A/C fuse blown

This is a discussion on A/C fuse blown within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey guys/gals.. I hope you can guide me in the right direction. The other day i noticed my air conditioning ...

white/black
    2002 Camaro Z28

A/C fuse blown

Hey guys/gals.. I hope you can guide me in the right direction. The other day i noticed my air conditioning had gone out. I had a new compressor put in no more than a year and a half ago. All had been fine and there was no sign that it was going bad. From one day to the next it quit. I noticed that at the same time my cruise control failed to engage. I pulled the a/c / cruise fuse in the engine bay fuse box and found that the 15A mini blade fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse, turned on the car and a/c and noticed there was no cooling. I turned off the car and checked the fuse to find it had blown again. I know there is most likely a short... but can anyone tell me where to check first? I have not done any work to the car recently.. and all other systems seem fine. I replaced the ls1 with and ls6 but that was over 4k miles ago.. and i had the tranny rebuilt and replaced all the hydrulics with tick perf. products. That was at least 1500 miles ago.. any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks..

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You might have to trace the wires from that fuse receptacle and look for any exposed wiring or a bad ground.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Its somewhat common for a bad AC compressor clutch coil to draw too much current and blow the fuse. Try unplugging the AC compressor and see it the fuse blows or not.

white/black
    2002 Camaro Z28

can the a/c compressor clutch coil be drawing more current because of a bad idler pulley? I have one pulley that is squealing and it has a real stubborn torx bolt that i can't break with the tools i have. The compressor belt is riding on the back side of this pulley.. it is the upper pulley of the two used by the compressor.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

nope. The clutch coil is just an electromagnet that sucks the clutch into the pulley. The pulley doesn't move.

white/black
    2002 Camaro Z28

is the clutch replaceable on a 2002 camaro or is it only available as a compressor/clutch assembly?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I think you can replace it on its own.

Thread Information