Thread: A/C Accum/Dryer

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

A/C Accum/Dryer

I have a leak in the A/C manifold line, the thing that goes from the a/c accumulator / dryer to the compressor to the radiator.

Do you need to replace the accumulator / dryer when doing this?

I'm 102k miles. It blows nice cold air, when it has plenty of 134 in it. I will replace the accum/dryer if I have to, but if i don't then why bother.

thanks

kool-aide

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    I have a leak in the A/C manifold line, the thing that goes from the a/c accumulator / dryer to the compressor to the radiator.

Do you need to replace the accumulator / dryer when doing this?

I'm 102k miles. It blows nice cold air, when it has plenty of 134 in it. I will replace the accum/dryer if I have to, but if i don't then why bother.

thanks

kool-aide
    As far as I know, any time you expose your system to air (which you will when you replace the hose) you'll have to replace the accum./dryer. The dryer function of the part removes any moisture in the Freon. If you don't, the moisture could freeze in the lines or in the expansion valve, thus rendering the A/C inoperative. When they vacuum out the system prior to recharging it, they get out all of the air but not necessarily all of the moisture, depending upon how long your system was open to the atmosphere. You could luck out: if the system isn't open too long it might still work after it's recharged because it hasn't absorbed too much moisture - but then again it might not! Why waste the time, labor, Freon and risk possible damage to the A/C system by not replacing the accumulator? If the system doesn't work, you're going to have to replace the accumulator the second time around anyway and incur more labor charges to boot.
    Of course, you could simply keep recharging the system if it's a slow leak....

Last edited by Fastcar; 06-22-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

but what makes a new accum / dryer air tight? Are the ends capped off or something?

also i was thinking do you take to compressor off to mount the new manifold line? Its in a tough location, a real bad blind area.

i learned with my front shocks not to skimp on parts. if the dryer should be replaced, then it will. I just don't want to expose a new dryer and have it damage something.

thanks

Thread Information