'' rim with a 275 40zr18 tire fit the back. I put my hand between the back part of the tire and the inner fender well of the car and i cant even get my fingers between it? Could my shock or strut be bad and allowing the tire to move/bounce more than it should?

Click for full sizeClick for full sizeClick for full size

I had the same issue but I had 1.25 spacers. Try rolling the lip on the fender well and see if that helps. All Vettes have rolled wells for that reason. Is the tire hacked up real bad? Should be an easy fix but as far as factory struts go it shouldn't affect the rubbing issue. Another thing you could do is trim the inside of the fender well.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

It seems to be only rubbing on the inner fender well, you can look in there and see a black scuff where the tire rubs, the tires not hacked up at all, it looks like its rubbing the side of the tire not the actual tread, i think? I barrowed a grinder from my uncle and im gonna try to grind down the spot were its rubbing tomorrow. I'll take some pics tomorrow with the tire off and post them.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I am running 18X9.5 rims all the way around with 285X35ZR18 tires with a 52MM offset (stock height vehicle), it is not the rim diameter (17 or 18") or the tires that is the problem. The problem of the rubbing is due to the offset of your rims, especially if they are 56MM like most vette rims.

SteveC

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

BFG mod should do the trick

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    BFH mod should do the trick
    Fixed
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

BFH worked for me too.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you looked at the rear from behind the car to see if the rear is centered? There are some F-Bodies with rears that are off center. This was discussed at Spazapalooza last year. I never knew this. I don't know if you will need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear if it's off center tho.

Thread Information