Thread: A/C went out

Red
    1998 A4 TA

A/C went out

My A/C suddenly pooped out on me. Before I spend a bunch of money I don't have getting it serviced, I thought I'd see if you guys had any tips. Everyone keeps telling me it's probably the freon, but I would think if it was the freon, my A/C would gradually get warmer. It worked in the morning, and didn't later that evening. Is there a good way to tell if it's the freon, compressor, or clutch? It's getting pretty hot here in Texas, so I've gotta get this fixed!

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrad2 View Post
    My A/C suddenly pooped out on me. Before I spend a bunch of money I don't have getting it serviced, I thought I'd see if you guys had any tips. Everyone keeps telling me it's probably the freon, but I would think if it was the freon, my A/C would gradually get warmer. It worked in the morning, and didn't later that evening. Is there a good way to tell if it's the freon, compressor, or clutch? It's getting pretty hot here in Texas, so I've gotta get this fixed!

I feel your pain on that one man, I also live in Tx, and in the mornings sometimes it will work, but when it's like 100* outside, it blows hot air..
    1995 Formula M6- Red... Throttle body airfoil, K & N FIPK2, TB bypass

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

First lets see of you have a vacuum leak. Do your front vents still work? Or does air only come out of the defrost duct?

white
    2002 z28

same prob on winter car. does the blower mtr still blow? or does it just blow barley when your at speed? .

if the blower sttill turns on it might be time fro some free on but there still more to deciepher.

if it doesnt blow its the motor. or just something stupid.

$43 fix for me at auto zone, hope its that simple for you, if it is i think its just 3 screws or something

Red
    1998 A4 TA

yes, all the vents are working and blowing air. i'll try recharging it with freon on the morning. hopefully that's all it is, but i have a feeling i'm going to be wasting my money. it just doesn't make sense that it would cut out so suddenly...

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Hopefully it is just that, i mean you are in texas damit! u need AC

white
    2002 z28

shit im in detroit and i need it, 95-96 all this week, i know itts not texas but damm

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Check your AC belt

Red
    1998 A4 TA

I had my A/C checked out today. The culprit was the compressor, and to have it replaced ( along with the orifice tube and accumulator ) would cost around $1,200. I think I'm going to just hit up some local junk yards for a compressor. What is the orifice tube? Do I need to replace the accumulator and orifice tube, or is that just something auto shops like to tack on?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrad2 View Post
    I had my A/C checked out today. The culprit was the compressor, and to have it replaced ( along with the orifice tube and accumulator ) would cost around $1,200. I think I'm going to just hit up some local junk yards for a compressor. What is the orifice tube? Do I need to replace the accumulator and orifice tube, or is that just something auto shops like to tack on?
    Are you sure? Some shops will rip you off bro so be careful. They know you'll buy into whatever they say especially when it's hot as hell outside and you want a/c. So instead of chargeing you $70 for a vaccum and recharge they charge you $1,200 for parts you don't need.

There's a low pressure switch that clicks the compressor off and prevents it from coming on when the freon gets low...it's there to prevent the compressor from burning itself out. If I was you i'd disconnect the harness from the switch and jump it...if the clutch (triangle looking thing) in the compressor kicks on then it's probably good.

Red
    1998 A4 TA

Before I took it to the shop I bought one of those recharge kits with a gauge, but when I plugged it in, the pressure was way into the red zone. It was reading 130 psi, and 45 psi was the max if I remember correctly. I can see the clutch engaging when I turn on the A/C.

The shop I took it to told me that the valve body inside the compressor is what crapped out. BTW, they wanted to charge me 550 for a compressor. Autozone sells them for under $300. I'm definitely going to swap it out this weekend, but do I need a new accumulator and orifice tube?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Orifice tube is a common item that can go bad.....the accumulator???? I'm not so sure.

Thread Information